Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I took three rifles out - a 222, a 225 Win, and the new to me 6.5x55mm. I left the 6.5 reloads sitting on my desk at home though, so they go out next trip.

Here's how Hornady bulk 55s shoot from my 225 Win. These are Item no. 2266. The load was 33.0 gr of IMR 4064, OAL of 2.45 inches.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 10 shot group on the left measured 1.01 inches. The group on the right, 0.86 inches. It's a two inch bull. I did not gauge for OAL or play with the load in any way. I loaded these up as sighters for a scope. Cheap, bulk Hornadys are selling from $12 to $15/100, depending on the retailer. I should have bought 'spensive bullets. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It was a bit chilly this morning. The mercury was fighting to stay above freezing. About 34 degrees Foreignheat, or 1 degree Celsius. Just a silly poke from Mother Nature. We are supposed to get cool temps and small amounts of snowfall for the next few days.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, I know that range. Used to belong a few yrs back. When did ya join? I'm pretty sure I've seen ya before, but couldn't remember we're? Maybe there? Things got to political for me, just used the range through the week for awhile till I got a range at the house & at a buddy's place for longer range. Sometimes get invited to go shoot clays on wed. maybe our paths will cross some time. Oh yeah nice shooting, nice when a plan comes together. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been a member since 2009 You might have seen me, but I am rarely there on weekends, just the odd Sunday to pay my membership or pick up my card.

Wednesdays and Thursdays are generally when I go out. Usually, there is no one using the 100 yd range. For some reason, a few of the skeet shooters get annoyed when anyone other than a shotgunner uses the rifle range on Wednesdays. From what I've been able to determine, they feel that the whole facility is theirs on Wednesdays. smile Two fellows in particular regularly poke their noses in the door and ask, "Are you going to be long?" I find that funny because of all the lanes available, I am the only person there, but they still ask.

This was a Wednesday during the summer. I took my grandson out. As you can see, no one was there but me and him.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep! That's what I used to do too. It finally got to political. After the citiots started to join because it was pretty cheep compared to other clubs it went down hill fast. They liked the club but joined & raised prices , a lot like they like the rural areas, move in get on council change it to be much like the city???? They wanted to increase the price & get range kids to pick up their hulls??? Really? Yep. Anyway maybe our paths will cross somewhere else. Bill out, Keep yr triggers crisp. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had considered joining another club, but I would have to drive to get to it. My concern is, what happens if cousins of the people that control the OGC control the new club? Every year, something new and bizarre gets introduced by the board. The chiming door and shooting through the gap in the wall were two of the things that annoyed me the most. The only saving grace is they aggravated so many people that it's not too busy during the week.

They've changed the qualifications for RO for the fourth time in five years. Everyone who qualified the first, second, third or fourth time, had to do the course again. Mind you, the people that sign up get to wear a yellow lanyard. laugh

Just when you think they cannot come up with something more idiotic, it happens again! DNA testing cannot be too far behind. crazy

And you're right. There seems to be a lot of people from the city who are members.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i belonged to one club that had all these foolish test and rules too i am not a member there anymore.but i still have my NRA FTR numbers so that should be good enough you would think ? i have my own 100 yard range with a heated shooting house ,cement benches and my range has the ability to even light the whole range up ,because i have set power poles and lights .being a lineman for 35 years has its benefits with keeping an eye out for what is going to get thrown away.i still belong too 2 other clubs but their rules at those clubs have a little more common sense so far. one thing i have noticed over the years is when more people who join from bigger towns and cities they are the ones that seem to ruin gun clubs with rule and tests ,they seem to not understand commonsense.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I sent a query to my club about the RO qual and got two answers. One fellow told me that the club policy is they requalify every three yrs. The other guy never mentioned a time period, but said they are adding a written component to testing. They are worried about litigation. WRT both responses, they are not required by law. My opinion is that the board is micro-managing. Obviously the board discussed this amongst themselves and acted accordingly.

I wonder what their plans are should something happen after they have re-qualified ROs using written tests and new colored lanyards?

Will the RO be forced to resign? Be expected to fall on his sword? The club is insured, so they are protected from lawsuits. I'm sure that the board would be angry if I compared them to the Liberals. Liberals believe that more legislation is better. It seems that our board is following their lead.

Edited to add: Here is what the 6.5x55 reloaded cartridges look like. The bullets are 140 gr. Hornady SSTs. The OAL is 3.19 inches.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been turning the screws in a bit at my club too. Part of the reason, at least, is supposedly the insurance companies want a RSO on site whenever anyone shoots. The solution is to qualify everyone minimally for that. The alternative for me is a very near commercial range with the attendant boobs and idiots that come from all over the region. That place turns into a swamp in bad weather too. It does offer a 300 yard bench.

Such is life.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Steve,

Those bullets are almost to the target before they leave the brass. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
They sure are. They are a hair short of 1.300 inches. The maximum OAL with this bullet loaded is 3.210 inches. It would be easy to load this bullet so that it is touching the lands. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's the joy of 6.5 mm calibre.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist

........ and a long action. smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Originally Posted by SuperCub
...and a long action. smile

That's never been a problem. The action isn't any heavier or longer (unwieldy). The SA versus LA discussion was started by some gunwriter in an article long ago to fill out his story. This has always made me laugh. Especially if the person with the SA uses a barrel longer than 22 inches.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

........ and a long action. smile

Yeah- my 6mm Rem is in a short action and the magazine has restricted me. Seems like it has happened in my 260 Rem too. Not an issue in my Dad's 6.5x55 LA.

I do love those long 6.5 bullets. Explaining that to non-loaders I just call them flying pencils. Never seen anything drop things like a 140 Gameking at a moderate speed.

On the range... I liked going to one near my house and met a great (now deceased) 'fire member -and plenty of real nice folks there. Ended up getting to know a gruff but terrific big ole range officer who pretty much let me have run of the place. Introduced me to kindly guy who gave me pointers on pistols- boy can shoot.

Then Obama got elected.and the explosion in AR sales meant tons of people and crowded lanes - which turned into more RO's who act like para-military wannabees. Hate it now.

Great shooting by the way - and what the heck is a 225 Win? New one on me. Been kicking the idea of a 22ish around but am paralyzed by options. Most say just get a 223 but I always wanted a 222 -then liked the idea of the low report of a hornet, but am backing away due reloaders complaints and so so accuracy, then was thinking 221 fireball......see what I mean?

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/11/19.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

...and a long action. smile

That's never been a problem. The action isn't any heavier or longer (unwieldy). The SA versus LA discussion was started by some gunwriter in an article long ago, to fill out his story. This has always made me laugh. Especially if the person with the SA uses a barrel longer than 22 inches.

I agree ..... I like long actions for just that very reason. I can seat out to the lands w/o running out of room. My 257 Roberts in on a long action.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, I'm a fan of sneaking up on the lands myself. Some of the 120 gr. 6.5mm bullets are long enough to avoid the long jump too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.