Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
You should be able to hit the most vital strand of hair with that rifle. That is top shelf by the way.

HR IC

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Just curious, how do you define "sub half MOA?"

Why do I get the feeling this is a loaded question? It's math and you're a smart guy, but maybe pics will help? (three different Weatherbys)
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It was an honest question, and the math is within my grasp, 3-shot groups. I don't know about being a "smart guy," but I can read a caliper.

Well, me too! is I still don't get your question...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Bob Hagel used to make .340 brass from Winchester-Western .375 H&H brass. The .340 Wby Norma brass was "soft" according to Bob.

I havent fooled with any new weatherby brass, but the 80's vintage stuff I have played with was pretty soft. Same story for newer 280 rem, 300 WSM and 300 Ultra Norma brass.

Today's Norma brass is much better that when Bob Hagel used it.

I did not know that Hornady made 300 & 338 RUM brass,learned something new today. smile

The Hornday Ultra brass is good stuff too. At least in 300 Ultra. Easily the best option in currently available 300 Ultra brass.
Actually I have had great luck with all the recent Hornady brass I have used.
As I mentioned I have used some of the newer Norma brass and it's still pretty soft. In addition it almost always has less capacity.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/07/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How does it shoot in field positions?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My one and only BC moose fell to a 35 Whelen throwing the 225 gr TSX at 2700 fps. One shot at 230 yards. It took the hit, stood for a short bit and fell over. Next year I am headed back (Stone Mountain Safaris) for a 16 day goat, moose and elk combo. I will be bringing a lightweight rebored 338-06 M700 throwing the 185 TSX at 2900 fps. I have zero worries. The latter combo have been fine on bull elk out to 300 yards. That said, I have taken three bull elk with the 338-06 and 210 gr Partition just fine with a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps and the closest being 75 yards away.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I still don't get your question...

Well, to my knowledge there's no universally-accepted definition of "half moa rifle" so I was asking how you define it. Because the odds of one guy buying a dozen of any brand of factory rifle and having every single one be a "sub-half moa rifle" are very slim, but also depend on how you define "half-moa rifle." Some guys use more exacting definitions than others.

But that's a fine-shooting rifle that's more accurate than you or I would ever need for the game you'll be hunting so it's a moot point and my question is strictly a personal interest kind of thing.

I've had a few Weatherby rifles and tthey all shot well. The one I have now shoots some three-shot groups like the ones you posted. But I'm not convinced it's a half moa rifle. Lots of times the fourth or fiifth shot will open up the group a little, like the one you posted that's 0.7 inches.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
My favorite feelin \fitting rifle is a 6 lug ulwt... Absolutely love em....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I still don't get your question...

Well, to my knowledge there's no universally-accepted definition of "half moa rifle" so I was asking how you define it. Because the odds of one guy buying a dozen of any brand of factory rifle and having every single one be a "sub-half moa rifle" are very slim, but also depend on how you define "half-moa rifle." Some guys use more exacting definitions than others.

But that's a fine-shooting rifle that's more accurate than you or I would ever need for the game you'll be hunting so it's a moot point and my question is strictly a personal interest kind of thing.

I've had a few Weatherby rifles and tthey all shot well. The one I have now shoots some three-shot groups like the ones you posted. But I'm not convinced it's a half moa rifle. Lots of times the fourth or fiifth shot will open up the group a little, like the one you posted that's 0.7 inches.

Got it. My definition is three shot group.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3 shot groups are fine measuring a hunting rifle for accuracy potential but tend to be nowhere near what is needed for target rifle accuracy. The difference between dime sized groups and just under MOA isn’t uncommon with 5 shot groups. From a practical hunting perspective that difference just doesn’t matter and since the first shot is almost always the difference those extra shots are pretty much unneeded. Having ultimate confidence in a rifle is a good thing when in the field.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never liked Weatherby chambers cut to freebore!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mathman
What's especially annoying to me is a short barreled 223 with a loudener on the end being operated two benches over by a guy shooting cheap ass ammo as fast as he can pull the trigger. I double up on hearing protection but the blast sends pressure waves through my sinuses, not the best thing for my concentration.

I hate this too. I wish I was handy enough to fabricate a brake where I can close ports to direct more gas to whichever side the other guy is on. Pin/weld it on a used up 300 Ultra with the barrel cut down so overall length is 16.1 inches. Mount a tasco 22 scope on it just so people can’t say I’m being malicious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm holding out for the Vanguard Deluxe in .270 Wthby Mag!!

Why it's not offered i don't understand....

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 12/08/19.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing but fond memories of my two decades with the 340. It’s been awhile since I kept up but ended tossing the 210-gr TTSX to take a bunch of elk. They never stopped one. No reason to not use it on moose either.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Not anymore and even if they did, what difference does it make as long as they shoot and function well?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Not anymore and even if they did, what difference does it make as long as they shoot and function well?

They sure do. Dont believe it? Go check the SAMMI website.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/09/19.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes they do have freebore, but not to the lengths they used to thanks to modern powders. I did not explain myself correctly. That said, same question; who cares if they are accurate?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes they do have freebore, but not to the lengths they used to thanks to modern powders. I did not explain myself correctly. That said, same question; who cares if they are accurate?

You shouldnt care if they are accurate. However, they have been a crap shoot for me.
My father was an absolute Weatherby nut and and one time had a collection of Mark V's that included every chambering save 224. Even he would tell you that didnt exhibit great accuracy consistently. These were Jap and Maine built guns FWIW.
I dont particularly care for Weatherby because I dont like the stocks, dont particularly care for belted cartridges in general and the weight. The new TI mountain rifle is appealing though.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, in my experience I can tell you I've owned more than most, every single one has been extremely accurate, especially the Japanese guns.My "go to" Weatherby is a Maine gun in 300 that has taken 17 head of African game and it's definitively a half MOA shooter (3 shots). I can appreciate your dislike of them. As I posted, definitively not for everybody and yes some are too heavy, especially the Accumark, although this Weathermark 340 was refreshingly light. As to the belt, it's a "transparent" issue to me, been loading and shooting them all my life and most of my favorite calibers, ALL have belts..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, in my experience I can tell you I've owned more than most, every single one has been extremely accurate, especially the Japanese guns.My "go to" Weatherby is a Maine gun in 300 that has taken 17 head of African game and it's definitively a half MOA shooter (3 shots). I can appreciate your dislike of them. As I posted, definitively not for everybody and yes some are too heavy, especially the Accumark, although this Weathermark 340 was refreshingly light. As to the belt, it's a "transparent" issue to me, been loading and shooting them all my life and most of my favorite calibers, ALL have belts..

Everyone has a preference. Nothing wrong with that.
As for the belt thing. I've reloaded for the 300 win mag, 338 rem mag, 7mm rem mag and 375 H&H for some time. The all work great. However I would rather have a modern beltless case. Given that I'm a 30 cal magnum aficionado the 300 ultra and 300 wsm will do anything a 300 weatherby or win mag will do.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.