V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
https://vimeo.com/192495876

I hope this link works.

I got to watch this yesterday in a training class. I feel that it is worth watching!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
PPE is important!

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
At work and hunting, I hope they watch the video.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same exact thing happened to my moms cousin. Has lived his whole adult life that way because of it. Wish I could find the video expose a local news channel did on him back in the 70s where he was working in the army ammunition plant and then again just a couple years ago where he was working in a local meat cutting shop.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sobering.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It doesn’t take long to get hurt!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got this in my inbox earlier this week.

Tree Stand Accidents – A Tree Stand Fall I’ll Never Forget

By Joe Baya | Oct 31, 2019

I wake from my dream with the bed sheets damp from my sweat. I’m still shaken, panicked from that feeling of weightlessness, a feeling where I’m perpetually falling, waiting on impact. It’s a dream I’ve had before and will have again. You never forget tree stand accidents like mine, but I’m thankful for it. I’m thankful I won’t ever put my family and myself through that experience again. I’m thankful and I’m reminded daily how precious life is to you and the ones who love you. Climbing tree stand accidents are a reality of the past time, but with a little preparation and common sense, they don’t have to be. Don’t lull yourself into thinking that a tree stand fall won’t happen to you.

Tree Stand Accidents – My Day to Learn

It was a beautiful Sunday, October 31, 2004. The morning was crisp with a light steady breeze. I knew exactly where I wanted to be. There was an oak flat between two fall food plots. The whitetails in the area often frequented this flat, browsing on their way from the fields back to their bedding area. It was a pretty good hike in there by southern standards, which meant I was required to have an earlier than normal wake-up call, but I didn’t mind.

Slipping through the thicket as quietly as I could, I cautiously took each step, never more than three or four without stopping, just like a deer. Finally, after painstakingly making my way through the dark autumn forest, I arrived at my post. A red oak, probably 100 years old or more, is where I would stand guard for the next four hours.

I found an old stand here years ago. Knowing how much time and energy it took to put up that old wooden stand way back in the woods, I was confident enough to replace it with one of my own.

As I took my first step onto the steps leading up to my stand, my stomach rose into my throat. I had left camp without my safety harness. Returning now would mean I wouldn’t arrive back at my tree for at least an hour. This would be well after daylight and during the hours when those whitetails would be heading back, hopefully, right under my tree to their bed.

I would be fine, I thought. I knew tree stand accidents were possible, but climbing this tree just this one time without my harness wouldn’t hurt anything. Heck, I’d been up and down this tree 20 or 30 times before without so much as a slip. In fact, I’d never had any tree stand fall whatsoever. No reason to ruin a good hunt.

I took my first step into the sky, just as quietly as I had made my way to the stand. 10 feet turned into 30. In seconds, I was taking my final fateful step onto the platform of my loc-on. I pulled my bow and pack up and then quietly knocked an arrow. I had made it, unscathed, and was ready for the morning hunt.

The crunch of leaves to my right broke me from my daydream. I slowly turned my head and immediately caught a glimpse of an antler. A nice 8-pointer was slipping his way through the oaks, stopping occasionally to munch on an acorns and briars. He passed just out of range of my bow, off to his bed for the day, which would soon warm to near 80 degrees.
My Tree Stand Fall

The rest of the morning would prove beautiful, but uneventful, at least as far as hunting was concerned. It was nearly 10 a.m. and it was time for me to get back to camp. I gathered my gear and lowered it to the ground. I stood to stretch my body, stiffened from the long sit. I took one last look around, and that’s when my world got turned upside down. It happened to me, I had a tree stand fall.

You see, back then I used metal bolts as my steps to climb the tree. We would take a long drill bit and make a hole deep enough to support the bolt, then stagger them and climb. On this particular tree, I had one bolt well above my stand. I would use this bolt along with a sturdy tree limb to hoist myself onto the platform and to hold onto as I took my first step off.

Maybe it was my foggy brain state after such an early morning. Maybe it was meant to be, but this morning as I took my first step down, I grabbed onto that limb on the old red oak with both hands. I was too much for the limb to hold that day.

