Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
For those who have hunted roan in Africa, which country and outfitter would you suggest? What kind of trophy are found there typically?

Thanks.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You can buy one in RSA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zambia is the traditional Roan antelope destination. If you can make it to SCI or DSC conventions they're good places to book a hunt. Talk with every Zambia outfitter at the shows.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Zambia is the classic roan country. Alister Norton has a couple areas in the valley that are great. Also leopard, (my favorite!) buff, hippo, lion, and a whole lot more.

I think he is going to be at SCI this year.

Roan are not cheap anywhere and if I'm going to pay that much for a trophy fee, I want a great experience. Zambia delivers that!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've hunted them in Zambia and Cmaeroon. I wouldn't go to that area of Cameroon today, to stick to Zambia. I hunt with Johnny DuPlooy but Alister Norton is top also and if I'm not mistaken is DuPlooy's brother in law??? Not that many Alister's outfitting in Zambia, right? wink

Be aware taht roan are not necessarily plentiful anywhere. You get them when you get them. Never a guarantee unless you ranch hunt.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Burkina Faso was a great deal for Roan several years ago. As I remember, the trophy fee was $950 or so. But the terrorist groups have made that country off-limits. Glad I got mine there when I did.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hatari
I've hunted them in Zambia and Cmaeroon. I wouldn't go to that area of Cameroon today, to stick to Zambia. I hunt with Johnny DuPlooy but Alister Norton is top also and if I'm not mistaken is DuPlooy's brother in law??? Not that many Alister's outfitting in Zambia, right?

They're related somehow. I think Alister said he had nine?? relatives who were PHs! Family business I guess!

I've hunted with him twice and am booking another hunt with him right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are BIL. Live in the same compound. Good guy.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Biebs
Burkina Faso was a great deal for Roan several years ago. As I remember, the trophy fee was $950 or so. But the terrorist groups have made that country off-limits. Glad I got mine there when I did.

Indeed. I was booked with Arjun until the jihadist arrived and eventually burned down the camp.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You could also talk to Jamy Traut in Namibia. He has the Waterberg and there are a lot of roan up there. They didn't give him a quota this year, but that is supposed to change.

Also in Namibia, whoever has the Khaudum North Complex has roan. They were on quota, but very wild when we were there in 2017. Maybe the wildebeests calmed them down!

There are some other areas in the Caprivi with roan but I haven't been to them.

But I took my one and probably only roan in Nyakolwe Zambia.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check with Dirk DeBod, SCI PH of the year in the last decade... he had beautiful Roan in Namibia... also hunts in Caprivi...

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doploy
Originally Posted by hatari
I've hunted them in Zambia and Cmaeroon. I wouldn't go to that area of Cameroon today, to stick to Zambia. I hunt with Johnny DuPlooy but Alister Norton is top also and if I'm not mistaken is DuPlooy's brother in law??? Not that many Alister's outfitting in Zambia, right? wink

Be aware taht roan are not necessarily plentiful anywhere. You get them when you get them. Never a guarantee unless you ranch hunt.

Good advice here. I and a friend both hunted w DuPlooy. We each took very nice roan but we had to work for them. Put in the time and Johnny will put you on one.

Last edited by 163bc; 11/24/19.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I took my Roan in Zambia on my first hunt there.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks all. I’ll follow up on your recommendations.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I am in the eastern Caprivi right now with Ndumo Safaris. We have seen roan almost every day, even though we aren’t hunting them. Quota is low and is usually sold prior to or at the conventions.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thank you, sf7 & jd.

I am currently in communication with a Zambian outfitter. It looks promising so far, for a mixed bag hunt focused on roan.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My dad got his in 2015 in Western Tanzania. Lots of Roan and Sable--makes for a great pedestal mount with both of them. Trophy fees weren't too bad but the air charter from Dar was very, very expensive.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Borrowing from John Wooters who was referring to jaguars, "Even where there's a lot of roan, there's not a lot of roan." If I could I'd copyright that line. It's a favorite.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.