Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
One of the few things I learned at Iowa State, there is a mirre climate, and micro climate, or something like that. The one they report is at about four foot high, the other at ground level. It's colder close to the ground.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I don't remember the answer to the temperature part but you have to measure wind some distance off the deck to avoid turbulence. Saw a good example of turbulence at the trap range, There are 40 ft. or so poplar at the archery range. When those poplar are upwind the little clay birdies dance even though those poplar look too far away to have any effect. Gotta shoot extra fast on those evenings.

Yep. That's what my job as a meteorologist with our State's division of air quality does - model the interaction of air pollutant plumes with nearby buildings, terrain, and vegetation. Been doing that stuff for 30+ years now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
One of the few things I learned at Iowa State, there is a mirre climate, and micro climate, or something like that. The one they report is at about four foot high, the other at ground level. It's colder close to the ground.

Micro and macro, perhaps?
My specialty is "boundary layer micro-meteorology".

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That may well be it, thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was disappointed along with thousands of others here locally when the NWS weather station at the regional airport failed during the hurricane in 2017.

You would think that they could get a formidable weather station to record vital information in an event like that.

Now that data is lost forever... Rainfall and wind speeds were all lost.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
My specialty is "boundary layer micro-meteorology".

Might find this place interesting. To the west is prairie and hills left by glacier. Elevation drops quickly a couple thousand feet from 6 miles west of town to the SD/MN border 10 miles east. So the prairie weather gets moderated at the hills, and we're on the edge of systems moving up through Minnesota. We're typically warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer and miss most blizzards. Always fascinating to watch thunderstorms approach from the west, hit the hills and then slide around us, either to the north or south.

Then there was the winter we had snow with a strong wind riding down the hills to the west. Warmed the air enough to form freezing rain over about 20 miles of Interstate.Not forecast, the rest of the Interstate was good driving, but lots of cars in the ditch here.

NWS products have improved for here over the last decade. But a Fargo TV station has a degreed meteorologist who has been watching this area long enough to accurately forecast this area for all its quirkiness.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have, many times,I also recall had bottled water which would be liquid but turn to slush if you shook the bottle. Same thing with soft drinks. I also recall watching water which was at 30 degrees but liquid, freeze solid around my water intake pipe. I remember this because it resulted in me having to carry water for 200 yards, on snowshoes, for 2 months (and another 3 months without the shoes) until the damn waterline thawed out. Good times. GD

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I kicked a bottle of water out of a combine cab years ago. It bounced as high as the cab, it did not stop for several bounces' picked it up and read the label. "SPRING Water" laugh

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The bars in Angeles City used to cool their San Miguel beer in a salt and ice bath. Pop the cap, and watch the ice crystals form in a matter of seconds!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I usually keep a case of 24 bottled water in rear seat of my truck. I have found that different bottles freeze at different rates. When it is in the 20s for several nights some of the bottles will freeze solid, some totally liquid. Into the teens and a few more will freeze, some will stay liquid. Single digits almost all will freeze, but usually a couple will say liquid.
Placement (whether they are in the outer ring or inner) doesnt seem to be a factor.
Some will solidify when shaken, some will stay liquid when shaken.
Always baffled me what the difference was that affected the temp they would freeze at.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deer camp in Idaho this year, coldest morning was 3 degrees. It was a race when making coffee. Open the water bottle and dump as much into pot as possible before water freezes in bottle. Fun game early in the morning...I need a friggin wall tent...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are several principles at work for this to happen. Air above the ground is warmer. Not necessarily much, but warmer. Latent heat of fusion takes more energy to freeze the water. Nucleation can be a significant issue with pure water. Lastly, as water cools it becomes denser until it hits 39.5 degrees. As it cools further it expands significantly. Depending on how long the water has been in the bottle and the temperature at which the water went into the bottle and the ambient temperature of it's storage, that expansion after passing 39.5 degrees F can pressurize the container and reduce the freezing point significantly. In all probability simply loosening the cap enough that the expansion will not build pressure will be sufficient to freeze the water and is a simple way the determine which properties are most critical to the explanation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/supercooled_water.html

Supercooling (as low as -20 °C) of large volumes of water (up to 100 ml) for extended periods (as long as 100 days) simultaneously can be achieved by the surface sealing of the water by an oil phase [3233]. Many factors can cause supercooled water to crystallize, including vibration, particulate initiators, and neutrons but not electromagnetic irradiation [3402]. The freezing process, for supercooled water, takes place in two stages. The first stage produces a distinct peak of infrared emission (heat release) with the rapid but short-lived appearance of dendritic needles inside a spongy ice-water mixture [3638].. This is followed by the slower freezing of the bulk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One obvious example of supersaturation are rain clouds. Seeding clouds provides a nucleation site around which supersaturated water vapor collects and makes rain drops. Saw this once as a kid and was pretty amazing. Heavy, grey clouds covered the area including the old steam powered wood mill a couple blocks away. The mill released a plume of black smoke which it did occasionally. Smoke found it's way to the clouds and very shortly thereafter there was a cloudburst type of downpour.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I kicked a bottle of water out of a combine cab years ago. It bounced as high as the cab, it did not stop for several bounces' picked it up and read the label. "SPRING Water" laugh

Sorry, I don’t believe you.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Sorry, I don’t believe you.

I do because spring water springs.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I thought surveyors at least had to be civil engineers. And in that, there'd be at least 2 semesters of chemistry and 1-2 semesters of physics, just in your B.S. undergrad.

No?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can not go into scientificical details, however, I too have had unfreazy water bottles. I think it's not pure.

My piss jugs freaze at about 20F. They're the yellow ones.

Pretty much all you need to know to be a trucker.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,048 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,674
Posts18,534,218
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.