1.43 Seconds

1.43 seconds. That is the amount of time it takes gravity to bring a 220-pound object 30 feet back to earth. They say when you have a near-death experience, your life flashes before your eyes. I can tell you they are wrong. In 1.43 seconds, I only had time to yell, “Oh s%$&!”. I tumbled backward and somehow had the wherewithal to tuck my shoulder and brace for impact. I was lucky to land flush on my right side.

31 miles per hour. That’s the speed that a 220-pound object dropped from 30 feet impacts the ground. I’d played years of football and took my fair share of tumbles off the monkey bars, but this was nothing like I had ever felt before. I lay there on the leaf litter trying to take a breath.

The landing knocked the breath out of me, quite literally, as one lung collapsed on impact. It wouldn’t come back for what I guess was nearly two minutes. That’s when they say my lung expanded again. My liver and spleen were lacerated and I broke my pelvis in two places. The remaining force fractured my L4 and L5 vertebrae, along with my foot, and sent searing pain throughout my body.

This is when my life flashed before my eyes. I remembered Davis, my hunting mentor, handing my brother and me two new safety harnesses. We were NEVER to get off the ground without one. I thought about how disappointed he would be with me. How I had let him down. I began to think about my parents, my siblings, even that girl I was trying to get to go on a date with me back at school. I’d heard many stories about various types of climbing tree stand accidents, but I never thought I’d be the one to have one, but here I was.

I realized that none of them expected me home until near dark. They wouldn’t even start to worry until late in the evening if they hadn’t heard from me. This meant I would be in these woods all day and into the night with rescue most likely coming in the early hours of the morning on the next day. The mosquitoes were already buzzing; I wasn‘t waiting. I decided I had to get back to the camp to call for help.

I dragged myself across the ground to my bow, which lay near me. I was able to use it, along with all my available strength — and that old red oak — to struggle to my feet. I thought I would use it as a crutch.

Tree Stand Accidents – A Pain Like Nothing I’ve Felt Before

That first attempted step sent a pain through me like nothing I had felt before or since. As the bones in my pelvis shifted, I immediately passed out. I woke, not sure how long after, with my face in the leaves and feeling drunk like the sky was spinning above me. I would try it again, foolishly, this time with the same results. I would awaken to accept my fate.

“It shouldn’t be too bad, I thought, spending the night in the woods. These mosquitoes suck, but they are only biting my face. Surely, the coyotes won’t bother a human.” I remembered I had a lighter in my pack, another rule Davis taught me, so at least I’d be able to build a small fire.

I can’t describe how it feels to be alone in the woods, helpless. I lay there for the better part of five hours, calling as loudly as I could every 20 minutes or so. “HELP!!!” “HELP!!!” There was no gun to fire my three warning shots. No flares to send up. No phone to call or text. Just me and my thoughts, wondering why I had been so stupid to have a tree stand accident and how bad my injuries were.

At around 2:30 p.m., I thought I heard a truck door close. I began calling out again. This time, my calls were answered. As fate would have it, two hunters had noticed my truck still parked at my camp and had come by as they left for home. When they realized I hadn’t returned, they set out to the area that I had signed to hunt that morning fearing I may have had tree stand fall or worse. They told me that they had almost just headed home, but they just decided to poke their head in since they hadn’t seen me milling about camp. It was a lucky break.
Found!

Upon finding me, they immediately began trying to figure out how to get me out. We didn’t know if I had a spinal injury or not, but since most tree stand accidents happen where cell phone reception is poor, there was no way to contact an ambulance from our position or get a helicopter into those woods, it was decided we had to do it ourselves.

These two men raced back to camp and retrieved an ATV, a ladder and a piece of roofing tin. Through some redneck ingenuity, they were able to fashion a stretcher of sorts and attach one end to the back of the ATV. I was able to pull myself onto the makeshift stretcher and one man drove while the other carried the other end of the ladder. We slowly made the bumpy ride out of the woods to the road where the truck awaited me. Every bump sent pain throughout my body. There were a lot of bumps.

