Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems many are either forgetting or are ignorant of firearms history. For decades a slight pressure point at the fore end of the stock was SOP. I suspect it went away when glass bedding became popular and proven effective. However, on some rifles it still works to "bring one to its milk". Never heard it called a speed bump but that's kinda cute.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by John55
I’ve owned several Wby Mk Vs over the years and all were very good shooting rifles. My son owns one of the UL models in 270Win and it’s a great shooting rig. Handles several bullets in different weights and shoots amazingly small groups for such a light rig.
My old buddy Jorge is a Wby purist, he can’t stand a Wby cartridge in anything but their rifles, and can’t own a Wby rifle chambered to anything but one of their cartridges!

Spot on ! smile

Interesting,to say the least.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
man, i personally would't get a mark 5 in a creed. just get the vanguard s2. only way i'd get a mark 5 action is if i wanted a wby specific caliber. speaking of that man i wish wby would chamber the vanguard s2 in either 270 bee or 7mm bee.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by whitearrow
man, i personally would't get a mark 5 in a creed. just get the vanguard s2. only way i'd get a mark 5 action is if i wanted a wby specific caliber. speaking of that man i wish wby would chamber the vanguard s2 in either 270 bee or 7mm bee.
Big Ed
...............Agreed!.......If ya gonna get a MK5 rifle then get the Weatherby specific cartridge of your choice. Vanguards can go either way imo; Weatherby rounds and non Weatherby rounds.

I think Weatherby will continue to maintain the 270 Bee and 7mm Bee only within their Mk5 line for reasons of exclusivity. Imo, you should not make every Weatherby round available in the Vanguard line because sales of MK5s would more than likely decline somewhat.. It is a marketing balancing act.

As they should, Weatherby should keep the the MK5 and Vanguards somewhat distinct from each other where chamberings are concerned rather than overlap too much in their offerings.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
It would be nice to see the .224 Weatherby up thru to the 300 Weatherby in the Vangaurd lineup. The .340 and up remain in the Mark V lineup along with the smaller rounds.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
It would be nice to see the .224 Weatherby up thru to the 300 Weatherby in the Vangaurd lineup. The .340 and up remain in the Mark V lineup along with the smaller rounds.

i fell strongly the same way elk. just mainly cause i want a 7mm bee,or 270 bee if thats all i could get,in the vanguard action. even if they would do just a special run with the 7mm bee,or again the 270 bee,using the vanguard action. i mean they use the vanguard for the 300 bee and its hotter than either of what i'm asking about so obviously the action is strong enough.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I would love to see Weatherby bring back the .224 Wby. For some reason that cartridge just intrigues me and whether it's the Mark V or Vangaurd I don't care.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
It is fine to sand the speed bump off provided you free float and bed the action, otherwise you will wreck your guns accuracy. Make sure you are willing to do that before you move forward.

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Big Ed

Why not? Better stock, Triggertech, cerakote, better action, better safety, cheaper ammo, better ammo availability, similar performance at moderate hunting ranges... etc, etc...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Recently added a weathermark in 240. Scoped it but haven't shot it yet. Been busy with deer and bear season here, and holidays of course. It's keeping my others company until I can get it to the range. Mine shoot well without being messed with.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I have two Weatherby cartridges, 240 and 257, both build on Win 70 actions!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by OXN939
Big Ed

Why not? Better stock, Triggertech, cerakote, better action, better safety, cheaper ammo, better ammo availability, similar performance at moderate hunting ranges... etc, etc...
.............You make good points. However it would be difficult for most Bee fans imo, to acquire a Mk5 chambered in non Weatherby rounds. Especially in a less powerful round like the Creed when ya got the 257 and 270 Wby Mags as other choices...Also and I could be wrong; Wby fans asscociate the MK5 with the higher performing Weatherby rounds...I do!

Given all of the expenses and associated expenses in the hunting sport, the differences in ammo costs between say the 257 Wby and 270 Wby vs the Creed is minimal imo..

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[/quote].............You make good points. However it would be difficult for most Bee fans imo, to acquire a Mk5 chambered in non Weatherby rounds. Especially in a less powerful round like the Creed when ya got the 257 and 270 Wby Mags as other choices...Also and I could be wrong; Wby fans asscociate the MK5 with the higher performing Weatherby rounds...I do!

