Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife is somewhat interested in buying a used Ford Escape. Anybody have first hand experience with them?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on what vintage you're talking about we've got two of them here. My wife bought a 2015 SE a few years back. This year I traded my truck off on a 2018 SEL with leather and all the schittzle for her and for now I'm driving her old one. Check out consumer reports etc. No one makes much fuss about these little suv's that, let's face it look like all the rest there isn't much imagination in car design any more. But they rate highly for reliability and customer satisfaction. Both of these are the little 1.5 l turvo EcoBoost. Enough power and good mileage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's brother and his wife and teenage son were involved in a head on collision a few years ago. They were in a Ford Escape, the other vehicle was a GMC Suburban. Each was probably going close to 60 mph. The Suburban crossed over into their lane. The occupants of the Suburban were basically shook up pretty bad. My brother in law and his son were critically injured, and his wife died instantly. The Escape was demolished. The Suburban rolled over but remained pretty well intact.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy something rear wheel drive with a good stiff steel frame under it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 2018 SE with 26,000 miles on it for 15K. It has the 1.5L Turbo and averages about 25.5 MPG. I took it on a trip that was mostly interstate running 75-80 mph and it got over 30 MPG. It is happiest running 65 MPH + due to the gearing. I think it might become my favorite all-around vehicle. It handles very well on marginal roads and has excellent braking.

So far I have no complaints except I would like a better sound system.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm part way in to a comprehensive destructive testing program with the little 2015 that I'm driving. I put a hitch on it, its rated for 2000 lbs I've towed 1500 lbs plus over mountain passes a couple times already and it keeps up with traffic fine. I knock it out of auto mode and use the paddle shifter, at 4000 rpm it sounds happy and does 60 mph up a long infamous grade nearby that has the trucks in the basement doing 30-40. I've got more in reserve the turbo makes decent torque.

I put slightly taller light truck tires on it and have crossed a lot of ditches and deactivated roads just to see what it can do. I've been surprised. I hate that you can't shift it in and out of 4wd, the computer does that. But it does OK. Clearance obviously is the issue, but being so short like I say its surprised me. Its getting scratched up pretty bad. The Catahoula went off on a pit bull that some idjut parked right beside us when I wasn't there. Lots of claw marks on the interior doors now. But there were quite a few before. I do plan on getting a truck as well before long but in the mean time I'm beating on this lil biotch to see what its made of. Hey they're disposable anyway right?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The business that I work for has a 2013 model as a delivery vehicle....it is crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm quite fond of them.

We have a 2009 RAV4 V6 Limited that we love. We have spent between 3-4 weeks driving a Escape Ecoboost Titanium (rental/loaner). If there is another vehicle (outside of another RAV4) I could see myself buying to replace our RAV4, it is the Escape. Very good vehicle to drive IMO. Seating position, for a 6'1" 270lb non flexible person with back troubles, is very good (fully adjustable seat on the models I've driven), better than the Explorers I've tried. I would seriously consider buying a Titanium.

Last edited by AB2506; 11/12/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 2014 Escape with AWD Titanium package on it.

Simply stated, it was the sorriest vehicle I have ever owned.

Underpowered, the AWD was only fair in the snow if more than about 3 inches it was a no go, so-so gas mileage (23 mpg) , and the transmission went out with just under 90K miles on it.

Ford warranty service was a nightmare and I had to get ugly and almost had to sue them to get the tranny fixed.

My experience with the Escape totally soured me on any Ford product and I will never own another.

Shortly after getting the transmission fixed, I traded the Escape for a 2018 Nissan Titan which thus far has been flawless.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had one for a rental car for about a week. Drove ok and the only thing I would really change is more storage room in the back.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Seriously looked at them, talked to my mechanic[friend] and he mentioned tranny problems.
Ended up with a CRV, love it so far.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I went with a Nissan Murano instead. A bit more room, plain old normally aspirated V-6, very similar mileage. I've got 95K on the Murano (I bought it new) and the only repair has been a wheel bearing under warrantee and that was a no-questions-asked fix in under 3hrs.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
208785 miles on a 2002 and still driving every day!!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We had an older model for several years, can't remember what year. Put about 120,000 miles on it, started having transmission problems, traded it off.

Don't know if true or not but the transmission guy told us the problem (at least with the older ones like ours) was ford /Mazda was putting basically a car transmission in them and expecting it to perform like a suv. He said the trannies in them were too wimpy for the intended use. But he could have been full of it, dunno. The newer ones may have stouter transmissions.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Hastings, sorry for your loss, but there are very few vehicles on the road (aside from other trucks) that would handle a head-on with a Suburban any better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True about the Suburban. A local guy got hurt a fair bit last year when driving a lifted new-model F150 crewcab 4wd, which is a pretty big truck. He had a head on with a new-model lifted F250 diesel crewcab 4wd. The bigger truck won out and that guy walked away.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Hastings, sorry for your loss, but there are very few vehicles on the road (aside from other trucks) that would handle a head-on with a Suburban any better.
You're right. That's why I asked my daughter to get rid of her Kia and start hauling my little grand daughters around in something stouter like a Suburban. Weight and rigidity will almost always win.

T
Online Content
T
Just traded my 13 SEL with 252,000 miles on it. I'm a road warrior, so 90% of my miles is interstate. Great vehicle, and synthetic oil changes every 10k. My only suggestion is to get the 2.0 turbo instead of the 1.5. I traded up to the Edge, Limited, and hope I get the same results

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Blondie! You know what you are Blondie?!"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Seriously looked at them, talked to my mechanic[friend] and he mentioned tranny problems.
Ended up with a CRV, love it so far.

Best to stay away from cross-dressers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 71 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,989
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.