Once back at camp, they were able to summon an ambulance to come to my aid. It took nearly an hour for the ambulance to reach our location and another 45 minutes strapped to a spine board to get to the first of three emergency rooms I would visit.

Upon arriving, I was wheeled into the emergency room and a battery of tests began. X-Ray, MRI and a CAT scan assessed the damage done internally. IVs were administered for the dehydration and pain, and worst of all, a catheter was inserted because I couldn’t relieve myself.

My family members, well alerted by this time, were making their way to see me from all over the region. Mid trip, they were told I would be moved to a better hospital, and they all had to double back to meet me there.

I would spend five days at this hospital undergoing a humiliating and painful series of tests and treatments. I scared everyone. It was like I could watch them age right before my eyes. After five days, my internal organs had stopped bleeding and I was cleared to continue my recovery at home. Finally, off the painkillers, the beeping machines, and the constant testing, I could go home to get some rest.

Another Fall

Again, I wake from my dream, my clothes soaked with sweat. I’m panicked from that feeling of weightlessness, that feeling like I‘m perpetually falling, waiting on impact. Face down in the carpet, I realize this isn’t a dream. It’s the morning of the 11th day since my accident. After five days of having my family help me bathe, go to the bathroom, and put their lives on hold to aid me, I’ve taken another fall.

I was having breakfast that morning when I noticed a strange pain in my left shoulder. It was a sharp pain. Later, I would learn it was called Kehr’s sign. I didn’t know what it was at the time, so I stood on my crutches to relieve what I thought might be heartburn. Upon standing, I became extremely dizzy and passed out. After snapping to, soaked with sweat, I was able to muster enough energy to climb back into my chair and dial my mother.

You see, this was the first day she had felt comfortable to leave my side since my tree stand accident. She decided to go quickly into town to run an errand or two. By the time she could return, I would be in shock. This is what caused the sweating, so profuse that I would actually stop shortly thereafter, as my body had no more to produce. It also caused me temporary blindness. I had to listen to what was going on around me.

I remember the ambulance ride, listening to the buzzing sirens and the paramedics talking with the hospital. I remember thinking to myself, “I wonder what people are thinking about this ambulance going down the road. I bet they are wondering who is inside it and what is wrong.” That’s what I had always thought when I had seen an ambulance.
Tree Stand Accidents – A Close Encounter With Death

Upon arrival at the third emergency room, it was onto another round of tests and treatments. I would soon learn that I required emergency surgery to remove my spleen that had ruptured. Apparently, spleens are known for splinting themselves at the onset of injury and then rupturing later. The pain I had felt in my left shoulder was a referred nerve pain caused by abdomen filling with blood.

The anesthesia was given as quickly as possible, and I was told that another hour without treatment would have resulted in my death due to blood loss. The doctor told me how lucky I was that this didn’t happen the day I had my tree stand accident. That day would have been my last. Again, I watched the faces of my family members aging with stress as I lay flat on the gurney and was wheeled off into the recesses of the hospital.

The surgery was a success. Around seven pints of blood were removed, which is about half of my body’s total. I required two blood transfusions to replace it. I spent another five days in the hospital, three in the intensive care unit, and received another catheter and an IV in my carotid artery.

I was placed on every pain medication you can imagine. I also had multiple drain tubes, one in my abdomen and one down my nose into my stomach. Every few minutes, that tube would suck the remaining blood and who knows what else from inside me. Green, black and red fluid all passed through the tube taped just under my left eye. I struggled to rid a fever, the doctor’s monitored this closely. Another round of humiliation was dispensed when only a suppository medication would finally relieve it.
A Full Recovery

My tree stand accident required me to withdraw from college for the semester. All in all, I was bedridden for over 30 days and on crutches for another 50 after that. When I fell from the tree, I weighed 220 pounds. My first day on crutches I weighed 180. Despite this, I would go on to make a full recovery. I would take on the remainder of my classes the following semester, working double to catch up.

I was so lucky. Tree stand accidents like mine usually result in paralysis or death. I still experience pain in my pelvis and lower back to this day, and I have a weakened immune system without my spleen. This means I get sick easier. I have to watch my diet and exercise more than the average person. What a blessing.

