Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 99guy
Bong was killed the same day they dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. For all intents and purposes, the last day of the war.

24 years old.

Think of my son who is 24.

Damn...

Yah, that is sad. A young early 20 some US Navy sailor from my hometown was lost in the South Pacific in a sub during combat on the same day August 6th, 1945. My Dad, who knew the submariner wasn't to far away on a US Coast Guard Cutter that was involved in amphibious operations. Five in my Dad's family went to war in WW2, two came back, my Dad and a cousin. Two brothers of my Dad and a brother of the cousin, all KIA in heavy bombers over Europe.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, 24 is very young. You had to grow up fast in that time. When I was a kid WWII based TV shows like Combat and 12 O'clock High were very popular. When you think of it, at that time many of those vets were only in their mid-40s. Still pretty young men for so many years after the fact in my estimate.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is that at your place? Great pic!!

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by S99VG
Now we actually have a picture of Bubba grin

Yea, no foolin'. The type of thing everyone cries about today. I don't hold it against that guy.

Not every one. A few of us actually like the old optics, like my 1912 22HP with the Malcolm scope, and the 1928 K with the Noske scope that John sold to me a few months ago. If I was at a local sale and some one had a rifle like that, and a pic of their great grand dad with it, my wallet would jump out of my pocket and start throwing money at them.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 12/02/19.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by S99VG
Now we actually have a picture of Bubba grin

Yea, no foolin'. The type of thing everyone cries about today. I don't hold it against that guy.

Not every one. A few of us actually like the old optics, like my 1912 22HP with the Malcolm scope, and the 1928 K with the Noske scope that John sold to me a few months ago. If I was at a local sale and some one had a rifle like that, and a pic of their great grand dad with it, my wallet would jump out of my pocket and start throwing money at them.

It was the side mount I was referring too. I have no problem with old scopes. Heck, they are part of the fun. For that matter, I also have no problem with side mounts if they were done well.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I was reading a little more about Bong. Seems he liked getting in close to his adversaries as he didn't consider his aiming skills to be the best. Seems to me he looked to be as proficient at "angle of deer" as he was at "angle of Zeke, Betty and Oscar"!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Savage94C
When I first looked at that picture almost I took it for a moose with weird anthers till I could see it was two deer. Nice retro picture, a big gratitude of thanks for that mans service and sacrifice.

I had to do a double take myself to figure out it was two deer. I like seeing pictures with guys in old school hunting clothes, seeing an ace like Bong in them makes it even better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sobering thread.

Thank God for men like Bong.

Last edited by Tarbe; 12/07/19.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.