-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some more pictures showing details of the windage adjustable mounts - loosen one side & tighten the other - there is no adjustment for elevation. I see no major advantage to these with a fully adjustable scope, just something else that might come loose - only the tightness of the screws keeps them in place. You also have windage by drifting the front dovetail, all of those use set screws to lock them in place - those that attach to the front tube with two screws have one locking screw and the ones that attach with a single screw use two for locking. The very large ring is completely different and is not marked in anyway, it might not be a real Stith. I needed some of the windage screws and was able to make them from standard screws by threading the shaft of long ones to the correct TPI & finishing the head to look similar to the original, they just don't have increment lines stamped into them.
[Linked Image]

Here are some of the non adjustable mounts, all are steel, the bronze color of the one is from poor bluing, it's still steel.
[Linked Image]

Here's a quick removable unit, possibly for a Win. Model 70 & similar, with the optional Stith peep sight. The ring on the rear of the tube has two set screws on the bottom to lock the scope in position so the unit stays set.
[Linked Image]

Gene
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Curious!! Why did Stith go out of business? Lack of sales, age of owner/developer, bought out by another business who then dropped the line? Thanks for posting more pictures and info GeneB---interesting info!

Last edited by Savage94C; 12/18/19.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Savage94C
Curious!! Why did Stith go out of business? Lack of sales, age of owner/developer, bought out by another business who then dropped the line? Thanks for posting more pictures and info GeneB---interesting info!

Manufacturers began routinely drilling and tapping guns for scope use at the factory in the early 1950’s.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very interesting thread, thanks for taking the time to do it GeneB. Went from knowing what they were to understanding how they work and why. Wish they weren't so expensive and hard to find now, they look so classic on a Savage 99. We all should thank Lightfoot for his modern version of it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Stith also made a 2 piece W&E adjustable top mount. Rear mount had built in W&E adj. "peep" sight. Very solid and QD. Shown here on 721 300 H&H with a BalVar 5 (2.5-5x). The rear mt on some used the factory receiver sight holes, others the holes on top of rear ring.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody got anything in a 1" they would part with? If so PM me.

Just acquired a very, very handsome 250-3000 Utica EG. Been looking for that gun a loooong time. I think it weighs 1/2 pound less than my post war 250-3000 EG

Had the Stith I need a while back and sold it. Damn it. Who knew?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 99guy

Just acquired a very, very handsome 250-3000 Utica EG. Been looking for that gun a loooong time. I think it weighs 1/2 pound less than my post war 250-3000 EG

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-stith-and-weaver-for-sale#Post14362068

That's a normal price for 1" with the scope. About the only way you'll find them cheaper is from a friend or picking them up locally from someone who doesn't know what they are. The 1" and 7/8" Stiths are generally more expensive than the 3/4" ones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by damnesia
Originally Posted by 99guy

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-stith-and-weaver-for-sale#Post14362068

That's a normal price for 1" with the scope. About the only way you'll find them cheaper is from a friend or picking them up locally from someone who doesn't know what they are. The 1" and 7/8" Stiths are generally more expensive than the 3/4" ones.

Looking for one with the large front objective.

I am keenly aware of the Stith's value.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by 3040HighWall
Stith also made a 2 piece W&E adjustable top mount. Rear mount had built in W&E adj. "peep" sight. Very solid and QD. Shown here on 721 300 H&H with a BalVar 5 (2.5-5x). The rear mt on some used the factory receiver sight holes, others the holes on top of rear ring.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s pretty, ‘state of the art’ back in the day.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Manufacturers began routinely drilling and tapping guns for scope use at the factory in the early 1950’s.

Makes sense, I never thought of that aspect, guess that what happens when ya don't make it to 3rd base grin

GeneB and Lightfoot--you should both combine your knowledge and write a article on Stith's. Thank you for all the information.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Lightfoot. Agree with S. WI Savage, ya should list it somehow. If ya can't appreciate your input. Will consider your mount if I decide to scope my 99R 300 Savage. Guess I came to the party late, not really sure what you mean by "The acquisition cost of the Leupold mount....:."---- Have an idea, but just guessing.

Mike uses the Leupold base as a key component of his no-drill base for the savage 99. As the price for the Leupold part goes up, so goes the price for the Lightfoot mount. Mike makes an excellent mount for a fraction of the cost of a Stith.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks - I meant to circle back on that. Sometimes the MBA speak creeps back in. grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.