Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kid0917
these days a thief can steal your cc info by just walking by within a few feet of you, as in airport lobby. pocket-held scanners.... next comes the bank asking if you attempted to charge for video games in Taiwan? uhhh, no, not me.

The two most recent times were a small charge at a day care center and a fairly hefty charge for a car radar detector.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Debit or Credit cards?

Credit card, Visa. I'm actually not out a single penny, but for the BS associated in getting a new card, and trying like hell to remember everything that might be pending or recurring, just a bunch of admin horseshit, and I'll forget something, I'm sure...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had a recent card that HAD NEVER BEEN USED. I activated it and kept it in my safe.

Got a nasty-gram from the cc company said I was 3 months late on some charges.

On july 8th someone in Indianapolis filled up two gas tanks and made a $100 cash advance.

I was in Seattle that day. Again, that card was never used and was in my gun safe at the house.

Inside job with cc company all I could think of.

You didn't end up being liable for any of the charges were you? I have never been hacked (knock on wood) but have been scammed on internet purchases to which my bank took a claim and refunded all my money.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We count on being victimized by credit card fraud.
The auto payment of bills is done by one credit card with a high limit.
The credit card used in stores and online is another with a low limit.
When the low limit card is hacked, the auto pay does not need to be set up again.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I have a debit card for my checking..........but never use it......

Seems the gas pumps are some of the most scammed places

All the gas pumps around here have security tape on top of the gas pump control panel and I always check for the tape before I pump gas. If the tape is gone or looks like someone removed the tape and reapplied it I move to another pump. When I filled up last week the tape was missing from the pump I usually use so I moved to a different pump. While my truck was filling up I went inside and told the attendant that the security tape was missing on pump #13. When I went back outside a lady had pulled up to pump #13 and was about to start filling her car. I showed her that the security tape was missing and suggested that she move to another pump. She looked at me like I was crazy, quickly got in her car and left the station instead of moving to another pump.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we had 1 card replaced 3 times in one year, but it usually happens about once a year. Most of the time, the credit card company picks up the issue and calls before we even know it, like the charge for Domino's pizza in Paris. One time they replaced it because a merchant got compromised, and they replaced cards for everyone who dealt with the merchant.

We keep a second card that we rarely use, just because we need a card available when they shut down the account for the one we use while we await a new card.

We never use a debit card for anything that requires the card to leave our hands, and never for online or recurring purchases. We do have to be careful about gas pumps and bank (issuing bank only) ATMs. We have not had a problem with this card. (Knock on wood!)

Last edited by Cheyenne; 12/15/19. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The wife ( who has absolutely no business with a CC or debit card) informed me again this morning that her debit card was hacked again this weekend. This is is the 4th or 5th time in about 8 months. This new card would be a week old tomorrow. The last card was about a month old. So it’s back to the CU again tomorrow for a new debit card.

She will not listen to me. Yeah, they got her #.

I live in a world of surreal schidt.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
these days a thief can steal your cc info by just walking by within a few feet of you, as in airport lobby. pocket-held scanners.... next comes the bank asking if you attempted to charge for video games in Taiwan? uhhh, no, not me.

Use an RFID blocking wallet.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Couldn't count the times I've seen customers in restaurants and bars lay a credit/debit card on the table to pay their bill plus tip thinking nothing of letting waitstaff just walk away with it then bring it back later after scanning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happens to me a couple times a year. No big deal; I call and cancel card, they cancel charges and send me a new card. the convenience of being able to pay with a CC is worth the hassle.
To the bank, it's just a cost of doing business.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife had us signed up at one time for alerts on anything unusual on our accounts.. forgot who it was through, but she saw their was an active claim against me for failure to pay a bill. She looked into it, it was for les schwab tire company in Oregon. I opened a acct with them in 2008 and never used it, cause I moved to Alaska. Come to find out my degenerate step sister was using it, bought new tires, oil changes, alignment jobs.. my wife called less schwabs corporate office raising holy hell. Les schwab said disregard bill collection. So always beware of shifty or shady relatives.. But so far I been pretty lucky

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by NVhntr

To the bank, it's just a cost of doing business.

It doesn’t cost the bank anything because they’re passing the cost on to us. That’s why it’s infuriating that they won’t go after these scumbags, the consumer ultimately ends up paying for it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Had my numbers swiped at a local gas station. Card number was used to pay someone’s municipal court fines in my home state for just under $1000. Local police forwarded the info to bank security. I requested local PD conduct an investigation and file charges. They refused.

Yeah, police seem never to be involved. The credit card company just refunds you and doesn't seem to be interested in prosecuting.

Thats because consumers pay for it in interest and other credit card fees.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happened to me Saturday on my Visa. Four $1 charges at four gas stations. My bank texted me and called me to ask if those were valid purchases. I said no, but why only $1? They said that is how the crooks do it, by checking to see if they have access, then they fill as many gas tanks as possible, usually between $70 to $90 each purchase. Scumbags weren't even anywhere near my zip code.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 32 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,021
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.