Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5thShock
If all you hating haters would stop hating the Earth, birds and 54 year old lesbians you would be in your Subarus braking carefully and moderately and would feel it when the computer, which is Buddhist, ordered the alternator to increase it's charging rate to do the regenerative braking thing. Peace.

Well....I don't think that's how it works, but LOL anyway. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Teach your wife to install her own brakes. I did.

Then she can ride them how ever she fuggin damn well pleases.

I have an exceptional woman though, after she learned what a pain in the ass those T-45 bits are on the back of those caliper slide pins are to get a firm ratchet onto, she has an understanding.

She hit me up the other day, "where is the damn C-clamp" ooof must be time to do a brake job. I like to go and watch. It warms my heart, πŸ˜„

I'd let her do my f250 but the wheels and tires are little too much for her little chicken wings.

Oh yeah and cost is not an option either, i assure you. We paid our home off at age 29. We just refuse to hire and pay someone $350 to install a $25 set of brake pads she/i/we can do in 45 mins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

I have an exceptional woman though, after she learned what a pain in the ass those T-45 bits are on the back of those caliper slide pins are to get a firm ratchet onto, she has an understanding.

She hit me up the other day, "where is the damn C-clamp" ooof must be time to do a brake job. I like to go and watch. It warms my heart, πŸ˜„

I'd let her do my f250 but the wheels and tires are little too much for her little chicken wings.

Oh yeah and cost is not an option either, i assure you. We paid our home off at age 29. We just refuse to hire and pay someone $350 to install a $25 set of brake pads she/i/we can do in 45 mins.

Nah - then I'd have to buy herself her own tools. wink
We have a deal. I don't mess with her tools, and she don't mess with mine. Except, well, you know...

I'm with ya on the not paying for a simple job though. I can surely afford it, but why would I throw good money away like that? With air tools and floor jack that cost little more than one brake job, I can get it done quicker than the time it takes to drive there and back. There's pretty much nothin' simpler, and I don't even leave the driveway to rotate tires. Heck, I ain't decrepit yet.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pat85
Constant pressure to dissipate the heat from the rotor.

Completely wrong statement.

Pressure (application of brakes) ='s friction, which in turn, builds heat !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
The wear on the pads is proportional to the force required to stop the vehicle. It doesn't matter how that is accomplished, either lightly continuous or last second.

Truth !

Paul.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
!
Originally Posted by kingston
TAG

This thread has epic potential.

Lol

Yeah, your's is the last comment I 'm reading !

But will add my .02

If I'm stopping, or slowing down to turn, I will lightly tap on the brake pedal twice, before applying the brakes as needed.

This has nothing to do with wear, it is purely courtesy, to notify the vehicle behind me of my intentions !

wink

Paul.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
The wear on the pads is proportional to the force required to stop the vehicle. It doesn't matter how that is accomplished, either lightly continuous or last second.

Truth !

Coasting instead of racing to the next stop light greatly reduces that amount of force because gravity, air resistance, engine compression, and friction have done it instead of requiring the brakes to do it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My type of driving, I purchase my pads once, at Autozone, get their best available...
and then every 50 K, put the vehicle in the shop over at the Comm College,
we put the rig up on the rack and replace them...

when those are replaced, take the old ones to Autozone and they give me a new set
based on a life time warranty....

I don't have time to wait until something goes out and leaves me on the side of the road...
Nor the same on the vehicles that my family members drive...

its easier to do the maintenance on my time, than when the car decides its time ...
I prefer preventative maintenance to needed repair....which is never convenient...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord

I made mine put a set of pads on her last car while I supervised. She now has 130k on the factory pads of her current car. I'll be damned if it didn't work!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This sheit drives me fuggin nuts, I have a Dodge 3500 that pulls heavy sheit almost every day of it's life, almost 100K miles on it and the pads aren't even halfway worn out. My wife on the other hand, will wear out a set of pads in 30K on a Toyota 4 Runner. WTF????

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5thShock
How about multiple brake applications, same total number of calories produced but with lower peek temperature.
No?

You can see your pads?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Geezus people, drive it like you stole it. How hard can that be???

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could put your left foot out the door to help slow down and save on brake wear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Truth !

Coasting instead of racing to the next stop light greatly reduces that amount of force because gravity, air resistance, engine compression, and friction have done it instead of requiring the brakes to do it.

Yeah, & not trying to be an ass, but if you'd read my next post ...................

Paul.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Toddly
You could put your left foot out the door to help slow down and save on brake wear.

Cut a hole in the floorboard...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Toddly

That'd be hell on Slum & Rene's rainbow Crocs .....

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Truth !

Yeah, & not trying to be an ass, but if you'd read my next post ...................

When, did you ever have to try? grin

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a reminder, 58 accidents in little Sioux Falls yesterday. Betting it's people racing to the next intersection and braking hard. Or trying to, forgetting that intersections ice up first. A little more spendy than a set of pads.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Getting a vehicle stopped is going to take x amount of stopping power weather you stab the brakes or apply constant brake pressure. When you pump them and let off you get them extremely hot and when they cool fast causes the hard spots in the drums, rotors and pads. Steady pressure allows the the metal through out the axle to absorb the heat from the breaks and pads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Getting a vehicle stopped is going to take x amount of stopping power weather you stab the brakes or apply constant brake pressure. When you pump them and let off you get them extremely hot and when they cool fast causes the hard spots in the drums, rotors and pads. Steady pressure allows the the metal through out the axle to absorb the heat from the breaks and pads.

Yes, that is theoretically correct, but not a reflection of what your first statement was.

Also, the highlighted text is not totally correct. Again friction causes heat. The harder & longer you apply the brakes, the hotter they become.

The hard spots you refer to are not hard spots at all, they are warpage of the rotors, due to either an emergency stop, or in our environment, caliper slide pins sticking due to corrosion & not letting the hydraulic system pull the pads back off the rotors, resulting in (often minute) constant pad to rotor contact.

The heat you refer to is not absorbed through the entire axle assembly. Brake components & hub/wheel bearing assemblies only.

I own a automotive garage in NWO & brakes are our life !

You are quite correct, that steady, increasing pressure is the correct way to safely stop.

Paul.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,717
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.