Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Formi,

Thanks for sharing the info on .mil trials.

Does the T3x Artic address the failure of the bolt stop pin, inherent to the Tikkler design? I realize that reliability/robustness due to environmental conditions (dust, freezing) is an important factor, but how much evaluation is done for durability? The bolt stop pin gets hammered on a standard Tikkler and is a failure point.

I realize that failure of a bolt stop does not shut down a rifle, but makes operation... less than convenient. I'd imagine there is a .mil ranking process for these evals?

Thanks,

Jason

Bolt stop pin failures: I’m actually not sure how much of a real, across the board issue this is/was. No issues of it have come up in the foreign military trials, I and buddies have shot 20-30 Tikkas heavily to the tune of an average of 15,000+ rounds per action with guys that run the bolt... vigorously to say the least. In all of that, one guy had two pins break on the same gun in around 5,000 rounds. A hardened pin corrected it and no problems in nearly three times the round count since have shown up. Because of those two pins EVERYONE immediately started to purposely try and break their pins in their guns. Guys running the bolt as hard as they possibly can. That lasted for a while and then everyone just gave up as no pins were breaking.

Durability evaluation: Durability in use was one of the most looked at aspects in the trials I know of with Tikka’s.

Evaluation ranking process: In context of this, there is a MRBS (mean rounds between stoppages) and MRBF (mean rounds between failures). Stoppages are malfunctions that can be solved on the spot. Failures are breakages or issues requiring an armorer/manufacturers intervention. A broken bolt stop pin would be a MRBF. In one trial from what I understand the MRBS was 2,500 rounds, and the MRBF was 10,000 rounds (might have been 7,500). Sako TRG, AI, and Tikka all passed those numbers. NO controlled round feed action, and no Remington 700 based action with R700 compatible triggers made those numbers.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 11/30/19.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Bolt stop pin failures: I’m actually not sure how much of a real, across the board issue this is/was. No issues of it have come up in the foreign military trials, I and buddies have shot 20-30 Tikkas heavily to the tune of an average of 15,000+ rounds per action with guys that run the bolt... vigorously to say the least. In all of that, one guy had two pins break on the same gun in around 5,000 rounds. A hardened pin corrected it and no problems in nearly three times the round count since have shown up. Because of those two pins EVERYONE immediately started to purposely try and break their pins in their guns. Guys running the bolt as hard as they possibly can. That lasted for a while and then everyone just gave up as no pins were breaking.

Durability evaluation: Durability in use was one of the most looked at aspects in the trials I know of with Tikka’s.

Evaluation ranking process: In context of this, there is a MRBS (mean rounds between stoppages) and MRBF (mean rounds between failures). Stoppages are malfunctions that can be solved on the spot. Failures are breakages or issues requiring an armorer/manufacturers intervention. A broken bolt stop pin would be a MRBF. In one trial from what I understand the MRBS was 2,500 rounds, and the MRBF was 10,000 rounds (might have been 7,500). Sako TRG, AI, and Tikka all passed those numbers. NO controlled round feed action, and no Remington 700 based action with R700 compatible triggers made those numbers.

Good stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Does any mfg make a extreme conditions- hard use ready to buy factory rifle? One that will work in sub zero- extreme heat- dry sandy- moist muddy weather- perhaps backup irons if your optic fails kind of rifle. Bolt action....

To be fair, if you’re interested in actual data from military trials, a lot of the rifles mentioned that people think are “bombproof”, really don’t fair well when used heavily; especially in ice/sleet and chalky blowing sand. Triggers are item #1 to give problems. Extraction and ejection, and kind of suprisingly to most- feeding.

The gold standard is the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare (AW and AWM), along with the AIAX. Right “under” them is the Sako TRG series. And in the two legitimate military trials where they have been tested- the Tikka T3x (Arctic and Tac). The reason why is a bunch of little details and quality manufacturer, but big picture it’s because of the environment they were designed around... which is in their names- “Arctic Warfare” and T3x “Arctic”. The T3 really being a lighter hunting version of the TRG.

