Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14166235 09/30/19
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 28,392
Dirtfarmer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 28,392
I have a 3 1/2" 12 ga. NEF. Is that receiver OK for a 45-70 barrel?

I understand may need some fitting. Wondering if I could do that.

Would appreciate info.

DF

300 BP

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: Dirtfarmer] #14168038 10/01/19
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 653
aboltfan Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 653
Dirtfarmer,

That would be a negative. The shotguns are made with iron frames that are not strong enough for centerfire rifle calibers.

After I retired from my state job I worked at H&R for the engineering department as their test shooter for special projects. One of the last projects I worked on at H&R before Remington bought them was to try the 45-70 on the iron frames. What made it possible was a hardened steel disc inserted in the face of the frame that took the recoil. Five rifles set up like this were used to prove if it would be possible. It was a success. I put five hundred rounds through each of those guns with no cleaning or maintenance. The only failure was a broken firing pin spring on one rifle. The frames held up fine.


The reason for this experiment was to try to make some of the lower pressure cartridges such as the 45-70 and 30-30 able to be fitted to iron frames for cost savings. The iron frames cost $2.00 while the steel frames were $10.00. Might not sound like a big difference but on such a budget priced gun penny's count up.

Unfortunately, with the purchase by Remington many projects that had been developed were cast aside and never put into production.

Last edited by aboltfan; 10/01/19. Reason: additional info
Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14168043 10/01/19
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 28,392
Dirtfarmer Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 28,392
Gotcha.

Thanks

DF

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14281365 11/14/19
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 126
AZtwins Online Content
Member
Online Content
Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 126
That 45 Colt could be reamed to 454 or even 460 if you’re feeling chippy. And could still shoot 45 colt...

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14281484 11/14/19
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,619
LouisB Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,619
Offer 300 bucks OTD.


Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Alpha

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: Dirtfarmer] #14282523 11/15/19
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 177
4570fan Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a 3 1/2" 12 ga. NEF. Is that receiver OK for a 45-70 barrel?

I understand may need some fitting. Wondering if I could do that.

Would appreciate info.

DF


Lots and lots of info over on Graybeards. H&R used to make a 20 gauge-30/30 combo on the SB1 (cast iron) frames. They also made a 45/70 Shakari on that frame. Stick with Trapdoor or Cowboy level loads and you'll be safe.

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14282807 11/15/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,333
stantdm Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,333
The factory, as I recall, would not fit a rifle barrel to the shotgun frame. A couple of years before the shutdown they also would not fit barrels to SB2 frames made before a certain serial number. My frame was one they would not do fitting on.

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: stantdm] #14282818 11/15/19
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 177
4570fan Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by stantdm
The factory, as I recall, would not fit a rifle barrel to the shotgun frame. A couple of years before the shutdown they also would not fit barrels to SB2 frames made before a certain serial number. My frame was one they would not do fitting on.


That is correct other than they would fit 357 mag and 44 mag during the NEF days. Back when it was H&R you could do 357 mag, 357 Maxi, 44 mag, 22 Hornet, 30/30, and 45/70 Trapdoor.

Last edited by 4570fan; 11/15/19.
Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14284076 11/15/19
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 635
buttstock Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 635
I seem to remember reading ads in cdnn newsprint form years ago for 45 Colt NEF/H&R guns for $200-225??? Not a lot of money then. Price of $399 is high, but pawn shops have crazy pricing. If pawned, the gun owner got $50-75 loan with 30 days to repay ("pawned"). Owner didn't repay the loan and now the pawn shop has the rifle. $399? Way too high. I wouldn't be the least bit interested at that price.

Used to have a W&H Buffalo Classic 45-70. Ok gun. Sloppy chamber. Sold it years ago. Nothing magical about it.

FYI NEF no longer supports these guns. Only parts are on the used market. That drops the price significantly. That was the driving factor in selling my 45-70. They (NEF) don't do the replacement barrel option anymore.

Decent guns, but they are not "high end" . I feel they have been overly hyped to wonder guns. They are not. They are simple, utilitarian, low cost manufactured guns. They are not $400 guns.


"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."
Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: buttstock] #14284148 11/15/19
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 35,141
chlinstructor Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 35,141
Originally Posted by buttstock
I seem to remember reading ads in cdnn newsprint form years ago for 45 Colt NEF/H&R guns for $200-225??? Not a lot of money then. Price of $399 is high, but pawn shops have crazy pricing. If pawned, the gun owner got $50-75 loan with 30 days to repay ("pawned"). Owner didn't repay the loan and now the pawn shop has the rifle. $399? Way too high. I wouldn't be the least bit interested at that price.

Used to have a W&H Buffalo Classic 45-70. Ok gun. Sloppy chamber. Sold it years ago. Nothing magical about it.

FYI NEF no longer supports these guns. Only parts are on the used market. That drops the price significantly. That was the driving factor in selling my 45-70. They (NEF) don't do the replacement barrel option anymore.

Decent guns, but they are not "high end" . I feel they have been overly hyped to wonder guns. They are not. They are simple, utilitarian, low cost manufactured guns. They are not $400 guns.


I think CDNN closed them out at $249, if I recall correctly.


"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Bravo

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: 4570fan] #14285241 11/16/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,333
stantdm Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,333
Thanks for adding that 4570fan, I had forgotten. I wanted to put a .30-30 on my sb-2 receiver and was not happy when they would not do it. Wound up selling the rifle (a .45-70 with an extra barrel in .223 Rem.)

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14287985 11/17/19
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 14,274
Pappy348 Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 14,274
Saw a guy at the range last week shooting one of the .45/70s. He loves it, but it was wearing him out a bit. A .38/55 would be more my candy-ass speed now.


What fresh Hell is this?

Don't be a Provincial Nitwit.
Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: limabean] #14289078 11/17/19
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,986
gunzo Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,986
I've got a 45-70 buffalo classic gathering dust, what it worth these days?

Re: H&R buffalo classic [Re: gunzo] #14318132 11/27/19
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 849
160user Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 849
Originally Posted by gunzo
I've got a 45-70 buffalo classic gathering dust, what it worth these days?


I had a guy off this thread PM me about buying mine and told me they were available “everywhere” for $300 so I decided to just keep mine. It carries very nice, shoots well and is pleasant to shoot. I believe I gave around $75 just for the globe from sight with inserts. I haven’t looked at it for 10 plus years so maybe I need to dig deep in the safe and drag it out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
714 registered members (163bc, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 1234, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 318 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.13 Page Time: 0.122s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8439 MB (Peak: 0.9797 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2020-01-26 17:06:53 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS