Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by tmitch
I will echo the above posts on restarting without cleaning out the burn pot. I have a Pit Boss and, if I ever when I buy another, it will have a burn pot that can be cleaned/dumped without tearing the grill apart! Also I would get one that the hopper can be dumped. Mine will go out occasionally when using the lowest settings and I made the mistake once of restarting without cleaning. Flame on!! I've also had the pellets burn back up the auger into the hopper which can cause some excitement too! So far the one I've found with those two features is the Camp Chef brand. Good look at those features here:

It's like a wiener tucking contest, but gayer...

laugh

Dave,

you have a way with words somedays.

Kelbro said it with a picture.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by frogman43
My brother is the BBQ expert in the family, and yes he started out as a stick burner, like almost everyone else out there. He worked his way up, and for years competed on the Kansas City Barbecue Society Pro division (Holy Smokers BBQ Team). Whenever I had time, and close proximity, I would travel to a competition to help out and "sample" the product. His turn in boxes always looked amazing.....that stuff is on a whole different level!

That being said, he and my sister in law have moved more into the area of catering and event selling of BBQ. A blind man can notice that ALL the major competitors and professionals, usually use a pellet smoker of some variety. So, I went and purchased a "Pit Boss" 1000 about 3 months ago. With his instruction, I was turning out awesome, tender, moist, flavorful foods in no time. Pellet smokers are more forgiving, less intense work. The MAJORITY OF THE WORK IN BBQ IS PREPARATION! Now read that last part again, and again until it sinks in.

Buying quality meats and preparing them correctly will do more for your outcome than you ever imagined! Pitt Boss markets their own brand of pellets, and they have different varieties as well. I happen to like their "Competition Blend" pellets of Hickory Apple and Cherry I believe. You can purchase them from Walmart at $14.98 a 40# bag, and have them delivered.

I entered a local BBQ competition 3 weeks after buying the smoker, and ended up with three "Call's". Third Place Pork Rib's, Second Place Pork Butt, First Place brisket. I tell you that just to show you that even though I hadn't had much experience with a Pellet Smoker, they are extremely easy to use and produce quality results! Spending $90 on a Prime Brisket, you don't want to disappoint! There's a tremendous amount of knowledge out there online, just search for recipes you like and experiment....that's the only true way to get good at this craft!

Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the heads-up on the Pit Boss....been hesitant to start smoking but might have to try one of those out.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by frogman43

I entered a local BBQ competition 3 weeks after buying the smoker, and ended up with three "Call's". Third Place Pork Rib's, Second Place Pork Butt, First Place brisket. I tell you that just to show you that even though I hadn't had much experience with a Pellet Smoker, they are extremely easy to use and produce quality results! Spending $90 on a Prime Brisket, you don't want to disappoint! There's a tremendous amount of knowledge out there online, just search for recipes you like and experiment....that's the only true way to get good at this craft!

Good Luck and enjoy!

frog, happy for your success.

But therein lies the rub......................due to the popularity and ease of use, them dang 'every man should own one" pellet smokers have every Billy Bob and their uncles smokin' briskets and such and drove the price up on what used to be an economy cut. Now a regular Joe can't hardly afford one.

Used to be nice when real men used a shell from an old fridge, a charcoal bowl from an old burnt out Smokey Joe, and some chunks of real wood to smoke cheap cuts and fish.

Along with the TV cooking shows increasing the popularity of flank steak, I can't get the cheaper cuts I used to. Same with tongue.

As long as liver remains unpopular I'll at least have something I like to eat that I can afford on a fixed income.

Geno

Thanks Geno, but truth is, I owe my success to my brother. He's the one that has put long years in learning the tricks of the trade. Now, I'm no slouch when it comes to cooking, but make no mistake, with BBQ he's the expert in our family.

I agree, the cost of brisket has risen dramatically these days, and that's when you can find it! For competitions, "Prime" is preferred, buy I have used "Choice" as well. I usually buy mine in Sam's Club meat department, but they often don't have it available. I have a "Choice" Brisket in the freezer now....waiting for future use if I should need it!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I originally looked at the "Woodwind" smoker with the attached sear box. They were running $1,000.00 at the time, just couldn't swing it. There's another brand that's a player in the field...."Grilla" Grills out of Holland MI. My brother lives nearby and drove over on my request and said they were heavy duty smokers! Only problem was, they were so busy, they didn't have time to return my call.....so went and purchased my PIT Boss at Tractor Supply, and they even reduced the price by $100. So at $399, I ended up with the better deal I believe.

My PIT Boss 1000 has a slotted area over the firepot, and when you slide the heavy steel cover back out of the way, you can use it to sear steaks! Works very well!

As others have stated, keep your firepot clean, and don't leave pellets in your pellet hopper if there's a chance they can get wet! They will disintegrate in there!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've been looking at the Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX w/sear box. Anybody have personal experience with that one? Looks like it's easier to clean and maintain than most of them.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no pellets here.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
no pellets here.

Rog, you need a slab of good homemade bread to soak up them juices!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Ive had my fair share of grills and smokers. I love pellet grills for what they are. To me that means, being able to quickly smoke or grill with added flavor on weeknights with little to no prep time.

If I have time, I prefer to use charcoal, but it sure is nice for those overnight cooks or when we are in and out of the house to just tell the grill what temp to hold and not think about it again.

Recently picked up a used Memphis Pro and that thing is a whole nother level. Smokes well, typical light smoke profile of pellet grills, but you can grill directly on the flames at a very high heat. If, god forbid, I could only have one grill, this would without a doubt be it.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So I tried my pellet grill yesterday. I soaked two chickens in brine overnight, seasoned them, put them on the Traeger, smoked them for about an hour, then cooked them for about an hour. I was working outside all day yesterday, and just checked the chicken temperatures ever now and then.

Wife loved it.

After she took the meat of the carcass, kept the carcasses to make chicken noodle soup today.

Thanks for the tips guys.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pellet grills are awesome... I have 2 Green Mountains now and use them every chance I get... the thermal blankets are well worth the money...

Public landowner...
IC B3

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Check out the Smokin’ It cookers. I have a stick burner off set, Traeger and most recently added the Smokin It #2. It is my favorite of the bunch. It’s a high quality unit with a very active web forum that is very helpful.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.