Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to need some surgery to repair my rotator cuff that I mucked up a few weeks ago when I fell off a ladder. I'm not sure what's involved yet and I meet with the surgeon next week to begin the process of figuring out what's jacked up in there.
Every person I mention it to says that it's the most painful thing they've ever encountered.
Does anyone here have any experience with rotator cuff surgery and can share what to expect?

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Keep ahead of the pain and you'll be fine. After 2-3 days, Advil should be all you need.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The surgery ain't bad. The therapy afterwards might mist your eyes up a bit.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have rotator issues and my orthopedic basically told me to baby my shoulder. His words to me at the time is you will not like the fix. Co-worker had issues, pain and range of motion issues. Was told because of the damage he needed surgery. After rehab he had pain and range of motion issues pretty much the same as before the surgery. This is of course anecdotal but the shoulder is a complex joint and while technology is improving its better to not need surgery. YMMV.

Last edited by Mike_S; 11/28/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I Have had both shoulders done. Just keep ahead of the pain and get off the narcotics as soon as you can.
It's nothing compaired to having knees replaced. That really sucks.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do a nerve block through neck. Then the first week sucks. I couldnt pick up a cup. Stay on physical therapy after. I was in pain but it wasnt terrible, had worst. I had a bicep tendonisis as well, thats where they sever bicep tendon and pin into place in shoulder.
shaved clavical, depress cysts that formed to protest. It. Suppose to be a 45 min surgery, ended up on the table for 9 hours. Chit happens.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Me being a truck driver my Dr said you will think a truck hit you. I told him you didn’t tell me it was going to back up a run over me again. He ask me if he could use that line. That was the first day after that not bad. Then off to therapy I meet a older gentleman that told me to do my therapy because he didn’t and his shoulder froze up and they had to put him under and manipulate his arm didn’t sound good to me. He said it was worse and hurt longer than the surgery. So. I did the therapy and things turned out great. So I would say do what the therapist says it will hurt the first week but then it will settle down.
Good Luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My doc told me that in a successful surgery they hope to get you back up to 80-85% of what you used to be.
That was a couple years back, I still wouldn't gain that much to make it worth the risks.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm going to need some surgery to repair my rotator cuff that I mucked up a few weeks ago when I fell off a ladder. I'm not sure what's involved yet and I meet with the surgeon next week to begin the process of figuring out what's jacked up in there.
Every person I mention it to says that it's the most painful thing they've ever encountered.
Does anyone here have any experience with rotator cuff surgery and can share what to expect?

I over did some things and tore both. My left had to be surgically reattached, It wasnt that painful until in rehab it locked up. That had some moments.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Keep ahead of the pain and you'll be fine. After 2-3 days, Advil should be all you need.

I can deal with that.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mine weren't rotator cuff - but had the long head of both biceps reattached.
Follow the Dr's orders' re: med's - you'll sleep better. I used our reclining couch and towels stacked to the right height. I wouldn't take the meds properly (almost none) and it's a wonder "The Warden" let me live!
They did a nerve block on me for the first - made me mean, and I lost the best part of 2 days (in and out)
The second, I didn't let them (Dr's suggestion - he didn't like them either) and was much more mellow when I woke up, being wheeled out of the hospital, at 10:30 AM - the day I went in.

Start your rehab ASAP but don't overdo it - Doc chewed me out, and told me I was lucky I didn't hurt myself - and didn't EVEN want round 2 ! smile smile smile

Good luck and prayers will b e sent from here.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don’t know how big your center is or the capabilities and motivation of the anesthesia department. But standard of course is a general anesthetic (go to sleep) but ask if a brachial plexus block is possible. It should be placed before you go to sleep. You’ll wake up with a numb shoulder and parts of the arm; the catheters can be left in up to a couple days.

If placed early and done right the pain will be greatly reduced even after everything wears off.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My wife just had it done last year and I am trying everything to avoid it..Yesterday I got a steroid shot in my shoulder and dang,it feels almost like new,for now anyway...I just told the doctor(my second one) I can't travel the 75 miles one way for surgery and an ortho doctor in the winter,and I won't..So we decided to try the shot and physical therapy first then come spring re-evaluate when traveling the roads is better..If it stays the way it is now,I won't have any surgery because itain't bad at all and you always run the risk of surgery and being worse...

As to the pain of surgery,my wife came through it like a champ not having to use the pain meds given..She had a total reverse shoulder replacement..Like surgery,everyone seems to be different how it goes and pain..But physical therapy after surgery, brought her to her knees,pain wise..Terrible pain the therapist put on her..Like the doctor tols me,if it makes you hurt or you don't like it,just don't go anymore..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mine was done arthroscopically and as others have said, stay ahead of the pain. Do the PT but don't try to get back in shape in 4 weeks. Take your time and you'll be pleased with the outcome.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, first was a medium to large tear and the other a complete tear off. In both cases the anesthesiologist placed a nerve block in my neck before I was taken to surgery and administered general anesthesia. The pain after surgery was well controlled by the meds the surgeon prescribed, in the case of the complete tear off I had a cold water pump that I wore on the shoulder for the first week or so. With the complete tear off PT for the first 8 weeks was passive, I let the therapist stretch my shoulder after that I started gradually exercising to rebuild strength and regain range of motion. The only lasting effect from the repairs is that I cannot work with my arms overhead for more that 15 minutes or so and my range of motion is slightly less than before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After surgery is a hell of a lot less painful than before. Mine was delayed to long and as a result the injury became worse.
Four months before I was allowed to go back to work. The after pain was hardly anything except when I'd bump the arm on something.
Mine was in 1995, chances are things are much better now.

Last edited by Tracks; 11/28/19.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I tore my rotator cuff. Very painful. Fell off a 20 foot ladder with my left arm extended, could have been a lot worse. Thank God I was only on the 2nd rung....

All kidding aside, mine is not bad enough for surgery yet. I do a lot of exercises to beef up the muscles that make up the rotator cuff. Seems to be helping so far. Good luck.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife did the rotator cuff one year and a knee replacement the next, said the shoulder was way worse.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depending on what has to be done in repair you'll have probably 6 weeks in a sling and essentially can't use or stress it. Then maybe some physical therapy. (Depends on the surgeon and surgery necessary).
But, IF you fall and automatically put your hand out to stop or break the fall you'll likely rip it loose and have to have it repaired again. I've been told by several orthopedists that one more repair can be done (attempted) and that's it. Chances of a third repair working are very small.
Best wishes on this.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I was worse. I had to have the right shoulder replaced and they had to do a reverse implant and re-attach my bicep tendon. Both rotator cuff tendons were torn all the way thru.

First off, the nerve block in my neck caused the right side of my diaphragm to paralyze. . My O2 level dropped to 72 % the day after and I almost died. Spent the next day in cardiac arrest observation.

Surgery pain wasn't extreme, but PT was bitch. I did it for 6 weeks, my shoulder dislocated. I put it back in myself and then another 4 weeks of PT. Surgeon wanted to go back in and put a spacer in.I said screw that.

Almost two years out now.Shoulder is stiff in the morning. Aches when I walk with my arm hanging straight down and aches after I work it.I probably have about 90% ROM. I can' t lift things straight up above my head. I was told other muscles will take the place of the rotators. Yea Right.They will,but complain like hell when they do.

All in all, I guess it is better than your rm hanging down useless like it wasn't part of you.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/28/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 12 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.