Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Was considering spray foaming my attic. Either closed or open cell.... So... do I do the attic floor and not the roof rafters ? Just the roof rafters and gable ends? Or both ?

My ac air handler unit is in the attic. The foam company said I should do foam on the roof rafters. Said it would help the unit more and keep the home warm. Everything I read is floor! Anyone?

Google says attic floor!

GB4

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm no expert,...but common sense tells me that if you keep the heat below the attic floor it won't get the opportunity to go out the roof.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just the floor. Keep a cold roof. You should look at blown in cellulose.

Make sure to baffle between the rafters at the side wall to maintain soffit ventilation.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The squirrels prefer the pink cotton candy. So, they'll be disappointed.

Expect reprisals

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had my whole house done in spray foam. Upon recommendation of my builder, we did open cell on the walls and closed cell on the roof. My electric bills average about $125/month, which in Texas, is exceptional. My builder thinks the low energy consumption is from being air tight as much as from the R value. Could be. We have to crack a window for the wood burning stove to get enough of a draw until it’s good and hot.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I had my whole house done in spray foam. Upon recommendation of my builder, we did open cell on the walls and closed cell on the roof. My electric bills average about $125/month, which in Texas, is exceptional. My builder thinks the low energy consumption is from being air tight as much as from the R value. Could be. We have to crack a window for the wood burning stove to get enough of a draw until it’s good and hot.

John

So you did not do the attic floor?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
The squirrels prefer the pink cotton candy. So, they'll be disappointed.

Expect reprisals

Rodents love spray foam. I’ve opened walls that looked like the rodent version of an ant farm—store food here, defecate and dispose of the dead here, sleep and reproduce here, play and fidget here, expand tunnel network here, here, and here...

I loath Icynene. My experience is in the north where we have four extreme and distinct seasons.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

So you did not do the attic floor?

Google cold roof.

You live in the north. What they do in TX has limited relevance.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Subterranean Termites love spray foam, in crawspaces in the southeast.

They get behind it and come right up.

I used to cancel control warranties when people sprayed that chit on their foundations.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The ones that really stumped me were the ones sprayed that liquid paper pulp soul crap. Mmmm, termite candy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We super insulated the whole house. First, we installed a silver/Mylar infrared reflective film on the rafters. Then, we added to the blown-in insulation. Also added a solar-powered attic fan. Finally, we installed water-based non-expanding foam between the outer brick walls and the inner sheet rock in addition to the original insulation there.

HUGE difference. In the summer, when it hits 100° degrees, the A/C unit doesn't even kick on until late afternoon. The reflective film keeps hot air from accumulating in the attic - it doesn't get above ambient temp up there, even in summer. The foamed walls keep the heat from the bricks from radiating inside, and make the house both airtight and almost soundproof. A west-facing interior wall that always got hot to the touch now stays cool.

We could not be happier.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Kingston I've never seen the foam in the attics

See it walls down here and foundation.

Most still go with batts in the ceiling joists.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The ones that really stumped me were the ones sprayed that liquid paper pulp soul crap. Mmmm, termite candy.

Borate

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We super insulated the whole house. First, we installed a silver/Mylar infrared reflective film on the rafters. Then, we added to the blown-in insulation. Also added a solar-powered attic fan. Finally, we installed water-based non-expanding foam between the outer brick walls and the inner sheet rock in addition to the original insulation there.

HUGE difference. In the summer, when it hits 100° degrees, the A/C unit doesn't even kick on until late afternoon. The reflective film keeps hot air from accumulating in the attic - it doesn't get above ambient temp up there, even in summer. The foamed walls keep the heat from the bricks from radiating inside, and make the house both airtight and almost soundproof. A west-facing interior wall that always got hot to the touch now stays cool.

We could not be happier.

That might work in a dry climate. In one with extreme temperature, and humidity swings, it’ll rot out your roof sheathing. In the Northeast and Midwest you need a cold roof that allows air to circulate around the roof structure. It’s called a cold roof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, up here batts between the joists, blown insulation on top, continuous peak roof vents, and vented soffits.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Is that Cellulose insulation???

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I thought attic insulation needed to breathe? Fiberglass rolls, no paper unless you slash the paper.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DrDeath

Is that Cellulose insulation???

He talking about in a crawl space with ground contact or near ground contact. It would be a misapplication. Poor application and misapplication are common with insulation contractors. They typically have what is some of the least sophisticated labor in the trades.

Either way, quality cellulose insulation is treated with borates, which destroys termites ability to digest anything and they die.

None of this is an issue in your attic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I thought attic insulation needed to breathe? Fiberglass rolls, no paper unless you slash the paper.

Warm air is full of moisture, when warm air hits a cold surface you get condensation. Excess moisture results in mold and fungal activation. Mold and fungal activation lead to health issues and rots wood.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been out of the wood destroying organism biz for about 20 yrs. Seems it was a new thing at the time here then, it might not have been pre treated at that time.

Good to know if it is now.

The crap I remember looked like a mix of glue and a dump truck load of shredded financial reports. Sprayed onto a crawlspace wall. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 204guy, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,945
Posts18,480,184
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.