Through the pain and the humiliation, the worst part about this entire accident was the stress that I watched my family go through. Luckily, I was just a young man of 19 and I didn’t have a wife or kids. Seeing the worry and fear in my parents and siblings was bad, but I can only imagine what that would do to a child. Now having a son of my own, I can’t fathom what my parents must have been feeling.

I will say that despite everything, I’m glad this fall happened. It has taught me the preciousness of life, the value of family, and the importance of protecting yourself from tree stand accidents. I urge you to wear a safety harness AND use a climbing rope system when you plan to hunt above the ground. When do most accidents involving tree stands occur? When you’re climbing up or down, and that is precisely when most hunters are disconnected from the tree.

DO NOT DISCONNECT YOURSELF FROM THE TREE AT ANY TIME UNTIL YOUR FEET ARE BACK ON THE GROUND.

There is no good excuse not to. My tree stand fall medical bills tallied more than $250,000.00, so don’t tell me you can’t afford it. Stay connected or stay on the ground. It’s that simple.

So, as I slip off to sleep tonight, I wonder if I’ll have the dream again. You know, the one where I’m falling, perpetually, waiting for impact. I hope I’ll sleep soundly. I can find comfort in knowing that since you’ve heard my story, maybe you won’t have a story of your own.

BUY A SAFETY HARNESS AND LIFELINES OR LINEMAN’S BELT SYSTEM RIGHT NOW!!

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I am thankful that since the 5th grade I have needed glasses for distance. I have never fired any type of firearm, air gun or bow without glasses on. Hunting especially bird hunting every single time. I know a skeet referee who lost his shooting eye to one number 9 shot that bounced off a target and blinded his eye. He didn’t have glasses on that day. Also had an acquaintance who damaged an eye fly fishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safety Glasses at one time were always cumbersome, uncomfortable and uncool...

I struggled with keeping my crews wearing them, especially the younger guys.

Today, I still buy them by the case and hand them out like candy. If I have to give the same guy a new pair every day, that's fine I don't complain.

Even my lawn services crew as well as my neighbors wear safety glasses I've given them. They wear them all the time.

Never had any incidents, it's just something I've always done for no real reason other than it seemed to be a good thing to do and I could afford to do it.

Can't say it's ever saved anyone from any injury, how would ya know?

If ya want guys to wear them they have to be comfortable and cool and replace the need for sunglasses.

I buy these in Amber, Dark Smoke, Light Smoke and Clear. I get them on Amazon for around 5 bucks a pair give or take. Some of the guys I give them to have one or two pairs of each. If I see a guy wearing them and they appear to be getting scratched up I make it a point to give him a new pair..

[Linked Image from constructiongear.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safety is very relaxed at my work, I know there are
offices that are more stringent than our factory.

I'm a careful worker, growing up on farms and logging
tend to teach that. However, I'm terrible about PPE.
Wearing glasses for 40 years has been a good thing I guess.

As a shortsighted person wearing glasses, I have been protected.
However, I now find bifocals don't work everywhere.
Recently I have caught myself with my glasses down on my nose,
Face right up on a grinder, squinting at my work.

That's a WTF are you doing moment!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for sharing Viking!. That is a real slap-in-the-face wake up call.....

I'm guilty of not following the same safety practices at home that are required at work.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
I got this in my inbox earlier this week.

By Joe Baya | Oct 31, 2019

I wake from my dream with the bed sheets damp from my sweat. I’m still shaken, panicked from that feeling of weightlessness, a feeling where I’m perpetually falling, waiting on impact. It’s a dream I’ve had before and will have again. You never forget tree stand accidents like mine, but I’m thankful for it. I’m thankful I won’t ever put my family and myself through that experience again. I’m thankful and I’m reminded daily how precious life is to you and the ones who love you. Climbing tree stand accidents are a reality of the past time, but with a little preparation and common sense, they don’t have to be. Don’t lull yourself into thinking that a tree stand fall won’t happen to you.

