Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
.. Christians can't use that symbol as the promise of salvation to be born again? Or symbols of renewal of life,
eggs, bunnies as a symbol of being born again, all because some pagan thought of it first?

why couldnt christians come up with something original that they could have truely call their own?

why copy the pagans?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
[Aquinas claimed he leviated,

I particularly like that bit of malformed logic, how do you know he couldn't? Just because you can't it must be impossible I guess. I can't hit a ball over the green monster at Fenway so it must be impossible.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What about the Cross?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Christians do call Christmas their own. The date is unimportant. What is important is our gift of Jesus, his birth, life, death, and resurrection.

His birth began our redemption process, and the whole Christmas season reminds me that Jesus is the focus of our salvation. Hallelujah!!

Jesus is the real joy of the Christmas season.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What about the Cross?

What do you mean?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A far as I know the Cross is a pure Christian symbol. Stick close, I'll get straightened our soon, maybe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
why couldnt christians come up with something original that they could have truely call their own?

Why should they? You got some obvious symbol of renewal that everybody understands, like an egg, why not run with it? I've never seen a pagan trademark granting exclusive use on any of this stuff.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why should they?

To distinctly differentiate Christianity from Paganism maybe?

but one can't realy expect much originality from sheep brain types.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aquinas claimed he leviated,

I particularly like that bit of malformed logic, how do you know he couldn't?

so you are utterly convinced Aquinas levitated, the lord spoke to him, and
two angels appeared to tell him - to stay away from prostitutes.?

and Balaam really did have a talking donkey?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I say I thought Aquinas levitated? Did you completely miss the mini-lesson in logic or are you intentionally deflecting by misstating what I said because you have no answer?

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC all of the christian holidays were placed on / moved to days that people were already celebrating other "holidays", to facilitate conversion and aid in people forgetting the old holidays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A far as I know the Cross is a pure Christian symbol. Stick close, I'll get straightened our soon, maybe.

original Greek N.T. scripture indicates it was simply a stake: σταυρός (stauros) that JC was affixed to
and Christians then fabricated the myth of a cross in many English translations, but not all...some actually
use the simple more authentic term 'stake'....some also use the authentic Greek NT term ' tree'. ξύλον (Xylon).

A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to The English and Greek New Testament (1877) states;

The σταυρός (stauros) was simply an upright pale or stake to which Romans nailed those who were thus said to be crucified, σταυρόω,
merely means to drive stakes. It never means two pieces of wood joining at any angle. Even the Latin word crux means a mere stake.
The initial letter Χ, (chi) of Χριστός, (Christ) was anciently used for His name, until it was displaced by the T, the initial letter of the pagan
god Tammuz, about the end of century IV.

Vines Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words states;

"STAUROS....denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake. On such malefactors were nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroo,
to fasten to a stake or pale, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two beamed cross."

Did Jesus really carry a whole cross to Calvary as often depicted?...well if you believe that without question,
then you should also believe he was white, fair haired and blue eyes...even Meghan Kelly from Fox confirmed to viewers Jesus was white,
what more do you need?

of course to some Christians, more precise details of when Jesus born, when he died and what he actually died on , etc - don't matter.
its quiet acceptable to fill in all the blanks with embelished tales of make believe.

critical question is where does the myth end and the truth begin in the whole story.

Originally Posted by cas6969
IIRC all of the christian holidays were placed on / moved to days that people were already celebrating other "holidays",
to facilitate conversion and aid in people forgetting the old holidays.

Bingo!, ..splice existing pagan festivities with christian beliefs to increase the flock. ...a form of strategem-subterfuge.

the Christian church is rife with things of pagan origin, [ie;] let them keep their pagan symbols, idolatry, iconolatry,
vestments, incense, bell-ringing, holly at Christmas, etc.

Christian monks with their tonsure was adopted from paganism... Celtic Druids had a transverse tonsure –
shaving the hair in front of a line drawn over the top of the head from ear to ear. Both Egyptians and Romans
shaved all the hair from the heads of slaves as a mark of subservience.

To proclaim themselves slaves of Christ, early monks began to shave their heads.

The favoured style of monastic tonsure forms a circular crown of thorns, markedly different from the Pagan's transverse style.
..the Roman Catholic Church abolished the practice only as late as 1972, but is still used by some orthodox followers.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cas6969
IIRC all of the christian holidays were placed on / moved to days that people were already celebrating other "holidays", to facilitate conversion and aid in people forgetting the old holidays.

Not Easter. Passover starts 15 Nissan in the Jewish calendar. Easter was the 1st Sunday after that. In 325AD, the council of Nicaea untied it from Passover and gave it it's own date of the 1st Sunday after the 1st full moon after the spring equinox. In some years it will fall during Passover but it can be a as much as a full month away.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you are trying to justify your unbelief, every little detail matters.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You said a lot there Tyrone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the Christian church is rife with things of pagan origin, [ie;] let them keep their pagan symbols, idolatry, iconolatry,
vestments, incense, bell-ringing, holly at Christmas, etc.
OMG!!!!!!!
You know what I noticed?

HUMANITY IS RIFE WITH COPYCATS!!!!!

OMG! Did you know that farmers practice a PAGAN RITUAL of sowing seeds in the Spring?!!! shocked

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WGAS.

I have family members that get my birthday and age wrong every year, I don't really care. I'm happy they just remembered at some point.

And don't worry unabashed Christian-haters, if you went to any heavily populated area and asked the first 20 people you crossed paths with what Christmas was about they would tell you, "presents!" NOT Jesus' birthday.

Buncha know-it-all, horseschitt. If you don't like it ignore it, along with everyone else that wants to celebrate Christmas - that'll really show em!

Last edited by 4winds; 12/10/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Why non believers go to such lengths to literally prove nothing, is beyond me. I believe mine, you believe yours. In the end its all our personal thing to deal with.

We can discuss things but the campfire usually ends up way OT of the threads OP.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

yet Christians have for two millennia tried to justify and bolster their beliefs by twisting ambiguous accounts,
and/or fabricating details they cannot confirm as historical fact.

to rational minds such attempts at highly subjective 'creativity' may amount to fraud.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Many devout Christians were once the least of the lost. John Newton, Amazing Grace, Stewart Hamblen, It is not secret what God can do, the Apostol Paul, many more.

Keep it simple, He died for our sins. Let us worship Him.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1234, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.