-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All the bazillions of rounds of ammo I bought during the obama unpleasantness , expecting that hildabitch would get elected.

I hope this place don't catch fire.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by skeen
Buying a bass boat. They're definitely money pits. wink

Originally Posted by hanco
Damn boat, been lots of fun, but damn sure a money pit.

Originally Posted by DubThomas
Buying a boat, selling it and not learning my lesson so I bought another boat. The biggest mistake was letting my wife (now my EX-wife) have access to the investment account.

Originally Posted by hanco
I dumb cause I still have the boat.

Tell me about the dumb ways to buy a boat and if there’s ever a smart way. We are threatening to buy one as soon as this coming spring. Our kids are still pretty little at 1 and 3 so I could definitely make an argument to put it off. But the financial part, was it financed or bought cash? Just piddling money away on constant repairs and maintenance and not factoring that into your budget? Spent too much on a toy? Don’t use it enough?

I gave around 2 grand for my aluminum fishing boat about 5 years ago. I've spent a few hundred on routine maintenance, and have really enjoyed it so far. It should be worth a bit more than I paid for it. A boat doesn't have to break the bank.

What Greg said. I've had boats for close to 40 years and the cost to keep and maintain have been minimal. We bought a new no thrills pontoon back in 1988 that served my family well for 31 years. I went into the shop only once during that time and only cost me about $230.I did all the rest of the upkeep and maintenance my self. We finally traded it in on a new pontoon just because we wanted what we felt was a well deserved upgrade. Also have an 18ft run about to take the kids tubing and such. Upkeep and repairs on it have also been minimal. Of course I do all I can to take good care of the boats to keep them in good shape. I paid $5100 for the new1988 and 31 years later, received $2900 on trade in. Not too bad for that many years of enjoyment.

3825 24336
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I bought a 2013 key west 203 dual console with a Honda 150 a couple of years ago. I've really enjoyed it and it hasn't been expensive, it does what I want and is good on fuel. I think the key is to not get too googly eyed at new boats with all the gee whiz stuff on them that costs a fortune, buy something that's basic with a reliable motor that you can maintain yourself. If you're the type that can't change the oil or impeller without taking it to the shop then it's going to cost a lot more.

We all have to meet our basic needs first but once that's met then there's nothing wrong with a little luxury as long as you can afford it. The point of life is to live some isn't it? I've got an aunt and uncle in their mid 80's now that are probably worth $10 million and they've still got the first nickel they ever earned. By talking to them you'd think they were living hand to mouth wondering where their next meal is coming from but they're sitting on a pile of money like Scrooge McDuck. What's the point of that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We bought a pull behind camper. I didn't want it, my wife did. Fuggin money hole. We had it 2 years and was just about to cause a divorce so she wanted one she could drive. Another $65,000 down the fuggin drain. I won't drive it and I rarely stay in it. It is nicer than the pull behind but even the best of them are a total POS. We live in Iowa, it's butt a$$ed cold for 6 months of the year so it sets 6 months of the year. I should of done the divorce and saved myself a lot of money.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like I don;t have a problem with making bad buys. Had a few bad sells though. The '65 Mustang loaded Pony edition that I let go for $700 when there were used Mustangs everywhere comes to mind. Then there were the stock options I sold, thinking they were close to topped out, but went on to double in value. Sold a house just before the market here took off, and it was sold again a year later for twice the price.

The biggest though, was a failure to buy. Shoulda bought land here when it was going to $600 and acre. I thinks - "that ain't ever gonna be worth having for that". (Dad didn't raise no real estate tycoons). Now, that ten acres would go for half a million.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Buying crap I didn't need with credit cards. Quitting college twice. Getting married and divorced twice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 6mm250
All the bazillions of rounds of ammo I bought during the obama unpleasantness , expecting that hildabitch would get elected.

Mike

Pardon me, but I can't feel your pain. (But I do sincerely hope your place doesn't catch fire.) However, I do admire you for being one of the few to admit it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
By far, the worst financial disasters I've had were by letting my little head do the thinking. eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

my 2nd marriage.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Not buying up charter halibut permits 5 years ago. Not going all-in on no brainer investments in 2009.

We all buy stupid things that ultimately cost us money. The missed opportunities are what really hurt.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well the electric dog buffer/polisher was a total waste. But the fur lined underwear do have some benefits. 😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Pardon me, but I can't feel your pain. (But I do sincerely hope your place doesn't catch fire.) However, I do admire you for being one of the few to admit it.

It's OK , I got a nice tent to live in. It's in the woods back here behind the county landfill.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Getting rid of the '61 Corvair, the '57 Chevy, and the '68 SS Chevelle................

I didn't have $3K in ALL of them.........................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Bought a load of silver at $30 an ounce awhile back. Made 6% in just a couple weeks and then it went to $15 and hasn't gained much since.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,...stuck my dick in crazy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were married a couple years, living in a trailer, I had been
saving for quite a while for a home.

Both driving truck for a guy, he talked up into investing in
the a brokering business with him.

Lost $25k in less than a year.

That hurt.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by GBOB
Believing I was a bona fide day trader about 20 yrs ago!

About the same time I thought I had a knack for writing naked puts....

Turns out ...I didn't...

i have made quite a bit of money selling covered calls though the years.
in summer of 19 87 a fellow broker put down on about 20 oex puts. after a week or so nothing happening so he wrote a ticket to cancil the position, wrong, he doubled the position. The market fell apart. he was so busy talking to clients he didn't check his own account for a few days, couldn't figure what the half million was doing sitting there. He closed it for sure then. i know another guy that sold a bunch of nakkid calls on a stock at it's 52week high. he didn't think it could go any higher till the takeover was announced a day or two later.
he had a lot of trouble rounding up the stock to deliver, about a two day 120k learning lesson.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bought a second hand low mileage Chevy Z71 back around 1996. POS it was. The good news was that my soon to be Ex took it when she left. Win-win.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I cant say I very made a real bad financial mistake. In 2009 I installed an EKO 25 gassification wood boiler and it cost me 9400 dollars. It took 7 yrs of cutting and stacking wood to save the $9400 dollars in heat bills though. I didn't loose anything but putting that money in a simple S&P 500 fund would have payed for my heat bills all that time and never would have had to go find wood , cut , split and stack it. I do it on my spare time but it sure was a lot of work to get my money back. The heat is far superior with the hydronic floor heat however. I have 34K in Occidnetal Petroleum stocks and am down about $ 8,000 but I believe it hit bottom now and should recover with very cheap reinvested dividends. I bought a 1975 Volksawgon Rabbit for $2,000 and it only lasted about 2 yrs at best. That was a lot of money then. As for my boat, a new Alumacraft V16 bought for cash in 1990 for $1,260 , and $800 25 hrs Merc and a $300 trailer sett me back about $2,500 dollars. Still have the boat and on my second 25 hrs Merc and think I have $ 5,000 into it including everything . Likely worth $1,500 today. I use it about 20 times a yr . I have done very good but only cause I was interested in land in the late 80's , 90's and early 2000's. I also am down several grand on my biotech investments but hey , you will never always win. As for cars, I buy used and run them to the ground.

Last edited by ihookem; 12/02/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine Was Asking A Real Estate Friend About Looking At And Splitting Some Property.. We Walked It. And Then Told Me It Wasn't Worth The $250,000 Asking Price... He Bought It Two Weeks Later. In One Of His LLC's And Sold It For $850.000 In Less Than Six Months.. Took Me About Year To Find Out...

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.