Rain that seeps down into the trigger mechanism and then freezes is the cause of most issues. The AI, Sako, and T3 were all specifically designed to function in that environment. Properally designed two stage triggers will always be more reliable and forgiving of debris. They have significantly more sear engagement which is helps with drop tests and can be used for the first stage to clear ice/debris. Single stages can be good, the stock single stage T3 trigger is very good, but across the board a well designed two stage is more reliable, especially at lighter pull weights.

Extraction and ejection has the same issues with water freezing. Again, all three were specifically designed to function in those conditions.

Lastly of the big items: detachable magazines. Purists will loose their minds over this- but well designed detachable magazines (AI and TRG) have proven repeatedly to have a higher mean rounds between stoppages than internal box mags. Consistently.

Properly built controlled round feed actions have not proven to be more reliable than the above push feeds. Yes, they have been tested alongside them.

Just so folks can read this again...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
I can tell you a Kimber Montana firing pin freezes when it spends a day in snow and then a single digit night. Took one min to fix with my stove, but still..

I’ve never had that happen... but I degrease every bolt/firing pin assembly of every rifle I own. Never a problem, even at -30*F.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Are Zastava M70’s true mauser designs??

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Though I do not own one, I would certainly be more than willing to try one of the MRC stainless / synthetic rifles.

I looked at a MRC Alaskan in 375 H&H yesterday. Appeared to be a very nice rifle. I think that the company has squared away its business. It appeared the present owner was going in the right direction. I would definitely give them a try.

Originally Posted by sierraHunter
My Montana Rifle Company has worked well. All stainless, gas handling like the 98, and an open trigger like the pre64. I believe some have had good experiences and some different. The Alasken comes with open sights.

[quote

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by prm
I can tell you a Kimber Montana firing pin freezes when it spends a day in snow and then a single digit night. Took one min to fix with my stove, but still..

I’ve never had that happen... but I degrease every bolt/firing pin assembly of every rifle I own. Never a problem, even at -30*F.

I’ve had a Ruger pin freeze up in the field on a shot at a deer. Pin wouldn’t drop....over lubed with Frog Lube. Degreased as Brad described and now it’s my usual practice.

Yup.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The T3x Arctic does seem to be a very reliable and interesting rifle.

Does any mfg make a extreme conditions- hard use ready to buy factory rifle? One that will work in sub zero- extreme heat- dry sandy- moist muddy weather- perhaps backup irons if your optic fails kind of rifle. Bolt action....

To be fair, if you’re interested in actual data from military trials, a lot of the rifles mentioned that people think are “bombproof”, really don’t fair well when used heavily; especially in ice/sleet and chalky blowing sand. Triggers are item #1 to give problems. Extraction and ejection, and kind of suprisingly to most- feeding.

The gold standard is the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare (AW and AWM), along with the AIAX. Right “under” them is the Sako TRG series. And in the two legitimate military trials where they have been tested- the Tikka T3x (Arctic and Tac). The reason why is a bunch of little details and quality manufacturer, but big picture it’s because of the environment they were designed around... which is in their names- “Arctic Warfare” and T3x “Arctic”. The T3 really being a lighter hunting version of the TRG.

Rain that seeps down into the trigger mechanism and then freezes is the cause of most issues. The AI, Sako, and T3 were all specifically designed to function in that environment. Properally designed two stage triggers will always be more reliable and forgiving of debris. They have significantly more sear engagement which is helps with drop tests and can be used for the first stage to clear ice/debris. Single stages can be good, the stock single stage T3 trigger is very good, but across the board a well designed two stage is more reliable, especially at lighter pull weights.

Extraction and ejection has the same issues with water freezing. Again, all three were specifically designed to function in those conditions.

Lastly of the big items: detachable magazines. Purists will loose their minds over this- but well designed detachable magazines (AI and TRG) have proven repeatedly to have a higher mean rounds between stoppages than internal box mags. Consistently.

