Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Nobody knows the date, it's all conjecture. What does it matter anyway? IMHO the dead of winter is a great time to celebrate an event
that in the tradition brings hope to all mankind.

Christmas brings hope to all mankind?

and details do matter to some of the more discerning Christians, but nothing like a Catholic that grovels to the frocks of the Vatican
to tell them what does and doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by nighthawk
.. What does it matter anyway?...

You are known as one on the CF to argue seemingly minute detail and differences of what scripture says in English vs Greek, vs Hebrew,
you will even argue against well established and accepted dictionary definitions.

you will also introduce Thomas Aquinas spin that you get lost in , ...but now more precise details about the actual Jesus don't matter.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The early Catholic church did a lot of fiddling with things in order to get acceptance. Their biggest fiddle was replacing locally worshipped pagan deities and their festivals with Christian saints and their feast days. One of the big events of the year was the Winter Solstice, so it just made sense to juxtapose the Nativity over this holiday. I can't really fault the church fathers for doing this. It made a lot of sense. The whole point was to take over the narrative -- get people thinking in Christian terms instead of pagan terms.

I sort of watched this in reverse when I was in contact with the local neo-pagan community. They were sort of inventing their own religion, and they had to address this very sort of thing. How do you take your belief system and map it over the existing culture? For instance, you've got children and Christmas and Easter to deal with; how do you remap your beliefs so that the kids don't see you as competing with Christians? How do you get your kids to see Samhein (Halloween) as the centerpiece of your year when everyone else is centered on Christmas and Easter.

Surprisingly, it was much easier to do all that than some of the Christian sects I visited that abhored Christmas celebration. Folks don't know this, but our early forebears like the Pilgrims tried to do away with Christmas. They saw it as popish and pagan. In modern times, some Christian churches tred to do the same. It ultimately leads to failure for the simple reason that the holidays match perfectly with the cultural tides. It's much easier to just get with the flow.

If you ask me, I think Christ was probably born in June or thereabouts. That's when the shepherds in that part of the world stay out all night with their flocks. They still do.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Christmas brings hope to all mankind?

The birth of Christ (do you know what that word "christ" means?) brings hope to all mankind. Are you contending that's not the Christian tradition? Really?

and details do matter to some of the more discerning Christians, but nothing like a Catholic that grovels to the frocks of the Vatican to tell them what does and doesn't matter.

Of what theological moment is it if Jesus was born on a Tuesday or a Thursday? And what makes you think I grovel to anybody?

You are known as one on the CF to argue seemingly minute detail and differences of what scripture says in English vs Greek, vs Hebrew

Correct interpretation of scripture is not of theological significance?

you will also introduce Thomas Aquinas spin that you get lost in ,

Yeah, logical dissertation in the classical manner by perhaps the most respected theologian of modern times is nonsensical spin. That is a full retreat by those who cannot overcome him intellectually, simply call him a fraud and dismiss him out of hand.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The three wise men=magi=astrologers.
Conceived in the month of the Virgin=Sept.
Born in the time of awakening=Spring=May=2nd Passover.
Died years later at the time of His birth=May=2nd Passover=Lambs blood..............which does not = Pig.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you took the CHRIST out of Christmas, then it would be a pagan holiday........and there are many people to day who wish to do just that.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
The early Catholic church did a lot of fiddling with things in order to get acceptance. Their biggest fiddle was replacing locally worshipped pagan deities and their festivals with Christian saints and their feast days. One of the big events of the year was the Winter Solstice, so it just made sense to juxtapose the Nativity over this holiday. I can't really fault the church fathers for doing this. It made a lot of sense. The whole point was to take over the narrative -- get people thinking in Christian terms instead of pagan terms.

I sort of watched this in reverse when I was in contact with the local neo-pagan community. They were sort of inventing their own religion, and they had to address this very sort of thing. How do you take your belief system and map it over the existing culture? For instance, you've got children and Christmas and Easter to deal with; how do you remap your beliefs so that the kids don't see you as competing with Christians? How do you get your kids to see Samhein (Halloween) as the centerpiece of your year when everyone else is centered on Christmas and Easter.

Surprisingly, it was much easier to do all that than some of the Christian sects I visited that abhored Christmas celebration. Folks don't know this, but our early forebears like the Pilgrims tried to do away with Christmas. They saw it as popish and pagan. In modern times, some Christian churches tred to do the same. It ultimately leads to failure for the simple reason that the holidays match perfectly with the cultural tides. It's much easier to just get with the flow.

If you ask me, I think Christ was probably born in June or thereabouts. That's when the shepherds in that part of the world stay out all night with their flocks. They still do.

Very well thought out way to approach the topic in the Christian sensitive environment here.

Nobody could take the 4th of July away from us today no matter what they were selling, but if they were to want add a 6th of July holiday .....well now your talkin', done deal, we'll take it and whatever you said it was suppose to be about...

