-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cub Cadet, Ariens, Toro all good & you can get service & parts; 24-28", 8HP. Anything else may be OK, maybe not.

Need reverse, multi-speed & a disconnect that allows you to disengage drive from one wheel when turning makes life easier, it's usually a small finger lever under each handle.

MM

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by aalf
Well I used my Honda Foreman with a manual lift plow for years. I sold it this summer and bought a new Foreman, with the intent of buying a new plow and winch for it, which will run a grand, give or take. So while I've been waiting for the holiday sales to kick in, I've been thinking a snowblower might be the better option.

I'm out of the loop on brands.....

Ariens, Cub Cadet, Toro, Troy-Bilt, Husqvarna, etc.....

Fugg that.... go buy a winch and a new plow. No reason at all to dick with a snow blower when you have a quad and a plow, and it's sooooo much faster to move the crap.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Look up the supercharge your snowblower mod on youtube. I blow quite a bit of snow. I havent had a chute clog on 2 different blowers in 2 years. The 1 blower is a 5 hp that would clog regularly, not anymore!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a choice last winter, replace the auger gearbox in my 41 year old Ariens 7/24 or buy new. After seeing that I could still get just about any part I needed for it I fixed it.
Point is, Ariens supports their products. You can call Ariens direct and with the model and serial number they can tell you all but the shoe size of the guy that assembled it.
The point of spraying the chute with WD40 is dead on. It works. Reverse is good. You won't need it....until you do, like backing up on a slope.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly for the best value in a two stage snowblower under a grand.

I'm googled out trying to decipher what I'm finding online.

Too bad Stihl doesn't make a snowblower......
3 words HONDA,ARIENS,TORO.Buy once cry once....

Last edited by coobie; 11/26/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Also, if you are looking at 2 different blowers, with the same hp, the one with the larger impeller will blow snow further. It's just comes down to centrifical force. My 5 hp throws just as far as my 8 hp, because they have the same size impeller. If you do the impeller mod, you dont have to wd/40 the chute.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
+1 on all previous replies about parts.

I bought my daughter a Husqvarna (per her wishes), and parts couldn’t be found. Actually, dealers couldn’t be found, either: most listed on their website no longer carried Husky products, and some never had in the first place. Parts availability and mfgr support were the reasons.

Her machine works like a tiger when it works. I’d spend future snow thrower dollars elsewhere.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Get reverse.

And use it. Lots of people get hurt struggling with the machine. I'd say a minimum of 8 hp. Unmolested snow is fun but the real fun is trying to move the chunky stuff the plow leaves at the end of the driveway. Best advice I got from a fussy old fart in upstate NY who had a great retirement fix'em business was no chains. The things are engineered to run without chains and you can overstress it using chains - it slips to avoid committing suicide.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My Ariens was absolutely worthless until I Put chains on it.
It is also pretty worthless when the snow is heavy and wet like in March. I wish my Honda was bigger. It did a good job when I had a short concrete driveway.
The Ariens is no good on gravel either. Keep some shear pins handy. I only use the little Honda on light fluffy stuff.
First chance I get I will get a plow.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Husky and Troy Built. The biggest one can afford.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
My Ariens was absolutely worthless until I Put chains on it.

My 8hp MTD is 19 now with no major repairs. I run it at speeds slower than I need to and take smaller "bites" if it starts working hard. I figure it's still faster than shoveling. Definitely easier. (cement driveway)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't get caught up with wider is better. Make sure you have shear pins, belts, and a spark plug. Make sure you know where you put them. Amazon is a good source for parts.

I'm running a Husqvarna now, hand warmers on it don't do the job, it seems weak compared to my old Sears 8HP I ran for 25 years until the tires rotted off. It gets it done but I expected it to be better.

The old snow blower was recoil start only. I'm in my 60's, damn right I got electric start on the new one.

Last edited by Szumi; 11/26/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
My Ariens has been a dream!
Spend once and enjoy....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 26" simplicity with a power shute that is really handy. It has electric start, but I never use it because it always starts with 1 or2 pulls. Haven't had a snow yet (knock on wood) it couldn't go thru. I do wish it had heated handles.

3825 24336
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Ariens has done everything I've asked of it, NO idea who makes the motors for Ariens, but Chinese all the way,

In all honesty, find a name brand, or just pick your favorite color and buy it,

Nowadays they are all very comparable in build quaility,

aalf, your just a touch north of me, but my blower might run a total of a dozen hours a year, Seriously.....10 years later, 120 hours, whoppdefriggendo......

I see no need for tracks or electric start either, or chains on a flat concrete driveway.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just bought a Toro 826. Looked at Ariens, Cub Cadet, Troy Built. Not a lot of difference in prices when comparing same size/width. Ariens are a classic, Cub Cadet seem to have pretty good rep, Troy Built are hit and miss - some good, some not. Husqvarna seem to be inconsistent too. Toro has pretty decent reviews on snow removal forums. Has an auger gearbox so no shear pins. And the shop I picked it up at services what they sell. (And its the local Stihl dealer and service center!)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I just bought a Toro 826. Looked at Ariens, Cub Cadet, Troy Built. Not a lot of difference in prices when comparing same size/width. Ariens are a classic, Cub Cadet seem to have pretty good rep, Troy Built are hit and miss - some good, some not. Husqvarna seem to be inconsistent too. Toro has pretty decent reviews on snow removal forums. Has an auger gearbox so no shear pins. And the shop I picked it up at services what they sell. (And its the local Stihl dealer and service center!)

Willing to bet no more than 2 different manufacturers make all the machines you just mentioned.

My point being, there are no real big differences between any of them.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by grouseman
What are your choices and prices? How much snow, what kind of snow, how often, how big an area, and where does the snow go? Are you mechanically inclined? What can you handle physically?

Flat concrete driveway, 30' long, 50' wide.

Hell, I'm in Wisconsin, who knows how much.....stats say 4' average per year, could be double, triple, or quadruple that. We've already had a foot and a half in Oct.

I could blow it in the street if nobody's looking til the plow makes it's first pass. Otherwise I can go both directions, unless the wind's howling.

I rebuilt the whole topend of my Harley Fatboy in my breezeway by myself. Not wanting to want to wrench if I don't have to.

Imma tough m'erfuker til I get out of my pajamas......

John Deere

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a John Deere green snow blower and it has been great.

I don't know who actually built the machine but they did a good job.

In town is easy work but it gets used pretty hard clearing narrow alley ways out at the farm corrals.

Hard pack drifts make a guy wish for twice the HP.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm interested in cleaning sidewalks, next to our storage buildings. I'm thinking 32 wide would let me plow with very little rolling off the wrong end of the plow.
Flat, other than climbing up to - and off of sidewalks. Any thing special, in this situation?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.