Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
# Bring Back DDT

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
GB4

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Not near as hard on them as all the hawks and eagles are.

100 percent right.

The foxes and coyotes get too bad a rap for this.

Mostly rodents.

My experience is that owls are hell on pheasants as well.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If a coyote finds a clutch of young pheasants that can't fly yet, it'll get them all.

Bobcats too - read a while back fish&game somewhere[?] followed a collared bobcat that followed a mother turkey and poults unable to fly yet . Bobcat killed every baby turkey and the mother turkey too .

Dale there's some good stuff on youtube about 'nest predators' coyote fox bobcat coon skunk possum all meander around looking for nest to rob .
It takes an extensive amount of work to curtail them then others move in to fill the void .
That's why i shoot every one of them every chance i get .

Fact ..

Back in the 70's when i was kid - farmers shot every hawk they saw and we never ran out of hawks like the lefties stories go .

Riding a bicycle across Texas this past June I didn’t see a single hawk between Mason TX and Seminole, five turkey vultures total. Maybe 2 - 300 miles.

Saw a schidtload of lubber grasshoppers and rank roadkill tho.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
The experts say no. But almost any bird will eat another birds eggs.

It's just my observation that pheasant declined drastically in my area while turkeys are almost as populous as pheasant once were.

I have a video on my phone of a canada goose sitting in an eagles nest eating the eggs. The goose suddenly looks up while simultaneouly ducking as an eagle strikes it from above. This was captured from a full time monitored live net cam. The monitor killed the video feed at the moment the eagle hits the goose.

Other instances of the monitor killing the video feed occurred when the eagles brought kittens or puppies to the nest. No interruptions are deemed necessary when they bring up a carp.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw
The experts say no. But almost any bird will eat another birds eggs.

It's just my observation that pheasant declined drastically in my area while turkeys are almost as populous as pheasant once were.

Peafowl will eat chicken chicks, tame pelicans and cormorants will eat kittens. I imagine a hen pheasant might put up a stiff defense against a turkey tho.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
According to a study by pheasants forever,coyotes help pheasant population.

And there’s enough coyotes in the areas that have good pheasant populations to support this from what I’ve seen.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There are lots of hawks down here now. We always have a lot in the winter!

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

And there’s enough coyotes in the areas that have good pheasant populations to support this from what I’ve seen.

That’s interesting. I am a PF member, and have an e mail to them on this topic.

I have 640 acres of stellar pheasant habitat in west central Ks. In 2010 and 2011, we shot over 100 roosters off that land. In 2012, we hunted it one day, with dogs and never “saw” a pheasant. There was a terrible drought and heat wave that killed off almost all of the population.
Since 2012, the population has increased at a very slow rate. I can’t understand why there are not more birds. The property has lots of cover multiple food plots, and three water sources on the property.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ditto that on the owls! We loose a lot of the birds we release due to owls. Coyotes are definitely involved, but not like the owls! I coyote hunt where we release the birds, they could care less about a "rabbit" in distress, but use a pheasant call (yes, there's pheasant calls) and get ready! For the coyotes that is... not the owls. Though they come to it too!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Coyotes have been implicated in helping Lyme disease too, through fox control.....

https://www.outdoornews.com/2012/07/27/did-coyotes-trigger-the-ticks-lyme-scourge/

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
There are lots of hawks down here now. We always have a lot in the winter!

Indeed, but shooting them all as vermin is still widely practiced in sheep and goat country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt they take some. Pheasant chicks have the whole spring to fall period before they can fly that they are susceptible to ground and air attacks.

But there is probably no more successful predator on from song birds to young game birds to cottontails than feral cats. At least in some areas.

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=1&threadid=478769

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/08/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by akasparky
Couldn't be a more bias source on earth than Cornell when it comes to favoring birds.

https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/

I've resented them since they bought out the Thayer's Birds Of North America software and turned it into trash..

Try their subscriber site......

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/home

Lengthy articles on every facet of a given bird, complete with references, it’s a scholar-research-reference site. The data on pheasant nest losses came out of Iowa, adult-to-raptor losses the highest rate was Sweden with such predation major everywhere, especially in winter.

As for Thayers, I used their software for years to teach birds to people, but in recent years they’ve been superseded just about entirely by free stuff on the internet, like Cornell’s own allaboutbirds website....

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush#

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Varmint populations have exploded since Hollywood turned fashion completely away from the use of fur or animal hides. When a raccoon was worth $25 and fox and bobcat even more a ground nesting bird had a chance. Now you can hardly give a hide away and nobody traps. It is a mystery to me how a duck or any other ground nesting bird can survive much less reproduce.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by akasparky
Couldn't be a more bias source on earth than Cornell when it comes to favoring birds.

https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/

I've resented them since they bought out the Thayer's Birds Of North America software and turned it into trash..

Try their subscriber site......

https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/home

Lengthy articles on every facet of a given bird, complete with references, it’s a scholar-research-reference site. The data on pheasant nest losses came out of Iowa, adult-to-raptor losses the highest rate was Sweden with such predation major everywhere, especially in winter.

As for Thayers, I used their software for years to teach birds to people, but in recent years they’ve been superseded just about entirely by free stuff on the internet, like Cornell’s own allaboutbirds website....

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush#

If you always have a internet connection I suppose the web based programs will work for ya.
I spend a lot of my time in pretty remote regions so when I need the resource a connection is seldom available.

I have Thayer's BNA gold edition, it covers a lot and it's always with me.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't forget owls. Cover makes a big difference. On the up side if a nest gets destroyed pheasants will make a replacement nest - why you sometimes see juvenile birds hunting season.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
But there is probably no more successful predator on from song birds to young game birds to cottontails than feral cats. At least in some areas.[

'Morning George. That was the theory in SE SD since at least the 1930s. Dad said no cat not near a farmhouse was safe from Grampa. And pheasants were introduced in 1908.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As an anesthetist in a rural practice, I made untold 30-mile round trips to my primary hospital at all hours of the night over almost four decades. This was mostly by blacktop but in extremes of ice by gravel.

At some point in those years, I considered that my headlights picked up at least one hunting cat every five miles. That’d be six cats per trip while going 60 mph (sometimes a little faster). Those were the ones who were white or in the open in the ditch — that I’d see.

They are also the most frequent road kill here.

We have a neighborhood cat that is a pet of some fine people here. But it roams and is death to birds and cottontails on our yard let alone the whole area. It is a ten pounder and I’ve seen it carrying birds to young rabbits around. Imagine a 100 million of these, 70 million of which roam freely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And I agree with your grandpa. 😉

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Studies in canyons in San Diego seem to support that idea. Basically, in some canyons without coyotes the smaller predators, coons, housecats, possums and such, decimate ground nesting birds like quail. The habitat would be perfect for the birds without the heavy predation by the smaller predators. Granted, the studies are a few years old now, but it was my experience while living there that the further from civilization (as in the outer suburbs) the more 'yotes and the more quail one would see.

https://www.nature.com/articles/23028

Mammalian carnivores are particularly vulnerable to extinction in fragmented landscapes1, and their disappearance may lead to increased numbers of smaller carnivores that are principle predators of birds and other small vertebrates. Such ‘mesopredator release’2 has been implicated in the decline and extinction of prey species2,3,4,5,6.

https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1523-1739.1988.tb00337.x

The distribution of native, chaparral‐requiring bird species was determined for 37 isolated fragments of canyon habitat ranging in size from 0.4 to 104 hectares in coastal, urban San Diego County, California The area of chaparral habitat and canyon age (time since isolation of the habitat fragment) explains most of the variation in the number of chaparral‐requiring bird species. In addition, the distribution of native predators may influence species number. There is statistical evidence that coyotes control the populations of smaller predators such as foxes and domestic cats. The absence of coyotes may lead to higher levels of predation by a process of mesopredator release.

Don't know if that is changing there as I left that area permanently in '91. But I do know, from relatives and personal observation on visits, that coyotes have moved back into areas where there were none when I grew up. Like walking down the streets I used to deliver papers on at 0530 in the 70's. Never saw a 'yote there. Now they are taking cats and small dogs from yards, and likely the possom and coon populations are down too.

There was no shortage of coyotes where I lived in E. WA and there was what I would consider decent populations of pheasant in suitable areas. Quail, partridge (Huns), and chukar too. Just an anecdote, but the birds seemed to be doing fine with coyotes around.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,944
Posts18,480,168
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.