Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife and I decided to take a day to see some scenery here in so. Idaho. I took her to a couple places she hasn't seen before. This area is laced with deep canyons. This particular one is Bruneau Canyon, 1/4 mile rim to rim and 800' deep at this point. You really don't want to pack a bighorn up out of there.
It's a crazy area. It's desert but there's actually quite a bit of water out there. The problem is that it's all in the bottoms of canyons like this. You can drive for many miles across fairly flat sagebrush land, then run into one of these.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wow.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Beautiful place

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Quit sharing all our secrets!

Malad Gorge and 1000 springs are pretty, cool too!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NTG
Quit sharing all our secrets!

Malad Gorge and 1000 springs are pretty, cool too!

Did you see the Malad Punchbowl a couple years ago after that record snowfall on the Wood River? It was wild. I couldn't get a pic that even came close to seeing it for real. You can't get a decent angle and no photo can catch that kind of water.

― George Orwell

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Beautiful country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love to float the Bruneau some time.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wow...you ain't kidding when you said "hole in the ground".

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah, that's a gash alright. Just amazing what a bit of moving water can do.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The rivers that formed these canyons all originate in the mountains along the ID-NV border and flow north to the Snake River. All the water just over the ridge and going south goes into the Great Basin where it just dries up, never reaching the ocean.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was just looking at a Hunt-X topo map of this canyon and I see that there are a couple trails to the bottom. I don't think they're for the faint of heart, though. They cross a whole lot of topo lines. I took the photos from the end of the blue line in the top right where there's a view point. There's a fence there now but in the past, you could hang your toes over the edge and look straight down. It would give you the willies knowing your first bounce wouldn't be for 100' down.

There are bighorns in these canyons. It's not easy hunting as you're always on top hunting down. If you score, there's only 1 way to get it out and that won't be on a pack horse.

edited: My mistake. After further looking, I see that those 'trails' are actually intermittent creeks. They're dry except during the spring runoff.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 11/16/19.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RC, every time I see those western topo maps, I'm reminded of my cross country elk trek out in Colorado. Come to find out your topo elevation lines and our flat lander topo maps don't use the same scale. Road to road was only a few miles, but I sure didn't figure right for the up and down. One of our guys described it pretty well I thought when he said that it is beautiful country, but don't you ever invite me elk hunting again.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is, or was, a motor trail down into the canyon not far from there if I'm not mistaking the view. Years ago, I rode that to the bottom and across an old wooden bridge, and then up the other side. Got word not long ago that the bridge is damaged or out. Can't remember. Pretty awesome country. Word is that a recent rock slide raised the whitewater rating a notch.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was just looking at a Hunt-X topo map of this canyon and I see that there are a couple trails to the bottom. I don't think they're for the faint of heart, though. They cross a whole lot of topo lines. I took the photos from the end of the blue line in the top right where there's a view point. There's a fence there now but in the past, you could hang your toes over the edge and look straight down. It would give you the willies knowing your first bounce wouldn't be for 100' down.

From what I've read the road to the put-in for floating the Bruneau is pretty steep and dicey, too. Considered a Class V road:

"Put in: The traditional put in for the Bruneau is at Indian Hot Springs, just below the confluence of the Jarbidge and West Fork Bruneau Rivers. Driving there requires a capable 4x4 vehicle with good, mud-terrain tires and an experienced off-road driver. Two spares tires and high lift jack are highly recommended for travelling the Bruneau backcountry. The drive should not be attempted during wet or snowy weather, which is frequent during boating season. To get there, turn off approximataley 30 miles out the Clover Three Creek road (measured from the take out). Watch for a sign on the right after crossing Clover Creek and making a large switchback turn. The first six miles of the road are good, but don't be fooled, it quickly deteriorates into ten miles of treachery thereafter. As a general rule, stay left at the unmarked forks, and mark your turns to avoid getting lost on the way out. There are no landmarks in the flat Sagebrush plain. In the last 1.2 miles, the road drops 1,000 vertical feet to the canyon floor. There are several steep sections with exposed bedrock ledges that require high clearance. Near the bottom is a slippery clay bank that requires sidehilling, and is nearly impassible when wet. Do not underestimate the difficulty of this road. Shuttles can some times be arranged in the town of Bruneau. Due to the diffficult access, many paddlers start on the nearby Jarbidge River "

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Idaho has a lot of STEEP.

Trout Creek Mt too.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/16/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Bruneau and Jarbidge canyons are now a wilderness area. I couldn't find any access roads for floaters on either the HuntX map or on another topo map. They all show ending at the rim. I know there's one that goes down somewhere as it's a popular spot for floaters.

Going out there when it's wet is a way to get your knuckles white. I've hunted out there in wet weather and the roads can be something else. Usually you don't sink in that far but there's enough clay in the soil to make it super greasy. 4 chains are a must.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
RC, every time I see those western topo maps, I'm reminded of my cross country elk trek out in Colorado. Come to find out your topo elevation lines and our flat lander topo maps don't use the same scale. Road to road was only a few miles, but I sure didn't figure right for the up and down. One of our guys described it pretty well I thought when he said that it is beautiful country, but don't you ever invite me elk hunting again.

Most of the flat land maps use 20' contour intervals. When it gets steep, they use 40' to give you a better idea whether you need to carry ropes and pitons when elk hunting.

edited to add: HuntX in Idaho uses a 20' interval for some reason. That adds a lot of lines to a map in steep country.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NM has the Rio Grande gorge near Tres Piedras,. Colorado has the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and the Royal Gorge of the Arkansas near Canyon City. All are in the sage brush semi desert country. It is amazing of all the great scenery in this great country.Some day I hope to get to Idaho to see some of that

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[
Most of the flat land maps use 40' contour intervals. When it gets steep, they use 20' to give you a better idea whether you need to carry ropes and pitons when elk hunting.

jnyork's Rules for Life, #39: If you cant back your pickup up to the carcass, dont shoot the elk. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty dang spectacular.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 257Bob, 2500HD, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,693
Posts18,534,560
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.