Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gemby58
buy the savage rascal

I agree. First gun I bought for my son was a Henry mini-bolt. While trim, and accurate, feeding it was a pain. I didn't do enough pre-purchase research. My buddy had a Rascal and what a difference.

MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started my daughter on a rascal (comes in pink) at 6yo. In a year she tried the MP 15-22 with RDS and hasn’t shot the rascal since.

I was pretty impressed with the rascal though. She was knocking down sillywets at 50m with regularity. The peep sights were pretty easy for her.

The 15-22 isn’t a bad way to go the stock collapses down pretty short.

Sean
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I do not trust a pull-cock bolt for a new young shooter, I much prefer the safety on a Savage Rascal. I fear the weak hand and wrist strength of a youngster can cause an accidental discharge.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Cz Scout great quality.Mid 3s for a Cz457

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check out the rock island armory m14y from classic firearms, 10 rd mag, push forward safety and no pulling to cock. $103

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I do not trust a pull-cock bolt for a new young shooter, I much prefer the safety on a Savage Rascal. I fear the weak hand and wrist strength of a youngster can cause an accidental discharge.

^^^^ This ^^^^

My first .22 rim-fire single shot rifle as a kid cocked like that and having to manually pull back the rather stout (for a kid) spring loaded cocking hammer before every shot soon became not only a hassle but frustrating too when it resulted in missed opportunities at live game so I started to sneak and carry it cocked when no grownups were around which was very risky unsafe.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RyanTX
The Savage Rascal is a much better gun IMHO. Or, find a used Savage Cub. I bought 2 Cubs for my boys when they were young. I still use the Cub with 22 CB's for rabbits around the house.

Being very much 'into' 22 LR's, I bought and tried out for my kids and science===> a Crickett, a Savage Cub, and a Savage Rascal, in that order.

The Crickett was the least desirable of the three IMO. They have no safety, you have to pull the cocking piece to the rear to make it ready to fire, and lastly the rear mount for a scope is not very strong (the rear of the receiver is split so a conventional base or mount will not work). Also though apparently moot on newer production guns, it had no feed ramp... each round had to be placed 'in' the chamber.

The Savage Rascal has a safety, a feed ramp, better iron sights, a much better trigger that can be adjusted (or modified easily) and the receiver is drilled and tapped for (weaver) bases and IIRC is also grooved for a scope.

The Cub was the nicest of the three, but unfortunately they are discontinued and were replaced by the 'Rascal'. The upside of the Rascal is that the price is significantly lower, though except for the stock it is essentially the same rifle.

I was impressed with the accuracy of all three rifles, all shot about the same at 50 yards. For an adult they are challenging to shoot well, due to that teenie forend and the incredibly light weight.

Due to the compactness and light weight, I was holding on to the Rascal as a rifle to carry in a backpack for grouse (legal here in Oregon to shoot with a rimfire), as I can shoot it more accurately than a pistol. I would have kept the Rascal... except my nephews daughter needed it more than I.

The original Chipmunk's were made here in the Rogue Valley, Hence the Rogue Rifle Co. name on the original Chipmunk's. The owner of the rifle company unfortunately took it upon himself to unjustifiably shoot another man and found himself in prison. An outfit in Idaho bought the company and made the rifles for a few years. Later Keystone came along and started making the very same rifle and calling it the Crickett. Later they designated some of their rifles as the Chipmunk model, what they needed for that designation I do not know.

Another contender in this size and weight class is the the Henry. But I'd already had experience with the Crickett and the Henry also has a split rear receiver, so I skipped it.

In these threads someone will always come along and recommend the CZ Scout. The CZ Scout is better than any of the above rifles in my opinion, the trigger aside (I've had a couple). However it is also more than double the street price of the Rascal (here anyway). But more importantly it is a much larger rifle, If the kid is truly 'small' the Rascal may be the better fit, best to handle them to see for sure.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was looking at these just tonight. Keystone has nice walnut stocks, even adult sizes, and SS barrels available, quit a list of options actually. The 722s a couple of range pals have are good shooters with nice workmanship. Not sure which was which, but one just appealed more to me than the other. They make pistol versions too, for Dad (or Grandpa) of course.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Yup, kids have a lot of trouble cocking them. The COO Savage is far easier for small shooters.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Was looking at these just tonight. Keystone has nice walnut stocks, even adult sizes, and SS barrels available, quit a list of options actually. The 722s a couple of range pals have are good shooters with nice workmanship. Not sure which was which, but one just appealed more to me than the other. They make pistol versions too, for Dad (or Grandpa) of course.

I've since spoken with a sales guy at Keystone. Best I can tell, the two lines are mostly the same, but the Crickett has a polymer cocking knob and front sight, while the Chipmunk's are steel. The other difference is the stock choices available. The synthetics are restricted to the Crickett, as is (don't ask me to explain this) the adult-sized walnut.

A new item, available maybe this week, is a folding .410 made in Turkey. 18" barrel, short stock, and back-bored (apparently) to reduce recoil. Others are importing the same gun, notably Academy, but with long barrels. The salesman said the ones he's seen had very nice walnut.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.