Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jesus, you guys! I can barely remember the year let alone a specific day! I was probably more concerned with doing something critical under the hood of the '64 Triumph TR-4 which was my daily driver than I was about an horrific incident on the high seas of Lake Superior. Either way, it was "long ago in a galaxy far away".

On the other hand, Rory, what were you doing when you heard the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor? whistle grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was busting my butt trying to get fiscal year end work done so I could get away to the UP for deer season. Fiscal year ended 10/31, and I had a mountain of closing stuff to get done for corporate. It was always a near thing, but I always made it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
On the other hand, Rory, what were you doing when you heard the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor? whistle grin

I think my mom was still in diapers... grin
But I’ve been called a Pearl Harbor baby my whole life. I’m sure I heard that before I could even talk.

I do remember where I was when I heard about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor. (Classic movie reference)

Last edited by Calhoun; 11/10/19.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had just finished the summer shearing run in Western Australia and was about to head back to New Zealand

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a junior in college out in NY

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lake Superior is the largest lake in the U.S. ~400mi. east-west, ~120 north-south & 1300 ft. deep.
The Fitz made it 375 of 400 miles to safety at Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

That lake affects all weather in the area. It's cold water. A typical June day in WI near the Apostle Islands may be sunny and 70's. If the breeze is out of the NE it's low 40's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my first tour in Germany riding tanks. laugh

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I did not know that it was that close to making it to port

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Would have been in 9th grade but don't recall the event, just the song.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 years out of school, 5 years out of the navy, 3 kids, a house and a mortgage. The song still gives me shivers. We were in a typhoon in 1968 between Nam and Japan and were told waves broke over the bow of the ship. USS America, flight deck 90 feet above the water.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in 6th grade.

Probably heard the song 300 times before I realized it was about a real shipwreck.

Wasn't big news in (very) rural upstate NY I guess...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was 4 years old. Living in Northern Wisconsin with the UP just a stones throw away, I’m sure it was a big deal, but I have no memory of it.

Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in the eighth grade chasing skirts.

"They'd have made Whitefish Bay if they'd put fifteen more miles behind her."

I am no mariner, but it looks as though if they hadn't gone to Canada, they may have been better off. Is there some nautical/navigational reason for swinging wide there? Trying to get out of the deep water? In my very limited experience it seems shallow water makes bigger waves.

Monday morning quarterback, I know.

Not trying to judge, just curious.

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
I am no mariner, but it looks as though if they hadn't gone to Canada, they may have been better off. Is there some nautical/navigational reason for swinging wide there? Trying to get out of the deep water? In my very limited experience it seems shallow water makes bigger waves.

Not a sailor either, but as I understand it the wind was out of the North, waves build across the lake North to South with the largest being in the South so the idea was to "hug" the Northern shore in an attempt to avoid big waves. There is also a theory that due to the Northern route the ship scraped bottom while passing an island which may have caused the ship to take on water. Hard to say...

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 11/12/19.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were in a typhoon in 1968 between Nam and Japan and were told waves broke over the bow of the ship. USS America, flight deck 90 feet above the water.

I was in Quinhon, Vietnam in 1968 when a typhoon was close. Thought I was going to freeze, although it was not that cold, but the temp dropped about 40 degrees. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was stationed at F.E. Warren AFB, Cheyenne, WY Minuteman III missile site manager. Worked 3 days on and 6 days off. Loved the time off for hunting and fishing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was 9 years old in 1975. I was probably climbing trees in the orchard, shooting salamanders with a homemade arrow with a dart tip, sending golf balls into the stratosphere with a baseball bat, chasing pheasants in the pole field with a Crosman BB gun, throwing hatchets at the big fir tree in the grove, fishing for rainbow trout in Mosby creek, dressing up like hippies and riding my bike in the rain, or something like that.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did I ever mention that I majored in oceanography in college. When the circular motion of the wave (water in waves that aren't in shallow enough water travel in circle) starts to hit bottom the energy starts to cause the water to move in an ellipse and the energy pushes the surface up. That is why the waves get bigger near shore. When you're at the beach the waves out quite a ways look small then they get bigger near shore. The water that spills forward on the beach is the ellipse falling apart. Once it runs out of energy the water recedes before the next wave comes in. The bigger the wave the deeper the water has to be for the water to move in a circle. If the Edmund Fitzgerald was in shallow enough water that was getting the burnt of the wind it would have been better off further off shore.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Did I ever mention that I majored in oceanography in college. When the circular motion of the wave (water in waves that aren't in shallow enough water travel in circle) starts to hit bottom the energy starts to cause the water to move in an ellipse and the energy pushes the surface up. That is why the waves get bigger near shore. When you're at the beach the waves out quite a ways look small then they get bigger near shore. The water that spills forward on the beach is the ellipse falling apart. Once it runs out of energy the water recedes before the next wave comes in. The bigger the wave the deeper the water has to be for the water to move in a circle. If the Edmund Fitzgerald was in shallow enough water that was getting the burnt of the wind it would have been better off further off shore.

I'll stick to shooting salamanders.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Senior year of high school. Remember hearing about it.

I was a senior in HS as well.

A little over a year later I was crossing the Atlantic as a young Marine, in 35 foot seas. Ship bottled up tight as a tick for 3 days.

Oh yeah...the Edmund Fitzgerald was on my mind!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (160user, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 1badf350, 75 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.