[/quote]

I hear ya indeed. Like I said before, I aspire one day to be a legitimate Weatherby owner with one in the correct caliber. Maybe if this one's a tack driver, it'll make up my mind to pursue that idea down the road. However, for the time being, I don't have access to reloading equipment and would rather get lots of trigger time becoming intuitively familiar with my rifle than be only a decent shot with an ultra high speed round for the same cost. The idea is a lower 48 hunting rig that can keep MOA systemic accuracy to 500 with adequate expansion from copper monolithic ammunition, and I think a Weathermark in 6.5 Creed seems to fit the bill.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Big Ed

oxn i'm not gonna argue with you bud and you spend all the money you want.but, as far as i know the mark 5 wbys still use a b&c medalist stock just like my vanguard and my vanguard has cerakote. i also don't think action strength should be brought up as the creed won't stress either action. like i said if i'm buying a mark 5 it'll be in a wby specific caliber that i can't get in a vanguard s2. i don't know this for a fact but i'd bet the mark 5 9 lug action has to be heavier than the opposing lug vanguard s2.
good luck and buy what you want bud,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would love to see Weatherby bring back the .224 Wby. For some reason that cartridge just intrigues me and whether it's the Mark V or Vangaurd I don't care.

I’ve had both the 224 and 22-250 in the little mark v actions. The 22-250 is as good if not better than the 224.
Given the cost brass at the time I preferred the 22- 250. Accuracy was about the same. The 224 was German and the 22-250 was Jap. But had a Shelin barrel.
The German rifle was gorgeous, the jap was just so so . It rode a lot of miles in my jeeps. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[/quote].............You make good points. However it would be difficult for most Bee fans imo, to acquire a Mk5 chambered in non Weatherby rounds. Especially in a less powerful round like the Creed when ya got the 257 and 270 Wby Mags as other choices...Also and I could be wrong; Wby fans asscociate the MK5 with the higher performing Weatherby rounds...I do!

I hear ya indeed. Like I said before, I aspire one day to be a legitimate Weatherby owner with one in the correct caliber. Maybe if this one's a tack driver, it'll make up my mind to pursue that idea down the road. However, for the time being, I don't have access to reloading equipment and would rather get lots of trigger time becoming intuitively familiar with my rifle than be only a decent shot with an ultra high speed round for the same cost. The idea is a lower 48 hunting rig that can keep MOA systemic accuracy to 500 with adequate expansion from copper monolithic ammunition, and I think a Weathermark in 6.5 Creed seems to fit the bill. [/quote].....................I understand ya........The Creed imo serves its purpose as being perhaps the most practical 6.5mm cartridge............Low recoil, lower ammo costs, hi bullet BCs for better downrange performance,,etc and etc......The Creed has everything any 6.5 mm aficionado would want.......

My problem with it, is commonality. Damn thing is too popular. Certainly not a good reason for not wanting to own one I suppose, But some like me prefer the less common, less practical and more exotic rounds. A 300 WSM is the most common cartridge I own followed up by the 375 Ruger....A 6.5/300 Bee is quite appealing though....LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
.............You make good points. However it would be difficult for most Bee fans imo, to acquire a Mk5 chambered in non Weatherby rounds. Especially in a less powerful round like the Creed when ya got the 257 and 270 Wby Mags as other choices...Also and I could be wrong; Wby fans asscociate the MK5 with the higher performing Weatherby rounds...I do!

I hear ya indeed. Like I said before, I aspire one day to be a legitimate Weatherby owner with one in the correct caliber. Maybe if this one's a tack driver, it'll make up my mind to pursue that idea down the road. However, for the time being, I don't have access to reloading equipment and would rather get lots of trigger time becoming intuitively familiar with my rifle than be only a decent shot with an ultra high speed round for the same cost. The idea is a lower 48 hunting rig that can keep MOA systemic accuracy to 500 with adequate expansion from copper monolithic ammunition, and I think a Weathermark in 6.5 Creed seems to fit the bill. [/quote].....................I understand ya........The Creed imo serves its purpose as being perhaps the most practical 6.5mm cartridge............Low recoil, lower ammo costs, hi bullet BCs for better downrange performance,,etc and etc......The Creed has everything any 6.5 mm aficionado would want.......

My problem with it, is commonality. Damn thing is too popular. Certainly not a good reason for not wanting to own one I suppose, But some like me prefer the less common, less practical and more exotic rounds. A 300 WSM is the most common cartridge I own followed up by the 375 Ruger....A 6.5/300 Bee is quite appealing though....LOL[/quote]

I was told by no less an authority then the counter guy at Sportsmans warehouse that the Creed is for target shooting only. If you want a serious hunting cartridge they start at 270 W and up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve had several, all shot well.

this.

Their custom Shop is building me a backcountry 240 bee with their new 7.5 twist barrel as we speak. 6 lug

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fotis: I really like my 240. As always very accurate and surprisingly LIGHT. Speaking of light, the new 340 Weathermark I just purchased is also well balanced and very light as compared to say, an Accumark.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely sir

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.