Campfire Outfitter
I’d probably start crying if I told all the mistakes I’ve made. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buying chia pets is never a good long term financial goal.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Do we mention the time I took a "vacation" to head to Lake Placid in 1979? A long roundabout trip, visiting old "girlfriend" and partying a lot along the way. With intentions of getting to the Olympic Village construction, earning some money, and getting to watch the HOCKEY tournament. You know, the Miracle On Ice one? The one I missed because I was completely broke when I hit Harrisburg PA.

I did that instead of using the cash I had on hand for a down payment on the house across the street from my folks. The one that sold a year later for $19000 more than I would have paid for it. 19 Grand in 1979 wasn't a bad wage for a full years work, not to mention a tidy profit on a small house.

Of course, I could have bought cheap land in any of numerous "rural" areas in SoCal, which quickly became suburbs. Think Moreno Valley, Temecula, Ramona, Antelope Valley.

And I could have thought more highly of computers and gotten some training in using them, or even just invested in some early computer stock. But no, I had a good paying job, turned 21, chased girls, bought new cars, etc etc.

Didn't get back on track until I was in my mid 30's. Then was a starving student for 4 years, and a low pay scale employee for a few more. Eventually, I did OK, but boy would I like to do it over again sometimes.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the businesses I started second official day of business was 9/11/01.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Do we mention the time I took a "vacation" to head to Lake Placid in 1979? A long roundabout trip, visiting old "girlfriend" and partying a lot along the way. With intentions of getting to the Olympic Village construction, earning some money, and getting to watch the HOCKEY tournament. You know, the Miracle On Ice one? The one I missed because I was completely broke when I hit Harrisburg PA.

I did that instead of using the cash I had on hand for a down payment on the house across the street from my folks. The one that sold a year later for $19000 more than I would have paid for it. 19 Grand in 1979 wasn't a bad wage for a full years work, not to mention a tidy profit on a small house.

Of course, I could have bought cheap land in any of numerous "rural" areas in SoCal, which quickly became suburbs. Think Moreno Valley, Temecula, Ramona, Antelope Valley.

And I could have thought more highly of computers and gotten some training in using them, or even just invested in some early computer stock. But no, I had a good paying job, turned 21, chased girls, bought new cars, etc etc.

Didn't get back on track until I was in my mid 30's. Then was a starving student for 4 years, and a low pay scale employee for a few more. Eventually, I did OK, but boy would I like to do it over again sometimes.

Geno

It's all a part of the learning process and adventure. If we'd have done everything right, we'd have some pretty boring stories to tell.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JOG
One of the businesses I started second official day of business was 9/11/01.

That isn't a bad decision. That's bad timing or more accurately, bad luck.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Buying a bass boat. They're definitely money pits. wink

Originally Posted by hanco
Damn boat, been lots of fun, but damn sure a money pit.

Originally Posted by DubThomas
Buying a boat, selling it and not learning my lesson so I bought another boat. The biggest mistake was letting my wife (now my EX-wife) have access to the investment account.

I dumb cause I still have the boat.

Tell me about the dumb ways to buy a boat and if there’s ever a smart way. We are threatening to buy one as soon as this coming spring. Our kids are still pretty little at 1 and 3 so I could definitely make an argument to put it off. But the financial part, was it financed or bought cash? Just piddling money away on constant repairs and maintenance and not factoring that into your budget? Spent too much on a toy? Don’t use it enough?

Last edited by exbiologist; 12/02/19.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
My first and repeated mistake was buying new vehicles on credit.
My second and repeated mistake was living above my income means with credit cards.
My third mistake was not paying myself first (10% off the top) that my dad always said was important.

I think that Dave Ramsey has the blueprint for all young couples on how to build lifetime wealth, from the get go, by following the Seven Baby Steps.

The system encourages buying unaffordable things on credit so they have to work until death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I've spent too much on vehicles over the years. Even when I was single I had 4 vehicles, nice truck, hunting truck, nice car, beater road trip car. I'm always getting a hard time about vehicles. I should have been putting most of that money in retirement accounts.

There were some vehicles I made money on but most were a loss. Even now I have a 19 ram crew, my old 2 door 94 hunting Yukon, a 19 Cherokee trail hawk, and a 14 sienna. If I could only keep one it would be the 94 Yukon.

My other 2 financial weaknesses are guns and gold&silver. Luckily I've made money and am still ahead on the metals hobby and the guns have probably at least held their value overall.

Bb

My finances are in pretty good shape and I max out my 401k along with having a pension, but I have a weakness for vehicles as well. Typically always have three, kinda shake when I only have two and more often than not have four. Usually flip a half dozen a year after buying them with various issues, but have two kinda garage trucks at the moment that don't really get used as much as they should and the two I typically drive were project vehicles that are wroth 2-4x what I have in them.

Oh well, worse problems to have.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Opened a used car tote the note lot.Worked 80 hrs a week at my oilfield job chased cars in the bad part of town on my day off.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Give it enough pages, someone's bought a Peloton. Haha

Saw the commercial the other day with the cute gal who got one from her hubby.

Asked my wife if I should get her one.

She laughed.

So I guess it won't be me you get to chuckle at.

Geno

expensive thing to hang clothes on

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Buying a Bristol Bay gillnetter sight unseen,,$200.000 mistake,,,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With out a doubt my first wife... almost ruined me

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not selling thousands of shares of CLRN at $175, because it was closed to employee trading at the time. Not an illegal act, but one that would have had me terminated.

Dave, a fellow employee that also had some angel investor shares, said WTF and sold at least 50K shares at that point. A lot of us co-workers were shocked. "How could he do such a thing?". Now, he's my hero, and I tell his story to my kids. "Ain't no job worth $X,XXX,XXX if you're a good employee. Take the sure money and move on to the next gig"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Horses..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, that first marriage was 7 years of hell, emotional and financial, that took the next 20 or more to get over. Probably wouldn't have survived it without Mrs. number two! 43 years and counting this time around!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by skeen
Buying a bass boat. They're definitely money pits. wink

Damn boat, been lots of fun, but damn sure a money pit.

Originally Posted by DubThomas
Buying a boat, selling it and not learning my lesson so I bought another boat. The biggest mistake was letting my wife (now my EX-wife) have access to the investment account.

I dumb cause I still have the boat.

Tell me about the dumb ways to buy a boat and if there’s ever a smart way. We are threatening to buy one as soon as this coming spring. Our kids are still pretty little at 1 and 3 so I could definitely make an argument to put it off. But the financial part, was it financed or bought cash? Just piddling money away on constant repairs and maintenance and not factoring that into your budget? Spent too much on a toy? Don’t use it enough?

I gave around 2 grand for my aluminum fishing boat about 5 years ago. I've spent a few hundred on routine maintenance, and have really enjoyed it so far. It should be worth a bit more than I paid for it. A boat doesn't have to break the bank.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Buying cheap batteries at dollar general instead of energizer,s for my Ronco pocket pussy.

Lesson learned....

Had ta take matters into my own hands when those DG batteries petered out.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As I mentioned on another thread - selling a 1966 Shelby GT 350 in 1974 for $2500. Also, turning our investments over to an investment professional at Paine Webber in 1999 who loaded us up with a bunch of tech stocks just before the tech crash. We've done much better since due to my wife took over our investments. Helps to marry an economics major.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems many mention boats, I'm like gregintn, buy quality aluminum boats with four stroke outboards, very little maintenance and tons of fun, with great resale.

Again bad wives, the most expensive thing a guy can do by a long shot....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.