-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It will be earlier than the worst conditions, but expect a lot of ice. Studs should be on when you cross the border. It is very good compared to the old days.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
What are studs?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Metal inserts for tires to reduce slipping on ice...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
What are studs?

What my wife calls me.

If you have good tread depth on all terrain tires and don’t drive like a maniac, you should be ok.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
What are studs?

What my wife calls me.

If you have good tread depth on all terrain tires and don’t drive like a maniac, you should be ok.

I really like his wife's seeing-eye-dog...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My question was a little tongue-in-cheek as I thought studs were kind of outdated technology.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
More and more drivers are choosing Blizzaks or similar tires, but there are still a lot of studded tires sold every fall.

I have two sets of tires, studded and summer, for each vehicle.

When I lived in Fairbanks, there was very little ice “in the old days” and I thought studs were silly. On the KP I rely on studded tires in winter.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have to make the drive from Fbks to Homer as well. I'm hoping ice will be most done on Kodiak by May 1st. Might just buy some high-end snow tires. I am having a heck of a time finding any though. This truck has 15" wheels. Very slim pickings for 31-10.5-15s. I am trying to get some Dodge Ram take-offs that are 17" with a much better selection of tires available.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have to make the drive from Fbks to Homer as well. I'm hoping ice will be most done on Kodiak by May 1st. Might just buy some high-end snow tires. I am having a heck of a time finding any though. This truck has 15" wheels. Very slim pickings for 31-10.5-15s. I am trying to get some Dodge Ram take-offs that are 17" with a much better selection of tires available.

You certainly will not need studs on Kodiak, but the trip up will be easier with studs. IMO&E studs are the best and by a serious margin.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You certainly will not need studs on Kodiak, but the trip up will be easier with studs. IMO&E studs are the best and by a serious margin.

I never needed them I driving that hwy in October, November and December and didn't have studded tires.. when he gets up here he will have to buy tires less than month later to swamp out the studded tires.. I think studded tires are a waste of money..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

I never needed them I driving that hwy in October, November and December and didn't have studded tires.. when he gets up here he will have to buy tires less than month later to swamp out the studded tires.. I think studded tires are a waste of money..

Studs can be pulled pretty easily...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Studs can be pulled pretty easily...

That they can..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the worst month's to drive the Alcan?

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DryPowder

December and January by far

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saskfox

Thanks. I just drove it two weeks ago and wondered how much worse it got because it really wasn't that bad.

Last edited by DryPowder; 12/23/19.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I would add February as that is when I have experienced truly deep cold.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Thanks. I just drove it two weeks ago and wondered how much worse it got because it really wasn't that bad.

Some winters aren't that bad. Others can be no fun at all. Same as everywhere I suppose.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

I would add February as that is when I have experienced truly deep cold.

Temp lag says that should be coldest, but....

Then there is my friend Pierre hauling horses up the cassiar I November.

40 below was all the T-mometer could register and it was all of that. Left the truck to run, blanketed the horses, and had a buddy heater in the trailer.

Don’t think I’d have stopped.

Each month, each year is differenter. He’ll each week can be differenter.

I might prefer cold to dry, dusty, rough, behind a convoy of motorbikes!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 3dtestify, 44automag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,132
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.