Tree Stand Accidents – My Day to Learn

It was a beautiful Sunday, October 31, 2004. The morning was crisp with a light steady breeze. I knew exactly where I wanted to be. There was an oak flat between two fall food plots. The whitetails in the area often frequented this flat, browsing on their way from the fields back to their bedding area. It was a pretty good hike in there by southern standards, which meant I was required to have an earlier than normal wake-up call, but I didn’t mind.

Slipping through the thicket as quietly as I could, I cautiously took each step, never more than three or four without stopping, just like a deer. Finally, after painstakingly making my way through the dark autumn forest, I arrived at my post. A red oak, probably 100 years old or more, is where I would stand guard for the next four hours.

I found an old stand here years ago. Knowing how much time and energy it took to put up that old wooden stand way back in the woods, I was confident enough to replace it with one of my own.

As I took my first step onto the steps leading up to my stand, my stomach rose into my throat. I had left camp without my safety harness. Returning now would mean I wouldn’t arrive back at my tree for at least an hour. This would be well after daylight and during the hours when those whitetails would be heading back, hopefully, right under my tree to their bed.

I would be fine, I thought. I knew tree stand accidents were possible, but climbing this tree just this one time without my harness wouldn’t hurt anything. Heck, I’d been up and down this tree 20 or 30 times before without so much as a slip. In fact, I’d never had any tree stand fall whatsoever. No reason to ruin a good hunt.

I took my first step into the sky, just as quietly as I had made my way to the stand. 10 feet turned into 30. In seconds, I was taking my final fateful step onto the platform of my loc-on. I pulled my bow and pack up and then quietly knocked an arrow. I had made it, unscathed, and was ready for the morning hunt.

The crunch of leaves to my right broke me from my daydream. I slowly turned my head and immediately caught a glimpse of an antler. A nice 8-pointer was slipping his way through the oaks, stopping occasionally to munch on an acorns and briars. He passed just out of range of my bow, off to his bed for the day, which would soon warm to near 80 degrees.
My Tree Stand Fall

The rest of the morning would prove beautiful, but uneventful, at least as far as hunting was concerned. It was nearly 10 a.m. and it was time for me to get back to camp. I gathered my gear and lowered it to the ground. I stood to stretch my body, stiffened from the long sit. I took one last look around, and that’s when my world got turned upside down. It happened to me, I had a tree stand fall.

You see, back then I used metal bolts as my steps to climb the tree. We would take a long drill bit and make a hole deep enough to support the bolt, then stagger them and climb. On this particular tree, I had one bolt well above my stand. I would use this bolt along with a sturdy tree limb to hoist myself onto the platform and to hold onto as I took my first step off.

Maybe it was my foggy brain state after such an early morning. Maybe it was meant to be, but this morning as I took my first step down, I grabbed onto that limb on the old red oak with both hands. I was too much for the limb to hold that day.

1.43 Seconds

1.43 seconds. That is the amount of time it takes gravity to bring a 220-pound object 30 feet back to earth. They say when you have a near-death experience, your life flashes before your eyes. I can tell you they are wrong. In 1.43 seconds, I only had time to yell, “Oh s%$&!”. I tumbled backward and somehow had the wherewithal to tuck my shoulder and brace for impact. I was lucky to land flush on my right side.

31 miles per hour. That’s the speed that a 220-pound object dropped from 30 feet impacts the ground. I’d played years of football and took my fair share of tumbles off the monkey bars, but this was nothing like I had ever felt before. I lay there on the leaf litter trying to take a breath.

The landing knocked the breath out of me, quite literally, as one lung collapsed on impact. It wouldn’t come back for what I guess was nearly two minutes. That’s when they say my lung expanded again. My liver and spleen were lacerated and I broke my pelvis in two places. The remaining force fractured my L4 and L5 vertebrae, along with my foot, and sent searing pain throughout my body.

