Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Question;

Will this Colt Detective Special (1971 manufacture) be safe-strong enough for shooting 38 Special plus P ammo?

99% of it's diet will be 148 grain Target Wadcutters.

Thanks!

Virgil B.

There's no safety issue with an old Detective Special and +P ammo. The only issue relates to service life. You cut it a little short the more you make it digest the +P stuff. Carrying +P for defense, while practicing with non +P, is an excellent policy, and will be no problem at all. Keep in mind that the whole question (can my .38 handle +P?) only originated with the introduction of aluminum frames (and, believe it or not, cylinders) for lightweight .38 revolvers. With all-steel .38 Special revolvers, the question is not risk of detonation of your gun and injury (although, that is the risk with old aluminum lightweight revolvers, especially those with aluminum cylinders). It's merely how much you are shortening its service life.

PS The old Colt Aircrewman Special was almost entirely made of aluminum, i.e., both frame and cylinder. These would pose a very high risk of detonation with +P ammo.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Real Hawkeye;

Thanks for the information!

I have no desire to shorten the life span of this little jewel by shooting + P's through it.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great gun and congrats on yours Virgil. I've got my grandfather's that he bought new in 1937. Not the best pic with the glare, but it's in great shape.

[Linked Image]

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RyanTX;

That looks just like the one I just put on lay-away, 'cept yours has a T grip.

That one looks really good for being made in 1937!

Great to have something with family history like your Grandfather's revolver!

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you sir. I know the T-grip is chipped, and I actually have a couple of "new" ones that I bought several years ago, but I prefer to leave this one as my grandfather had it. He was a special agent with the FBI from the late 30's through the mid-60's and he always had this gun on him. And, I've got quite a few stories of how this pistol got him out of some very sticky situations. So, needless to say, this pistol holds a special place in my heart.

I've also got his grandfather's Colt SAA and double barrel shotgun that he carried as a sheriff here in TX. They'll all be passed down to my boys some day.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Thank you sir. I know the T-grip is chipped, and I actually have a couple of "new" ones that I bought several years ago, but I prefer to leave this one as my grandfather had it. He was a special agent with the FBI from the late 30's through the mid-60's and he always had this gun on him. And, I've got quite a few stories of how this pistol got him out of some very sticky situations. So, needless to say, this pistol holds a special place in my heart.

I've also got his grandfather's Colt SAA and double barrel shotgun that he carried as a sheriff here in TX. They'll all be passed down to my boys some day.

That's pretty cool.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You boys are going to cost me money...

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enjoy that gun but treat that little Colt gently. Parts and service on all the older Colt revolvers is becoming more and more of a challenge. Factory support is VERY limited (or even non-existent) and just about all of the "old heads" that did competent work on them are either dead or retired. I predict a lot of old Colt revolvers are going to become expensive paperweights as time passes.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Enjoy that gun but treat that little Colt gently. Parts and service on all the older Colt revolvers is becoming more and more of a challenge. Factory support is VERY limited (or even non-existent) and just about all of the "old heads" that did competent work on them are either dead or retired. I predict a lot of old Colt revolvers are going to become expensive paperweights as time passes.

I had an old fella tell me he could fix a colt new service I had. It came with a bag of parts, when a friend gave it to me.

The old guy spent all summer on it, and finally bought it from me for 100 bucks, He said he was close grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by 41magfan

I had an old fella tell me he could fix a colt new service I had. It came with a bag of parts, when a friend gave it to me.

The old guy spent all summer on it, and finally bought it from me for 100 bucks, He said he was close grin

I can believe it.

I had an interesting conversation with Fred Sadowski many years ago about an issue I had with a DS. It became pretty apparent to me that keeping these old guns running was going to become a big deal as there were few (if any) gunsmiths taking up the mantel. The only guy I know of currently that might still be a source is Frank Glenn.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep; if they don't work, I won't give much for em.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran into one the other day....
Looks to be a fourth gen 3" in probably 95+% condition.
Blueing is all intact, grips unmarred and the cylinder shows no signs of ever being cycled.
$850......
I'm tempted... what do you think?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You don’t see too many of those so if it’s pretty nice, that’s tempting.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The detective special was the all steel snub.
The cobra was the alloy framed version of
the det spec, like what Jack Ruby carried.
The agent was the short grip frame version
of the cobra

I've had all 3, and kept the agent, as it has
the factory hammer shroud and looked
brand new when I bought it way back when
I like having the 6th shot

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Not to stir things up but I have a very nice 1974 Colt Detective Special for sale. Have only advertised locally so not sure about making a big deal on it here. It's got excellent bluing and good condition. No box. As most people know it works with +P's as well. To my mind they point very well. This has a Pachmayer grip which fits most peoples hand very well. PM me if you just have to have one, or if you want pictures. Send me your email or phone number. I decided I don't need 3 of them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ranger99
The detective special was the all steel snub.
The cobra was the alloy framed version of
the det spec, like what Jack Ruby carried.
The agent was the short grip frame version
of the cobra

I've had all 3, and kept the agent, as it has
the factory hammer shroud and looked
brand new when I bought it way back when
I like having the 6th shot

Ahem

Dick special comments only . Start an agent thread.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Local shop just took in a really nice Colt Detective Special

It looks to be in about 98% condition. No blue wear, and locks up tight, no wear on the wood grips.

$695. I'm thinking I might go back and put some money on it.

I just sold my Sig P 226 and will have money burning a hole in my pocket soon.. (GRIN!)

Virgil B.

Nice. You'd pay more than that for one in that kind of shape around here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Not to stir things up but I have a very nice 1981 Colt Detective Special for sale. Have only advertised locally so not sure about making a big deal on it here. It's got excellent bluing and good condition. No box. As most people know it works with +P's as well. To my mind they point very well. This has a Pachmayer grip which fits most peoples hand very well. PM me if you just have to have one, or if you want pictures. Send me your email or phone number. I decided I don't need 3 of them.

Nice of you to offer it here first, Jack. GLWS

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
LD, where else am I going to find some for real handgun loonies!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.