Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
At home, I use single piece Dewey cleaning rods. For me, they are impractical for range trips and hunts because of storage considerations, so I carry something portable. A while back, I posted about some pull throughs I tried. A close friend asked why I don't use any of the compact kits that use threaded, screw together rods. The answer to that was that I never found any that interested me. The big reason is that I'm not a fan of uncoated or aluminum rods.

Cleaning kits and the methods used to swab out rifle bores are very much a personal thing. And of course, everyone thinks that their way is best. He suggested that I try this one, and if I didn't like it, I could give it to him. laugh But it got me thinking that it might make a good Christmas gift, so I'm gonna pick one up tomorrow.

I don't expect that this kit is anything special, but it is compact. I don't know anything about this company or the product specifically, but playing with new stuff is generally fun. The only thing I know is the rods take the std 8-32 threaded brushes and jags. I haven't cleaned the rifles I had at the range today, so they can be the guinea pigs.

This ad shows the specific kit I am going to pick up tomorrow. I see that there are avid cleaners and then "real avid" cleaners. whistle

7-section rod system w/swivel tip combine to form a 33" rod
T-handle
22, 6mm, 270, 30 cal brushes and jags
Slotted tip
50 – 1.5" X 3" cleaning patches
Compact, weather-resistant travel case

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I picked up the kit at Cabelas this afternoon.

A few quick observations.

1. The slotted tip for the cotton patches is made of plastic. Although this isn't a highly stressed part, I replaced it with a metal one.
2. The four jags are plastic. That ticked me off too. I replaced them with brass ones.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned one of those for a few years and really like it!
goes into the pack or upland vest and has all the essentials needed
I have used it a few times too try it out even :>)
Cat.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's good to hear. Are the jags holding up?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The rod isn't very strong and on mine after moderate use the joints have opened up a bit with the female end having a bit of flair which creates some sharp edges. I have had mine two years and use has been moderate. Not a very good rod! The plastic jags on the other hand have held up well.

Last edited by North61; 11/22/19.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the report. That's why I have never been a fan of aluminum. I learned to push the rod into the chamber by grasping it in the middle, and inching it forward. I refrained from exerting any pressure on the handle itself.

I am surprised, but happy to hear that the plastic jags have stood up.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mr Redgwell, Bill here, I have the kit & cabodal one but haven't used it either it was a Christmas present. It has a tuff coated cable & I've always wondered if it is even stiff enough to clear an obstruction of mud, snow ya I suppose. Before I got this I always carried a extra large wiper sniper line coiled up in a pocket, never tried it either!!! You've peeked my interest so tomorrow I'm going to try them both out. Will let ya know which is best or maybe both suck?? The only time I could have used one I had the wrong coat on & had to use a branch, it worked but not recommended. I did learn to seat bullets a smig lower. That was back when I was going through that stage were we all worried about ultimate perfect accuracy (in a factory rifle) seating depth from lands, turn necks, uniform primer pocket, on & on. I came to realize I couldn't shoot good enough, & I really don't think most factory guns respond to all that much fuss, I still try for perfection but I only have one gun capable of that type of accuracy. Anyway I'll let ya know which works or doesn't. Have a good weekend, Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi Bill. Looking forward to your report. smile You have a good weekend too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,087
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.