This is when my life flashed before my eyes. I remembered Davis, my hunting mentor, handing my brother and me two new safety harnesses. We were NEVER to get off the ground without one. I thought about how disappointed he would be with me. How I had let him down. I began to think about my parents, my siblings, even that girl I was trying to get to go on a date with me back at school. I’d heard many stories about various types of climbing tree stand accidents, but I never thought I’d be the one to have one, but here I was.

I realized that none of them expected me home until near dark. They wouldn’t even start to worry until late in the evening if they hadn’t heard from me. This meant I would be in these woods all day and into the night with rescue most likely coming in the early hours of the morning on the next day. The mosquitoes were already buzzing; I wasn‘t waiting. I decided I had to get back to the camp to call for help.

I dragged myself across the ground to my bow, which lay near me. I was able to use it, along with all my available strength — and that old red oak — to struggle to my feet. I thought I would use it as a crutch.

Tree Stand Accidents – A Pain Like Nothing I’ve Felt Before

That first attempted step sent a pain through me like nothing I had felt before or since. As the bones in my pelvis shifted, I immediately passed out. I woke, not sure how long after, with my face in the leaves and feeling drunk like the sky was spinning above me. I would try it again, foolishly, this time with the same results. I would awaken to accept my fate.

“It shouldn’t be too bad, I thought, spending the night in the woods. These mosquitoes suck, but they are only biting my face. Surely, the coyotes won’t bother a human.” I remembered I had a lighter in my pack, another rule Davis taught me, so at least I’d be able to build a small fire.

I can’t describe how it feels to be alone in the woods, helpless. I lay there for the better part of five hours, calling as loudly as I could every 20 minutes or so. “HELP!!!” “HELP!!!” There was no gun to fire my three warning shots. No flares to send up. No phone to call or text. Just me and my thoughts, wondering why I had been so stupid to have a tree stand accident and how bad my injuries were.

At around 2:30 p.m., I thought I heard a truck door close. I began calling out again. This time, my calls were answered. As fate would have it, two hunters had noticed my truck still parked at my camp and had come by as they left for home. When they realized I hadn’t returned, they set out to the area that I had signed to hunt that morning fearing I may have had tree stand fall or worse. They told me that they had almost just headed home, but they just decided to poke their head in since they hadn’t seen me milling about camp. It was a lucky break.
Found!

Upon finding me, they immediately began trying to figure out how to get me out. We didn’t know if I had a spinal injury or not, but since most tree stand accidents happen where cell phone reception is poor, there was no way to contact an ambulance from our position or get a helicopter into those woods, it was decided we had to do it ourselves.

These two men raced back to camp and retrieved an ATV, a ladder and a piece of roofing tin. Through some redneck ingenuity, they were able to fashion a stretcher of sorts and attach one end to the back of the ATV. I was able to pull myself onto the makeshift stretcher and one man drove while the other carried the other end of the ladder. We slowly made the bumpy ride out of the woods to the road where the truck awaited me. Every bump sent pain throughout my body. There were a lot of bumps.

Once back at camp, they were able to summon an ambulance to come to my aid. It took nearly an hour for the ambulance to reach our location and another 45 minutes strapped to a spine board to get to the first of three emergency rooms I would visit.

Upon arriving, I was wheeled into the emergency room and a battery of tests began. X-Ray, MRI and a CAT scan assessed the damage done internally. IVs were administered for the dehydration and pain, and worst of all, a catheter was inserted because I couldn’t relieve myself.

My family members, well alerted by this time, were making their way to see me from all over the region. Mid trip, they were told I would be moved to a better hospital, and they all had to double back to meet me there.

I would spend five days at this hospital undergoing a humiliating and painful series of tests and treatments. I scared everyone. It was like I could watch them age right before my eyes. After five days, my internal organs had stopped bleeding and I was cleared to continue my recovery at home. Finally, off the painkillers, the beeping machines, and the constant testing, I could go home to get some rest.

Another Fall

Again, I wake from my dream, my clothes soaked with sweat. I’m panicked from that feeling of weightlessness, that feeling like I‘m perpetually falling, waiting on impact. Face down in the carpet, I realize this isn’t a dream. It’s the morning of the 11th day since my accident. After five days of having my family help me bathe, go to the bathroom, and put their lives on hold to aid me, I’ve taken another fall.

