Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't know about the rest of you but I would like to see more of this rifle.

+1 !

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm taking a 1949 vintage FN Mauser in .257 Roberts on my Kentucky whitetail hunt this fall, currently doing load development in anticipation.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's another picture of the rifle with last years spring black bear (color phase bear). One 173gr SPCE pill in the lungs at 100 yards put the bear down.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 8MMX57JS
Here's another picture of the rifle with last years spring black bear (color phase bear). One 173gr SPCE pill in the lungs at 100 yards put the bear down.

That is a very nice rifle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M98 Sporter in 8x57

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did the 173 gr SPCE exit?

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a few that need to get out there and get their chance at making meat. One especially, a 1948 FN .270, has been around here far too long without ever being hunted. It’s pretty beefy with the factory barrel, but now that I’ve dropped a load off my own gross tonnage, toting it shouldn’t be too awful. I have a pretty good pile of Noslers courtesy of SPS for it, including some E-Tips, that have been around long enough to count as “free” bullets now.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Did the 173 gr SPCE exit?

Yes it did. Which i expected to happen. Heavy for cal bullet at moderate velocity. 2350ish fps.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
New addition to the fold. Hopefully I can tag a black bear this spring with this rifle.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Wife's guilted maple M-96, in 6.5x55. I was working on it one day and my wife walked into the shop, you building that for me, in her best expectant voice....Yes Dear. There went my Mauser.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
98 issue Mauser with Norma ammo. I think dad paid $5 for that Mauser. Later dad put a Sharon 6mm Rem barrel on that replacing the 7.92. The one and only box of ammo for it. 7.92x57. The deer pictured is first deer I shot at.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/20/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8MMX57JS;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're getting the bright and fair day up there that we appear to be so far and that you're well.

What a nice example of a commercial roll mark!!! cool cool

My "walking around rifle" is built on a between the wars commercial roll marked one, but it was in not fantastic shape externally, such that the roll mark was tough to make out.

I want to say it was a smaller roll mark too? Perhaps it just read "Mauser" and had a border but not as big or with the vertical lines above and below the name.

Anyways yours sir is very nice looking. I can't recall seeing too many in that condition.

Do you happen to know the vintage?

Am I wrong in assuming just post WWI?

Good luck on the bear hunt too, I ordered my bear tag yesterday from that wonderfully dysfunctional site or at least it gives me fits every year.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love the thumbhole stock.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BC30cal
8MMX57JS;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're getting the bright and fair day up there that we appear to be so far and that you're well.

What a nice example of a commercial roll mark!!! cool cool

My "walking around rifle" is built on a between the wars commercial roll marked one, but it was in not fantastic shape externally, such that the roll mark was tough to make out.

I want to say it was a smaller roll mark too? Perhaps it just read "Mauser" and had a border but not as big or with the vertical lines above and below the name.

Anyways yours sir is very nice looking. I can't recall seeing too many in that condition.

Do you happen to know the vintage?

Am I wrong in assuming just post WWI?

Good luck on the bear hunt too, I ordered my bear tag yesterday from that wonderfully dysfunctional site or at least it gives me fits every year.

All the best.

Dwayne

Most likely 1920's-1930's vintage. This was was restored, refinished, rebarreled to 6.5x55. Originally a 8x57.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Husqvarna 640 8x57js with PPU 196 SP’s factory ammo. Rid the place of one more nasty bastid.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In the scale of things I probably really pumped up the Take A Mauser Hunting scorecard tonight. I picked up a Husky 640 with FN Action in 9.3X62 this fall for a great deal. I passed the great deal on to one of my friends who will use the gun as his main guide gun working this Spring Grizzly season in the Brooks. He was plumb tired of his Savage 7 Rem Mag as his big rifle so I sold him the rifle for what I had in it and he promised me that it would fill an ark subsistence every year for a while. The Rifle is big enough to put the hurt on Grizzlies but also fitting in the nice spot that his wife can use it for home defense if a bear gets truculent while he is on the Trapline.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The Rifle is on the Right.

