Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Region6
FYI, you don’t have to test a safety with a round chambered. Do yourself a favor and sell all of your firearms and take up golf.

That is not what he did. Don’t act like a tool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The safety works precisely the same on the Shilen trigger as it does on the Walker trigger. If the safety does not cam the sear up sufficiently and the trigger is pulled while the safety is engaged, the rifle will fire when the safety is disengaged. This can occur due to wear, manufacturing variations, or a stock which has not enough clearance to allow the safety to engage fully. I have seen the same thing on numerous triggers which have a safety which operates in the same manner.
The thing to do is to investigate the problem , determine the cause, and take corrective action. If you are not qualified to do this yourself, you may entrust the job to one who is.
The alternative is to take a bunch of abuse from some of the know-it-alls on some forum and go from there. GD

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
FYI, you don’t have to test a safety with a round chambered. Do yourself a favor and sell all of your firearms and take up golf.

That is not what he did. Don’t act like a tool.

“ So the long and short of it was I put my right hand on the forearm of the stock and with my index finger and thumb on the safety I pushed the safety forward into the "fire" position. No worries, gun was safely pointed away. Well the gun went bang and I know with 100% that my finger was nowhere near the trigger.“

Alwaysoutdoors, read the post. The truth hurts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hummmmm?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Unruly triggers are nothing to be second-guessed.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

I golf as well, and you should learn to read you moron. You aren’t dealing with an idiot.

To the other guy who inquired on where my hands/fingers were. Right hand on the forearm. Left index finger and thumb slowly side the safety to off. No digits NEAR the trigger. I know there are a lot of dumb people out there, I’m not one of them. Needless to say I finished the hunt with my NULA.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Which model Shilen is it? The standard is adjustable from
1 1/2lbs - 3 lbs and the competition is adjustable from 2-6oz.
You stated yours is 3 1/2lbs?
You out of the blue thought about your dad's 700 going back for the recall (that apparently still had the factory trigger) and wondered about your own 700 (with a Shilen trigger) then carefully let your safety off preparing for an accidental discharge by holding the forearm and grip like you "knew" it would happen, then the mother of all coincidences happen and it does indeed accidentally discharge?!
I'll be the prick to say it....Bullfugginshit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Post pics of the gun in question and the Shilen in particular along with the NULA you "finished" the hunt with.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So, now that you have been made aware of the likely cause(s), what is your plan of attack? GD

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Happy to text both to you and you post them. Deal?

And then you can eat crow, deal?

BTW, it’s the standard model and i recalled 3.5 but maybe it’s 3. Sorry dude you picked the wrong guy to call out.

And for what it’s worth about 1 month ago after shooting the gun on the range I thought my safety seemed a little stiff. That’s the only reason I checked it. Sure glad I did.

Now happy to show you up when you are ready.

Last edited by cfran; 11/18/19.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cfran

I golf as well, and you should learn to read you moron. You aren’t dealing with an idiot.

To the other guy who inquired on where my hands/fingers were. Right hand on the forearm. Left index finger and thumb slowly side the safety to off. No digits NEAR the trigger. I know there are a lot of dumb people out there, I’m not one of them. Needless to say I finished the hunt with my NULA.

Again, removing the cartridge from the chamber would have prevented you sending a bullet who knows where! If you were not an idiot, you would halve removed the cartridge first.

Region6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Whoever would like to PM a cell number I will gladly share the picture I just took 5 minutes ago with trigger and NULA so Jackwagon can apologize.

Just looking to draw on the expertise of the group here, am not trolling or looking to tear down products.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Happy to text both to you and you post them. Deal?

And then you can eat crow, deal?

BTW, it’s the standard model and i recalled 3.5 but maybe it’s 3. Sorry dude you picked the wrong guy to call out.

And for what it’s worth about 1 month ago after shooting the gun on the range I thought my safety seemed a little stiff. That’s the only reason I checked it. Sure glad I did.

Now happy to show you up when you are ready.

Edit your original post to start with "this one time.....at band camp...". It would at least add an element of entertainment to an otherwise ridiculous story.

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The gun was leaning at a decent angle away into a 30” plus basswood. Move along, I can’t help you.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
#1 unload the gun first

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thought you wanted a pic? Now you want to quote movies. Cute.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Whoever would like to PM a cell number I will gladly share the picture I just took 5 minutes ago with trigger and NULA so Jackwagon can apologize.

Just looking to draw on the expertise of the group here, am not trolling or looking to tear down products.

I'll go ahead and apologize now.
I'm sorry you're an idiot.
There....feel better now?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The gun was leaning at a decent angle away into a 30” plus basswood. Move along, I can’t help you.

Move along..... As long as you unload your gun and follow, I am here to help.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dump the trigger and buy a replacement for piece of mind if nothing else. Even if you clean it and can't recreate it, it will always be in the back of your mind. I had it happen to me with a Walker trigger on my first custom. It isn't a good feeling.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.