[Linked Image from verobeachbookcenter.com]

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
NIsan is an Assyrian month that corresponds roughly to March-April. Jesus was not born then.

The early Christians did not celebrate Christmas,. They thought Easter was important, for obvious reasons. After 300 years, they decided to have a holiday celebrating Jesus's birth. But they did not know when that was, according to surviving records. They picked the winter solstice to compete with the Roman holiday of Saturnalia.

But Christmas is decidedly NOT a pagan holiday.

The contention that Jesus was actually born in September comes from the "shepherds abiding in the fields with their flocks." Right after the harvest, shepherds were allowed to enter the fields so that their sheep would glean any spilled kernals and manure the fields. They were not allowed in before the grain was harvested and afterward there would be no point. So they would have "abided" there in late September, as that's when the grain was harvested.

the shepherds would have been in the fields in the spring as well.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22
The three wise men=magi=astrologers.
Conceived in the month of the Virgin=Sept.
Born in the time of awakening=Spring=May=2nd Passover.
Died years later at the time of His birth=May=2nd Passover=Lambs blood..............which does not = Pig.

Winter Solstice was never called Christmas until Lucifer decided to mirror it, under the pretense, of course, of getting the "pagans" also known as "farmers" to celebrate a RELIGIOUS holiday. Dress Winter Solstice all up with Nativity Scenes, Shepherds, and Sheeple.....oops, I mean Sheep. Thrown a few trees, ornaments, music, and to keep the Zionists happy, some presents. There, now we've covered all the bases and everyone is happy.............or are they/He.
As I was taught many years ago, you can dress an Ape up in a tuxedo with all the trimmings, but it's still an APE!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Stay with the basics. [Linked Image from img0.etsystatic.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Let's stick to the point. He had to be born so He could die for our sins.

exactly. Dates are a moot point. Celebrate it now or then or whenever. I would hate to celebrate what I've come to love as cooler winter temps, and move it to September or April or such.

Regardless whether right or wrong its not a big deal.

Once again humans get involved and things get weird in a way.

Heck God may not even like us celebrating Jesus birth. I know I could care less about my birthday, but Mom makes a big damn deal about her day... its just another dang day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just because all farmers sow fields in the Spring DOES NOT make it a conspiracy.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from dailyverses.net]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

I agree, that is a great post, Shaman. But if I could pick ONE nit, I would replace "cultural tides" with something more along the lines of "existential tides". As I said above, it's not a conspiracy that farmers sow in the Spring. It's the cycle of nature, the cycle of our existence. Early Winter just happens to be a time of celebration in the Northern Hemisphere. The harvest is in, it's cold enough to kill the animals and enjoy fresh meat for longer than just the day it was killed, and, in an agrarian community, there isn't much work that needs to be done. It's a natural time of celebration. Contrast that with, say, April, when everything is greening up and nature is coming back to life. Then, your potatoes and winter squashes, etc are going bad, your sauerkraut is pretty rotten (if you still have any) and we are in what agrarian societies call "The Hungry Gap". Too early for the garden to be yielding.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Of the holidays borrowed from the pagans, I am troubled most with "easter". For a number of reasons.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The "traditions of men" are just that. Who proclaimed them to be Holy?

It's the "Truth" that makes you free, not some half truth/lie.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Of the holidays borrowed from the pagans, I am troubled most with "easter". For a number of reasons.

Can you tell us about that?

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's another pagan day Jim. It walks around the calendar.

Bunnies, and eggs are an old symbol of new life. "Easter" was the old pagan goddess, small "g'", of fertility .

I much preferer Resurrection Sunday.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone
[I agree, that is a great post, Shaman. But if I could pick ONE nit, I would replace "cultural tides" with something more along the lines of "existential tides". As I said above, it's not a conspiracy that farmers sow in the Spring. It's the cycle of nature, the cycle of our existence. Early Winter just happens to be a time of celebration in the Northern Hemisphere. The harvest is in, it's cold enough to kill the animals and enjoy fresh meat for longer than just the day it was killed, and, in an agrarian community, there isn't much work that needs to be done. It's a natural time of celebration. Contrast that with, say, April, when everything is greening up and nature is coming back to life. Then, your potatoes and winter squashes, etc are going bad, your sauerkraut is pretty rotten (if you still have any) and we are in what agrarian societies call "The Hungry Gap". Too early for the garden to be yielding.

I quite agree, and I appreciate your appreciation.

The Neo-Pagans were big on celebrating the solstices, equinoxes, and the cross-quarter days. These are the mid-points in the season. As it is, we pretty much have those, but they're hidden and obscured.

For instance, we've got Memorial Day instead of Beltane. We've got July 4th instead of Lughnasadh, and so on. The dates are a little off, but the cultural need remains the same. Everyone 45 days or so, folks need a few days off to party.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jesus adopted me from the pagans too. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well said Shaman and Tyrone.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,801
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.