Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well then he took my post wrong also, when I quoted him originally I was using the term "dickweed" generally to cover the hoards that want to use my properties for free, have little night hunting experience, leave trash all over the place, can't tell a feral hog from a calf and don't leave gates like they found them. Just because feral hogs are a nuisance doesn't mean some $#!thead with a rifle might not be a far larger issue. If he had ever had to deal with "dude" hunters he would know what I am talking about. Unless you are running a hog breeding/canned hunt setup there is very little money in trying to set up clients for a shot at some hogs. I let my friends hunt hogs whenever they want as I know there won't be some big issue like one of them closing a gate and shutting down water access to my cows. They usually put a few bags of corn in the feeders and bring good bourbon too.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep, crossfire happens. Looks like I read it the wrong way, too.

BTW, I agree with your definition of "dickweed".

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I grew up about 25 miles from there! We were on a deer lease 10 miles north of Devers ( about halfway) .When I was 16yrs old, they changed the stock law, and people could no longer "run hogs" in the woods ( ear marked) unless they owned the property. Any hogs "left" after a certain date, were considered "feral" and open season. Deer Leases on paper company land were the norm in most of East Texas, since they are the biggest land owners, as a rule. But now, 50yrs later...people are just now figuring out how dangerous those things are, and how destructive they are. They can be very difficult to get rid of too! The smaller ones are exceptionally good on the BBQ. However, if you "eat all you want" of it ( we called it "green pork" i.e fresh pork) you WILL be able to crap through the eye of a needle from across the room! Am I right, Hanco and Rick? smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/26/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hah! I don't see us getting rid of them as they are pretty smart and mostly nocturnal. As for destructive mostly for me they don't cause a lot of problems since I hardly farm anything other than food plots but the pigs can dig them up for sure. As for the eye of the needle I seem to be ok but my brother in law......... For some reason I guess being in my 60's I always called them feral hogs, sort of thinking it is funny to call them "Wild Boars". I remember waking up one morning on some timber company land in Anderson county after an evening of a bit of Rebel Yell bourbon, getting out of the tent and the whole area around camp was tilled by feral hogs! I mean duckfeet followed by discs pulled behind a tractor couldn't have done a better job. I have to take a leak so I walk maybe 15 feet to a tree and on the other side another ten feet is a huge hog. Soon as I start whizzing he takes off and ten minutes later a solid fog rolls in. For 2 hours we can't see more than 15 feet but we can hear hogs all around us. I loved that place. Killed my first archery buck there, several years later a hunting club leased it and that was that.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 7 year old grand daughter and I were at the farm checking the cows yesterday when we got a call notifying me that our security alarm had gone off at the house 3 miles away. On the way to the house she asked me if I was going to shoot them if someone was robbing the house. I replied "probably". She said "well good, then we can feed them to the hogs".

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like a Bayou Girl to me! ha Between the Gators and the hogs...no body, no crime. Ha

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The only good pig is a dead pig!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

Last edited by hanco; 11/27/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a skinny boar!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Originally Posted by rickt300
A pet peeve of mine is people saying it is too expensive to hunt hogs. When I take anyone out on my leased properties (paid for by me) I spend around $50. on gas, I have to be on the properties with them to protect my stock and make sure they don't shoot anything they shouldn't. So that means I have to drive 150 miles, stay up all night and drive home another 150 miles. Not to mention maintaining the feeders which hold 240 pounds of corn (also paid for by me) and typically I clean the pigs that are shot. Add to this pigs do not run on a routine, meaning generally they do not come when the feeders throw corn and on any given night they may be somewhere else. For some dickweed to say $125. to $150. for a day hunt is too much shows they are cheap thoughtless jerks.

Had to laugh when I read this. My BIL's BIL has a ranch in east Texas. He gets visited by hogs on a rotation and they do a lot of damage on the nights they come. He's got a day job and so do his boys so the only time they take the time to maintain their feeders is during deer season.

One day I walked the property with my BIL and did some calculating on what it would take for me to drive out there and get the place ready myself to kill some pigs and I soon came to the realization that - apart from the money involved in getting there and back home again, the cost of putting out feed and new batteries for the feeders and whatever else I'd need to do - I'd be there for weeks getting the pigs habituated to coming on to the property more often than they do - and it would hardly leave me with any time to shoot them.

'Baiting is hard work and such a tedious bother, i'd hardly have time to shoot the baited animals'

Holy fugk

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It was very dry all summer, cows,deer, all look poor. We got some rain at the end of summer. We have a bumper acorn crop, ground under live oaks covered with acorns. Live oaks on this place are every 25 feet, so they should fatten up. Bumper pecan crop in creek bottom too. Nothing moving much, they don’t have far to go for food.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I couldn’t help but chortle reading this thread and the other thread on the subject at hand. Thought of the parallels in the mathematical numbers between hunters "killing off the hogs" and hunters "decimating the buffalo". An interesting dichotomy.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hog shooting/hunting must be part of Texans GNP. Corn, gas, meat processing......

I feel sorry for the guys who has crops and property ruined by hogs though. The greedy $300 a day guys, not so much.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is very little of that lease that isn’t rooted up.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44mc, 1100mag, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.