Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Cleaned a 1957 Model 70 standard yesterday in 243(ser # 394xxx) with the metal butt plate. Ive seen many in FWT model. But have heard they are much rarer in standard. Anyone have any insight or opinions? Came with a very cool older K 10 mounted on it. TY

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think there were about 6,000 or so made. I have one. Its about the last rifle I'd let go of. Dark, stripey stock, full checkering, super condition. It does have the hard rubber butt plate instead of steel. I call it My Sexy Rifle because it is. Ha. Rowrrrr.

I bought it from a guy in Orlando, who was working at a Bass Pro there. Some guy who moved from PA wanted to sell it and BPS wouldn't give the guy what it was worth. My vendor followed him outside and bought it, turned around and put it on GunBroker. Lucky me. Shoots blue box Federal like premium handloads. I took a blued steel K6 in hinged mounts off it and replaced it with modern glass, a Nikon.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
You will look long to find one in original condition with the steel butt plate in standard 243. I have two later with the plastic butt, in the last twenty years or so of chasing, I have seen only 3 with the steel...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have one too. I picked mine up without a box but pretty much test fired only about 5 years ago. Absolutely love that rifle. Mine has the black plastic butt plate but man does it shoot nice. Recoil is pretty much non existent. Great rifle.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BLR358WIN: Indeed the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 "Standard Rifles" in caliber 243 Winchester are "rare" - only 6,812 made and only 4 (four) calibers are more rare in Standard Rifle cataloged production.
The pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweights in caliber 243 Winchester had a total production of 24,707 units!
I love pre-64's Model 70's in caliber 243 and own them in Target Model (2), Varmint Model (3), Featherweight Model (3) and Standard Rifle Model(2).
Both of my Standard pre-64's in 243 Winchester are late production guns - but are both in MINT condition.
By the way is the Rifle you referred to yours or for sale by someone else?
Yep - they rare!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ty for info VarmintGuy. It is not for sale at this time. I guess the guy that sold it was telling the truth about them being hard to come by, especially with the metal butt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have one. Serial dates it to 1957 (IIRC, at work now). The metal is in very nice condition. The stock however has some finish flaking off. Many years ago I wanted to have the stock refinished but didn’t follow through. I guess I became frozen in deciding who would do a quality job and by those who said leave it alone for originality.

Mine is interesting, at least to me, in that it has an aluminum butt plate. Through the years I’ve seen a few others at shows etc.... but only one had the aluminum aluminum butt plate. Always curious as to why. Maybe you guys can help with that question?

Although I haven’t shot it recently it has been shot and hunted by me. Wears an old Weaver K-10. Still a good scope. Accuracy is fantastic! Didn’t handload much for it as factory Remington and Winchester ammo that came with the deal shot so well.

Interesting thread. Thanks for the info. I’ll see about getting it out and take some pics to post here in a new thread. Would like to learn more about it and get some advise on refinish.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ring3: Is your pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 243 Winchester a Featherweight Model or a Standard Weight Model?
The Featherweight Model has the 22" barrel (with NO rear sight boss) and the Standard Weight Model has the 24" barrel (with rear sight boss).
There were just 2 (two) buttplates offered on pre-64 Model 70 Winchester "Standard Rifles" the metal buttplate (steel!) until 1959'ish and then the hard rubber (plastic?) type from 1959 on.
I do not think the Standard Rifles ever had "aluminum" buttplates - I'll go double check in my references.
I have several "Featherweight" pre-64 Model 70's with aluminum buttplates though.
Enjoy your 243 - and please let me know for sure which model you have!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the reply VG. Considered starting a new thread but think I’m not too far of topic.

Dug it out this evening. First time I’ve handled it in some time. Funny how I remember the condition better than when it’s in hand. Been around this rifle for 30+ years, owned it for 10+. It’s been used but never abused. Shot a lot of ground hogs and it’s share of deer. I got it from it’s original owner.

Barrel measures 24”. Butt plate is aluminum according to a magnet. Serial number is 4302xx (1958?). Not sure if the sling mounts are original? As you can see the finish is flaking off pretty bad. Wood is nice though, only a few light impressions. No gouges or anything deep. Would look great with a quality refinish. Blueing is worn typical from use, bottom metal and bolt handle.

Awhile back found its twin at a gun show in Wash. PA. It was in much better shape. Serial number was 396523. It also had an aluminum butt plate per magnet. Owner thought is was steel and was surprised when a magnet wouldn’t stick. It was priced way out of my league so it stayed with him. Don’t remember and didn’t note sling mounts.

Appreciate any info and comments. Thanks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have one in the "Varmit" Model. Heavy bull barrel, standard stock, and an old Unertl straight 10x scope. Shoots one hole groups with 75 gr Hdy HPs and max charge of H4350. Wonder how many Varmit models were manufactured?

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pancho1: There were 4,614 Varmint Model pre-64 Winchester Model 70's made in total - I own 4 of them and you own 1 so there's 4,609 more out there somewhere.
Point is they are a pretty "rare" Rifle.
The two Varmints in caliber 243 Winchester that I have shot (one was mine and one was a shooting/Varminting partners) both shot VERY well.

Ring3: Thank you very much for the clear photos of your Standard Model 70 in 243 Winchester with the aluminum butt plate!
I am at a loss to explain why it is thus?
But such was Winchester back then - when they on occasion did some things out of the ordinary.
Good for you on the "Groundhog Hunting" with that classic old Rifle!
Thanks again for the pictures/explanation/enlightenment!
Maybe Winchester was out of "steel buttplates" that day?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the replies. Some day I may start a thread to get more responses. I guess it might be like the Savage pros say, “never say never” with what is seen with their production. Interesting to me.

Side note. Saw another Sat at a local show. Excellent condition $1650. Had a steel butt plate. Didn’t note serial number or anything else. Dealer and I know each other and got in a conversation about a mutual friend health troubles.

Seems this area has a few std 243’s.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one with a plastic butt plate. Manufactured in 1961 the year I was born. Great shooter that I will pass on to my kids. One of my favorites.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.