I was having breakfast that morning when I noticed a strange pain in my left shoulder. It was a sharp pain. Later, I would learn it was called Kehr’s sign. I didn’t know what it was at the time, so I stood on my crutches to relieve what I thought might be heartburn. Upon standing, I became extremely dizzy and passed out. After snapping to, soaked with sweat, I was able to muster enough energy to climb back into my chair and dial my mother.

You see, this was the first day she had felt comfortable to leave my side since my tree stand accident. She decided to go quickly into town to run an errand or two. By the time she could return, I would be in shock. This is what caused the sweating, so profuse that I would actually stop shortly thereafter, as my body had no more to produce. It also caused me temporary blindness. I had to listen to what was going on around me.

I remember the ambulance ride, listening to the buzzing sirens and the paramedics talking with the hospital. I remember thinking to myself, “I wonder what people are thinking about this ambulance going down the road. I bet they are wondering who is inside it and what is wrong.” That’s what I had always thought when I had seen an ambulance.
Tree Stand Accidents – A Close Encounter With Death

Upon arrival at the third emergency room, it was onto another round of tests and treatments. I would soon learn that I required emergency surgery to remove my spleen that had ruptured. Apparently, spleens are known for splinting themselves at the onset of injury and then rupturing later. The pain I had felt in my left shoulder was a referred nerve pain caused by abdomen filling with blood.

The anesthesia was given as quickly as possible, and I was told that another hour without treatment would have resulted in my death due to blood loss. The doctor told me how lucky I was that this didn’t happen the day I had my tree stand accident. That day would have been my last. Again, I watched the faces of my family members aging with stress as I lay flat on the gurney and was wheeled off into the recesses of the hospital.

The surgery was a success. Around seven pints of blood were removed, which is about half of my body’s total. I required two blood transfusions to replace it. I spent another five days in the hospital, three in the intensive care unit, and received another catheter and an IV in my carotid artery.

I was placed on every pain medication you can imagine. I also had multiple drain tubes, one in my abdomen and one down my nose into my stomach. Every few minutes, that tube would suck the remaining blood and who knows what else from inside me. Green, black and red fluid all passed through the tube taped just under my left eye. I struggled to rid a fever, the doctor’s monitored this closely. Another round of humiliation was dispensed when only a suppository medication would finally relieve it.
A Full Recovery

My tree stand accident required me to withdraw from college for the semester. All in all, I was bedridden for over 30 days and on crutches for another 50 after that. When I fell from the tree, I weighed 220 pounds. My first day on crutches I weighed 180. Despite this, I would go on to make a full recovery. I would take on the remainder of my classes the following semester, working double to catch up.

I was so lucky. Tree stand accidents like mine usually result in paralysis or death. I still experience pain in my pelvis and lower back to this day, and I have a weakened immune system without my spleen. This means I get sick easier. I have to watch my diet and exercise more than the average person. What a blessing.

Through the pain and the humiliation, the worst part about this entire accident was the stress that I watched my family go through. Luckily, I was just a young man of 19 and I didn’t have a wife or kids. Seeing the worry and fear in my parents and siblings was bad, but I can only imagine what that would do to a child. Now having a son of my own, I can’t fathom what my parents must have been feeling.

I will say that despite everything, I’m glad this fall happened. It has taught me the preciousness of life, the value of family, and the importance of protecting yourself from tree stand accidents. I urge you to wear a safety harness AND use a climbing rope system when you plan to hunt above the ground. When do most accidents involving tree stands occur? When you’re climbing up or down, and that is precisely when most hunters are disconnected from the tree.

DO NOT DISCONNECT YOURSELF FROM THE TREE AT ANY TIME UNTIL YOUR FEET ARE BACK ON THE GROUND.

There is no good excuse not to. My tree stand fall medical bills tallied more than $250,000.00, so don’t tell me you can’t afford it. Stay connected or stay on the ground. It’s that simple.