The Dude is on the Right.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Every year I say I'm going to drag it out, every year I grab the ol trusty 30-06.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
In the scale of things I probably really pumped up the Take A Mauser Hunting scorecard tonight. I picked up a Husky 640 with FN Action in 9.3X62 this fall for a great deal. I passed the great deal on to one of my friends who will use the gun as his main guide gun working this Spring Grizzly season in the Brooks. He was plumb tired of his Savage 7 Rem Mag as his big rifle so I sold him the rifle for what I had in it and he promised me that it would fill an ark subsistence every year for a while. The Rifle is big enough to put the hurt on Grizzlies but also fitting in the nice spot that his wife can use it for home defense if a bear gets truculent while he is on the Trapline.

The Rifle is on the Right.

The Dude is on the Right.

kaboku68;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of the north country is getting seasonally appropriate weather and you're well.

Your post and photo twigged a bit of a memory, well truly a rabbit hole with me, so hopefully it's okay if I share that here.

Over the years I've done a fair bit of stock repair and bedding which began doing my own and then branched out to do friends and sometimes friends of friends because there's not a lot of gunsmiths who work with wood in our part of the world.

While I have kept notes on some of the stuff, I'd have to guess I've done at least a dozen different Husky rifles with cracked stocks.

Most were the FN action with the beechwood stocks, but not all as some were the small ring full length Husky action which usually had walnut.

Most of them were cracked into the wrist which is an easy repair with good epoxy and a blind hardwood dowel.

The instance your 9.3x62 reminded me of was a buddy picked up a couple Huskys from a shop that's since closed - Tradex Guns - who must have had a pipeline to Sweden as they always had a good supply of used Husky hunting rifles and rimfires.

One of the rifles was a 9.3x62 and initially we could see the stock had a hairline crack at the wrist, despite the entire rifle looking in top shape. The bolt showed so little wear it was wild, as did the bluing and bore.

Anyways when we popped it out of the stock we saw that as well as the wrist crack, it was cracked between the magazine and trigger area, behind the recoil lug and then forward of the recoil lug running several inches forward.

All repairable, but certainly not something someone should shoot and expect decent accuracy and eventually it'd become unusable I'd suspect.

Please understand too, this is in no way a slag on Husky rifles as I believe they're among the best built "Mauser" types out there and often are a crazy bargain on top of that.

But do check the stocks for cracks when you buy one, the same way it's not a bad plan to check the trigger housing on a Parker Hale if you buy one of them, as whatever metal it was, it was at least somewhat prone to cracking.

Hope that helped and was useful to someone out there.

Dwayne

Obligatory Mauser photo - Old school coyote rifle built on a German made wartime action, Douglas Premium #4 barrel in .22-250AI, Timney trigger, Wolffe mainspring in a reworked stock I bought cracked nearly in half at a gun show for $20.

[Linked Image]

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Duane,
It is great to talk with another of the mauser appreciation brotherhood. I really liked the rifle but he needed it. I have any number of rifles that fulfill the role of that rifle.
The rifle that I sold him didn't look like it had been used. I had checked it for cracks and couldn't see anything.

I have any number of rifles- Whitworth Mausers, Pre-64 Winchester Model 70s and 71s- that I prefer but he needed a gun that would work for him and his wife. Their nearest neighbors live 150 air miles away. He has two kids that are youngsters and wanted a stopper that would work for his whole family. We both felt confident that the rifle would work for him.

It had a very good trigger and he felt that it would work for all of his needs.

I have more rifles than friends and while I sold it for what I paid for it. I gave it an active life and a role in a family that is living the old traditional way. I don't think that there is a better thing you can do for a gun like that. I certainly liked the rifle but knowing that it will be guiding and used the right way by the right traditional family gives me a great satisfaction. I can go out and search for another 640 or work on its older small ring brother.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Thomas

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd say that was a damn good call kaboku68.. Will he be able to keep in ammo? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,495
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.