-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be willing to bet that there's some skimming going on too.

Besides that, they'll never be able to repay that loan.

MM

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

If there was any pervert stuff going on I was totally unaware of it. Never saw a Scout leader luring a kid into his tent after dark, never heard a word about a pervert.

The perpetrators sure weren't talking and for various reasons most victims were not incline to talk.
The problem grew to such dimensions due to the information provided by the victims that did talk being buried and hidden.

In my mind the worst part is that even with 7,800 alleged perpetrators being exposed in some 12,000 documented cases, How many were never found out about?
As children, victims were reluctant to talk when the abuse was taking place and most likely more reluctant to speak out later as adults. I doubt we could even phantom the number of cases that could have actually taken place.

Just like the various church groups, once it was known the BSA was a safe haven for these perpetrators to function in I'm sure they flocked to it in great numbers.
I think it was more a case of where a hundred kids could have had a great scouting experience with the same troop leader that one or two kids were being victimized by. They just selected the most vulnerable kids to abuse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I'd be willing to bet that there's some skimming going on too.

Besides that, they'll never be able to repay that loan.

MM

That's a good point, like who the heck is gonna loan them money?
The collateral must really outweigh the loans.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 40O
Cant understand a list of suspected pedophiles being maintained by any organization without the names having already been given to the police.

In many of the cases law enforcement was notified but it done by the parents of the victims not the BSA.
BSA chose to hide all they could to minimize damage to their image. They just put the accused along with all documentation on a "no rehire list" aka The Boy Scouts of America Perversion Files, Then they hid it...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At scout camp this summer, we had troops with girls and one troop from Seattle which was all girls with all women leaders. It had an impact on our scouts behavior. They were unable to be the 100% Boys they had been in when in an all boy scout camp.

Last month the BSA increased it's membership fees with some fees going up 80%. With the new fees and other issues, there is a good chance troop sponsoring groups will bail out of troop sponsorship. The new fees will discourage new troop sponsors. Hence the downward spiral of scouting will accelerate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/31/boy-scouts-to-boost-annual-youth-fees-by-more-than-80percent.html

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by 40O
Cant understand a list of suspected pedophiles being maintained by any organization without the names having already been given to the police.

In many of the cases law enforcement was notified but it done by the parents of the victims not the BSA.
BSA chose to hide all they could to minimize damage to their image. They just put the accused along with all documentation on a "no rehire list" aka The Boy Scouts of America Perversion Files, Then they hid it...

Here is the catch 22, if the list was made public without a conviction of the perps, the BSA would have been liable for wrongful defamation. By keeping the list secret, the BSA is being held liable for failure to disclose.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lennie

Here is the catch 22, if the list was made public without a conviction of the perps, the BSA would have been liable for wrongful defamation. By keeping the list secret, the BSA is being held liable for failure to disclose.

If all the information would have been turned over to law enforcement as it occurred it'd have been better.
They should have refused to take any such information and just recommended the accusers to go to the police if they felt something illegal had taken place. If a person was found guilty in a court of law, then they could have added them to a no re-hire list.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Step dad wouldn’t let me get into scouting. He said there were too many men that liked little boys. It turns out that he was right. He had an idea about priests too, he was catholic.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was in scouts some as a youth and always had great leaders. Sometimes I can't believe the crap they put up with. The only thing I saw close to abuse was when a leader literally picked up a scout and threw him out of the room because the kid was talking dirty about his daughter. All of us kids there though the leader showed great restraint and thought the kid was lucky he didn't get worse.

About 5 years ago my church put me in charge of a young group of scouts. I really didn't want anything to do with it but did it because I remembered what others had done for me as a kid. It was kind of tough and took a bit of time preparing activities each week. We also took them on a few campouts but I encouraged their fathers to come with too if they could so I had a lot of help.

I really felt like scouts as an organization was circling the drain at that time. Everything seemed to be a shake down for more money. Uniforms, books, badges, and fees were all too expensive. It cost me $60 just for a shirt and book when I started. Seemed like it had become all about supporting the beurocracy, those salaried people at the top. You know like the government, the NRA, the Idaho Fish and Game, and the 4H. It became less about the cause and all about the money.

When our church announced they were pulling the plug on scouting I had mixed feelings about it. I wasn't even allowed to take a gun on a hike with the scouts in a known bear area. That's when I realized the scouts I grew up with was already gone.

Anybody who protected child abusers needs to be held accountable. I don't care if it's been 30 years. If an organization that is supposed to be there for the benefit of kids tolerates abuse then you know they are not really about helping the kids.

I think an unfortunate fact is that those type of organizations just naturally attract creepers. Knowing that they should do everything than can to keep them out and take every accusation serious and get law enforcement involved right away. Anything less is criminal negligence.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/20/19.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.