Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Somebody would try it in a Prius........with studs!

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went through Donner Pass late winter sometime in the mid 80''s. Walls of snow on either side. You could tell they were working on the shoulders going the other direction by the plume of snow shooting above the top of the wall. That was in the old Ford Fiesta overloaded with enough stuff to set up an apartment for a four month audit. The only place that I remember where chains were required AND needed was around Flagstaff.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a set of these for my van but in 11 years since I bought it, I've never used them. They also fit my camp trailer so I carry them in there in case I get nasty roads during hunting season. I've never needed them there, either, so they're unused. I don't know how durable they are.
They can be pulled very tight to protect delicate stuff under the wheel wells. They're quite easy to put on once you've tried it a couple times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^^^^^^^^^^^^These^^^^^^^^^^^^

My first recommendation would have been snow/ice tires. But California is too warm to run them without burning them up. They might only last 10000 miles in that environment.

Like Rock Chuck said, buy those, practice putting them on so it's easier on the side of the road and you're all set.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 12/06/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Studded snow tires would be the best if its a winter long deal.

If not see if you have clearance for chains. Just get regular chains. Or if it is just to be legal or basically no chance that you'll really need them, then maybe the cables. I run studded snow tires on my 98 corolla just fine. Before I had them I put chains on a few times and they worked great. Bought a set at the walmart in Evanston and put them on in the parking lot. I-80 was closed the whole place was a mess. I barely got out of the hotel parking lot to get to walmart. Slapped the chains on and I could go anywhere. You can't go fast with them but they'll absolutely work. And there are times when they are needed even if there isn't enough snow that clearance is even an issue.

Studded snow tires are a game changer even on a stupid little car like my corolla. There is a little extra noise on dry roads at slow speeds, but once I get going I don't really notice it. On a slick road, traction-wise, I'd rather be driving my corolla with studded snow tires than an all wheel drive with regular tires.

Jim, I've been over most mtn passes in Wyoming with my corolla with the studded tires.

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/06/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many newer cars AND trucks say to not run chains on the front at all. There isn't enough clearance. Chain damage isn't in the warranty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barkoff:

In Colorado, when the mountain passes get dicey, the rules state "chains or adequate snow tires". I run Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires on my pickup. When I think it might be prudent, I carry real chains for all four tires, just in case. I only have to put them on when I have done something stupid and have to get my truck unstuck.

If you really want your Honda Accord to be able to perform in snow then buy two extra rims and two Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires and put them on the front drive wheels, under the weight of the engine, in the fall, OR before you think you may be driving in snow.

I think it's a joke to try to put real chaines on a small front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive SUV sedan like a Honda Accord. There's not enough clearance between the tire and the wheel well to put on real chains and anything else is worthless. I pull at least one such vehicle out of a snow bank every year.

I have a friend who has a real nice pickup. He tried those redneck chains with the heavy duty plastic electric wire ties holding lengths of chain onto the tires. They lasted just long enough for him to get around the corner from camp before they broke and came off, They might be good enough to get your car unstuck, but not good for anything else.

KC

P.S. I've never used studded snow tires. But, that may be another alternative.

Last edited by KC; 12/06/19.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Maybe stay home with your Honda? grin

Tire studs would be the best I think in that situation.

yes

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a set of these for my van but in 11 years since I bought it, I've never used them. They also fit my camp trailer so I carry them in there in case I get nasty roads during hunting season. I've never needed them there, either, so they're unused. I don't know how durable they are.
They can be pulled very tight to protect delicate stuff under the wheel wells. They're quite easy to put on once you've tried it a couple times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These are slick as goose crap.

I didn't believe in them at first, but someone here posted a review.

Walmart carries them. Self-tightening. Easy on.

Not heavy by any means but that makes them perfect for cars or occasional light use.

I will throw them on if I get into crap crossing Wyoming in the middle of the night and they haven't started plowing yet or if it is really icy.

I carry a set of heavy chains with cam tighteners for when stuff gets real.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If the roads are bad enough that those chains aren't good enough for a small car, it's time to find a Motel 6.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 4 Z cable chains in my 4Runner. Easy to put on and plenty of clearance for cars. I also have heavy chains, but I have not used them since I got the cable chains. Search YouTube.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey Bark,

Get yourself a great set of cables and make sure you have fairly new tires.

Most on here don't understand that CalTrans and Highway Patrol close down the major roads through the Sierra when regular cars like your with cable chains cant make it. That means the snow clearing equipment can't clear the roads fast enough.

Been driving the Sierra highways and roads since the early 80's in everything from Motorcycles to TractorTrailers.

I always drive in snow in a 4x4 with snowtires myself but always carry a set of chains mostly for off road in muddy and ice conditions.

You'll be fine staying on roads Cal Trans services during snow storms with chains.

I recommend these.

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chain-Company-SZ143-Passenger/dp/B000HZFDPU/?tag=car-bibles-20

Practice practice practice putting on and taking off before leaving home.

Take a nice mat or rug, Mechanix winter gloves, a good rain suit like those from Sterns. Carry a heavy long screw driver and large channel locks for adjustments.

Watch a bunch of youtube videos.

Enjoy the Snow, looks like its gonna be a good year in the Sierra for it.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh forgot go here for updates and also get the App for your phone.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for the replies. Studded tires are not a realistic option for driving in the snow once every ten years. Most of my runs to Tahoe are in the summer months.

As somebody mentioned, not a lot of clearance in the wheel-well, so after checking the different methods mentioned, looks like the cable chains would be the best option. HWY 50 to Tahoe, usually have to pull over in Placerville or Pollock Pines, then ride the chains the last fifty miles. If I did more snow driving I would invest in the studded tires or the ATs. Ten months out of the year are T-shirt weather where I live, the other two require a good sweatshirt, but hey, I have to put up with all the liberal BS for that mild weather..

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Studs are for ice. A downside to studs is dry road braking, they skate on dry roads.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when the roads get that bad stay home ,as a lineman i hated people out in these conditions when i am trying fix power lines and not get my big truck struck . i also hated putting on and taking off chains on these big trucks ! chains just suck

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ttt

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I live in Michigan, drive in the snow and ice all the time. Only things you need to drive in the snow are good tires, and be smart enough to drive for conditions.

That is hilarious!

Actually that made a lot of sense to me. I speak from the perspective of many New England (icy road) winters,

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The highest elevation in the state of Michigan is less than 2,000 feet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I live in Michigan, drive in the snow and ice all the time. Only things you need to drive in the snow are good tires, and be smart enough to drive for conditions.

That is hilarious!

Actually that made a lot of sense to me. I speak from the perspective of many New England (icy road) winters,

You don't drive out here where the plows don't make a pass every 15 minutes.

What Wabigoon said, studs are effective on ice, that's it. And can be a PITA if you drive across states. Quick Google: Thirty-three states and the District of Columbia set seasonal restrictions for metal-studded snow tire use. ... Ten states prohibit metal-studded snow tires:

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Does anyone make chains for 35x 12.50 tires? I can’t locate them

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,830
Posts18,477,961
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.