-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know you wrote crf and this is the Winchester site, but having shot a .300 WM Pre-64 M70 back before I could afford my own rifles, I didn't much like the recoil and the older I get, I'm enjoying recoil even less. Anyway, you are going add some addition weight with a crf over a push feed action. You asked for actual weight of a build and I just weighed my 7mm RM with my Normark digital fish scale at 7 pounds 2 ounces.

Here is the recipe:
M700 Remington action
#1 taper ss 24" barrel
Brown Precision Kevlar Pound'r stock
2.5-10x42 Swarovski PH scope
Conetrol rings and bases
Hard chrome plated action
Full camo painted

About as perfect a mountain rifle as I could have put together and my elk were just as deceased as my buddies elk were with their .300 WM and .338 WM's. Even a light 7mm RM recoils some and mine is too big for around here, so it will be on the be in the classifieds sooner or later.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Other options are a Montana in 280 Ackley, and a 7lb 14oz M-70 7mm Rem Mag, both shoot the 160 Accubond at around 3050 FPS.

When Kimber came out with that 280 AI those things sold like hot cakes to sheep hunters up here in Alaska. now most are using 6.5 CM and the 280 AI have been relegated to the safe.. Call me mr nostalgia but I chose a winchester because that's what Jack O'Connor used for his sheep hunts. I think the perfect rifle would be a stainless classic featherweight in a chambering of your choice.. if I sheep hunt next year I'm going to use a blued featherweight classic in a 270 with 150gr Sierra's. Finding a new haven classic featherweight getting harder and harder.

Last edited by 79S; 12/05/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Other options are a Montana in 280 Ackley, and a 7lb 14oz M-70 7mm Rem Mag, both shoot the 160 Accubond at around 3050 FPS.

When Kimber came out with that 280 AI those things sold like hot cakes to sheep hunters up here in Alaska. now most are using 6.5 CM and the 280 AI have been relegated to the safe.. Call me mr nostalgia but I chose a winchester because that's what Jack O'Connor used for his sheep hunts. I think the perfect rifle would be a stainless classic featherweight in a chambering of your choice.. if I sheep hunt next year I'm going to use a blued featherweight classic in a 270 with 150gr Sierra's. Finding a new haven classic featherweight getting harder and harder.

I saw a beautiful classic featherweight chambered in 30-06 the other day for $450.00 . I cant believe the prices of some of these classic rifles lately. I damn near bought that one, but i need another 30-06 like i need a hole in my head.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The op should have bought my 7wsm i sold on gb. It would have been an awesome donor for a 6.5 prc build.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Windfall
I know you wrote crf and this is the Winchester site, but having shot a .300 WM Pre-64 M70 back before I could afford my own rifles, I didn't much like the recoil and the older I get, I'm enjoying recoil even less. Anyway, you are going add some addition weight with a crf over a push feed action. You asked for actual weight of a build and I just weighed my 7mm RM with my Normark digital fish scale at 7 pounds 2 ounces.

Here is the recipe:
M700 Remington action
#1 taper ss 24" barrel
Brown Precision Kevlar Pound'r stock
2.5-10x42 Swarovski PH scope
Conetrol rings and bases
Hard chrome plated action
Full camo painted

About as perfect a mountain rifle as I could have put together and my elk were just as deceased as my buddies elk were with their .300 WM and .338 WM's. Even a light 7mm RM recoils some and mine is too big for around here, so it will be on the be in the classifieds sooner or later.

Windfall, appreciate your input, but.....no. smile

Last edited by nyrifleman; 12/05/19.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The op should have bought my 7wsm i sold on gb. It would have been an awesome donor for a 6.5 prc build.

BSA, I passed because I know you will tire of that 338 eventually. wink

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sheep hunters are a weird bunch, when it comes to weight most will only take a handful of cartridges for their rifle. Some take 10 extra rds us what’s in rifle magazine. It’s all About weight like I said they are a weird bunch lol most sheep hunters been bit by the bug and there drive for the lightest and best is crazy. I have a $400 sleeping bag weighs hair over 1Lb, my tent weighs less than 3lbs. If you use magnum you only have 3rds in the mag, So is 2 extra rds in the mag that big of deal all depends who you talk to.. also I’m no hardcore sheep hunter, I’m a novice..

Last edited by 79S; 12/05/19.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But never hurts to have an excuse to build another rifle though 😁 but I would concentrate on buying tent, sleeping bag etc. don’t know when your hunt it fall of 20 or fall of 21.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a custom Pete Grisel DSB small ring Mauser stocked by Ottmar that I'd love to hunt sheep with.

.270, shoots 130 Partitions at 3100 over the standard load of H4831SC.

But with grizzly on the menu, and inclement weather probable, I dare not.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
79S, 2022.

Take me that long to pay for it!

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
79S, 2022.

Take me that long to pay for it!

Oh you have time for sure then 😁 are you hunting with Jake Jefferson?

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's the plan

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a custom Pete Grisel DSB small ring Mauser stocked by Ottmar that I'd love to hunt sheep with.

That screams JOC right there!

Do you mean you have a griz tag as well? Or you’re just going to be in griz country? Seems like if you bumped up to a 150 Partition you’d be well healed for both and be in the mountains with a classic.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Do you mean you have a griz tag as well? Or you’re just going to be in griz country? Seems like if you bumped up to a 150 Partition you’d be well healed for both and be in the mountains with a classic.

Hell yes. When I had a 270, that is the bullet I decided on for an all around do anything bullet for around here. I ended up buying a chit load of them from SPS and then sold my 270 fwt to someone that wanted it more than I did...

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N

I will have a grizz tag as well.

How does one prep a custom walnut stock for rain?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Putting wax in it is one way.. true oil gun stock wax.. I’m
Sure others have better ways/ideas..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Putting wax in it is one way.. true oil gun stock wax.. I’m
Sure others have better ways/ideas..

I’d make sure any unfinished areas such as the barrel inlet, action inlet and recoil pad area get a bunch of Marine Spar Varnish. Other than that, if the woods sealed well I’d be good with it. Sounds like a beauty.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Keep the 280 and split the difference grin

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I hunt that 280 AI in the Kimber that's for sure. I have no issue using 160 AB on brown bear.

Last edited by 79S; 12/06/19.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I hunt that 280 AI in the Kimber that's for sure. I have know issue using 160 AB on brown bear.

I am leaning in that direction.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.