Properly built controlled round feed actions have not proven to be more reliable than the above push feeds. Yes, they have been tested alongside them.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prm

I had it happen once on an elk hunt. I was helping to lead some horses in a heavy, wet snowstorm, clearing many branches and through some willows. Got to the campsite after dark. I might have even left it in the tent overnight, I don’t recall. It was really cold the next morning and when I went to give it a quick op check before leaving camp before sunrise it didn’t work. A min over the stove freed it up. Certainly an element of operator neglect. Live and learn. All rifles are now completely degreased, perhaps some dry moly applied.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Form, happen to know if a T3x stock fits on the T3x Arctic?

Edit: different mag, probably not?

I could really like an iron sighted .308 from Tikka!

Last edited by prm; 11/30/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

Me either but I to degrease the bolt, spring and raceway.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Good stuff.

Formidilosus is my favorite poster on The Fire and sometimes I still do the exact opposite of what he recommends. Old habits die hard grin

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Thank you, that's not what I would have expected. The old boat paddled Ruger is what I pictured. The T3 is a pleasant suprise. I had never heard of the arctic model.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Formi,

Thanks for answering my questions. I appreciate your willingness to share these details. MRBS and MRBF makes sense for firearms. I am familiar with MTBF (mean time between failures) for machines, where product life is counted in hours. Round count makes more sense for firearms.

Jason

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I just observed a problem ( I think this would be a partial MRBF) on a Tikka T3 SL in .223 that my friend used on his farm this summer as a "truck" gun. I have its twin that I really like for a utility rifle so I am not a Tikka basher. We were shooting steel gongs at 200+ yards today when his rifle started dropping the empties in the action or very weakly ejecting it. Factory ammo. My rifle was working correctly and was there for a direct comparison of function. At first we thought the plunger ejector had crap in it. But the plunger pressure felt indistinguishable between the two rifles. The extractor on his bolt was not in contact with the side of the bolt face like it was on my bolt. It had enough grip on the case to bring it out of the chamber but no spring tension to work in concert with the ejector when the case cleared the loading port to pop it out. We tried to clean out the between extractor and bolt but couldn't do it "in the field". He figured he had about 100 rounds in it over the summer. He doesn't purposely abuse guns. He went to gunsmith school after he returned from viet nam long ago so he has the tools and ability to remove the extractor. He isn't "chitcanning" the rifle but he did say he wished it was the same type extractor as used on M-16 which are very easy to remove for cleaning (you do have to keep track of the little spring though).

I had a Model 70 get some water or slush get into the action while up elk hunting and become non-functional overnight in a truck cab. The bolt wouldn't stay cocked after I loaded it in he morning, on an empty chamber the striker would move forward de-cocking the rifle as you closed the bolt. It wasn't that cold out it was just some slush falling from snow covered trees that got into the action during the afternoon and then froze out sight in the action. I had wiped the moisture off the rifle the best I could in the evening and left it with the action open overnight. The trigger would move and the bolt itself was fully functional. Stuff happens, so I grabbed my spare rifle and went hunting. The rifle thawed and dried out during day no worse for wear. If I didn't have a spare rifle along I would have just gone back to the tent and fired up the wood stove and thawed it out.

You guys are aware that there are gun lube/protectants rated to temperatures as low as -85F aren't you? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1937252287 You can stop using bear grease wink

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bear grease works good in cold weather.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I knew bear fat, if the critter wasn't eating carrion, renders out pretty good lard for use as shortening but I had no idea it maintains lubricity at -85F! Learn something new everyday.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Since I've hunted all manner of rifles and shotguns in rain, sleet, snow and sub zero temps without trouble, I guess I don't need to worry about it too much. The only glitch I can recall in over 40 years was on a duck hunt in freezing rain. Froze the bolt shut on my Mossberg 500 that day and had to kneel down, rest the butt on the ground and really lean into it useing both hands on the forearm to break it loose.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I got a LAW Professional in 300 win mag for those purposes. CRF, cerakote, synthetic stock, bulletproof action. Topped it with a 3-10 SHV in nightforce ultralight rings. Should be a bomb proof set up for my uses.

Last edited by CApighunter; 12/02/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The entire premise of this thread is fantasy land IMO.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.