So, as I slip off to sleep tonight, I wonder if I’ll have the dream again. You know, the one where I’m falling, perpetually, waiting for impact. I hope I’ll sleep soundly. I can find comfort in knowing that since you’ve heard my story, maybe you won’t have a story of your own.

BUY A SAFETY HARNESS AND LIFELINES OR LINEMAN’S BELT SYSTEM RIGHT NOW!!
I can never fall farther than 6'...because that's how tall I am. We don't use stands for muleys or elk. I have taken a few falls on steep slick hills, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Safety is very relaxed at my work, I know there are
offices that are more stringent than our factory.

The lack of available basic PPE, and training in industrial settings has always been a pet peeve of mine.
It blatantly shows a corporation places finances over employee safety.

PPE and everything related to it is very spendy.

It typically takes a huge gross negligence lawsuit to change their minds which sucks because that often involves loss of limb or life.
If a settlement isn't large enough to exceed their insurances limits it seldom has any effect.

Such as yourself, I too was affiliated with a large corporation that built and owned their own factories.
I was the squeaky wheel on safety, they had none, no gear, no training no nothing.

As years rolled along things changed, most due to injury related lawsuits, OSHA and insurance company requirements.

Biggest problem with that company today is even though they now have a huge safety department, all the PPE one would ever want as well as safety inspectors onsite at all times, they still build unsafe factories and try to band-aid on safety after the fact.

It all surrounds around costs and liabilities.

If they can prove they offered training and had the proper equipment onsite it limits their liabilities in court.
Don't matter so much if their safety equipment isn't applicable to the environment unless you have one hel'ov a good attorney.
Fighting multi-billion dollar corporations isn't very easy.
Limiting liabilities is their soul concern.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that. I'm retired now but worked in a power plant and got steady safety reminders at work. Now that I'm retired It's beginning to dawn on me that I'm not as safety conscious as I once was. That video is a good reminder to not get too careless.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think it was 1991 when I bought my first climbing tree stand. It was at a time when climbers were becoming a thing. So I bought the cheapest API that they made at the time.The thing was bolted together, not welded. It was before safety harnesses were recommended, but safety belts were what was used mostly. So I bought one because I wasn't too cool with heights. Later on, we find out that belts are almost as bad as nothing at all. If you fall with a belt on, you get hung upside down and then die, or the belt slips off your azz and then you fall head first.

I used that stand for a few years. One morning after bow hunting, as I was climbing down, the bottom half of the tree stand broke. Mechanical failures are beyond your control. I basically caught myself, with the help of the safety belt, on the top half of the stand. Scared the schit out of me. Luckily I was only about 15' off the ground. I pulled myself up on the remaining half and sat on it in order to regain my composure and clean my drawers out. I unhooked the safety rope, lowered myself down and hung from the stand from my hands and carefully dropped to the ground with some control.

I always wear a climbing harness whenever I leave the ground.

It happens quick. I fell off of a piece of machinery at work one time. It was only about 10' and I landed on concrete on my side. Had 3 broken ribs and a concussion.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's complicated Jeff.

The place opened in the 60's. Built here, by a huge multinational, because the labor force
was desperate, and unions weren't a big thing.

Safety, especially environmental was horrible. Birds would get in, fly around
in the ceiling, and die very quickly.

They quickly unionized, mostly for safety.

Sold in the 1990's, and skeletonized management.

We have a safety consultant, and programs. PPE is readily available,
but there are no standards requiring use. Strictly as needed, determined
by the employee.
With the exception of gloves for solvents, and in the more extreme uses
respirators, it's not used much.

It's like at home, except PPE is available and free.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I take way too many chances with my eyes.

No doubt it will bite me someday.

I am MAGA.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Important speech there.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 30 years ago, I was chiseling on a piece of stone. As I hammered away on this rock, a small splinter flew off of my chisel and stuck in my cheek just below my eye. If it had hit my eye ball, it probably would have put my eye out. That's when I started wearing safety glasses.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What?

Excuse me?

I'm sorry, I didn't hear what you said.

If you've ever been to a 24HCF get-together, these are common phrases. There's also lots of friendly shouting. LOL.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.