Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
or just get the tikka,caution i'm i big fan,and when you get it break it down and take barreled action outta the stock and eezox the heck outta it. never had rust issues with my tikkas,either blued or ss,since i do that. really never had an issue before but the eezox is supposed to bond with the metal which i believe it does as when you do eezox a blued gun and make a booboo and scratch it the metal won't accept cold blue that i've witnessed. a tikka t3x in 7mm rem mag would be a hard choice to beat for most things here in north america minus the big bears.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have owned or still own about 12 Mark V's and only one in a Weatherby caliber, a 240 WM. I like the 6 lug action and all have been excellent in the accuracy department. I understand the whole Mark V should be in a Weatherby cartridge but if you want a 6.5 creed, 270 win, 308, etc and like the Mark V, then buy it. It will not disaapoint

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As others have stated owning a MKV it would have to be in a Wby chamber, preferably 257 Wby or 270 Wby. Either would supply classic fun and amazement.

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Fotis
I will advise you when I get it. 30 more days

Please do update when you get it. I'd be interested to hear the report.

Originally Posted by Rossimp
As others have stated owning a MKV it would have to be in a Wby chamber, preferably 257 Wby or 270 Wby. Either would supply classic fun and amazement.

I'll pose the same questions as before. Why would it be such an abomination to get a MK V in a mainstream caliber, such as the 6.5 Creed I originally mentioned? Over the Vanguards, they have:

-Better action
-Better trigger
-Cerakoted finish
-Significantly lighter
-Made in USA
-22 v 24" barrel
-Flush magazine floor plate

So, is the heresy of my idea just because MK Vs "should be chambered in a proprietary Weatherby caliber?" Or am I missing something?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OXN939

I'll pose the same questions as before. Why would it be such an abomination to get a MK V in a mainstream caliber, such as the 6.5 Creed I originally mentioned? Over the Vanguards, they have:

-Better action

How is it better? I have a Six lug, the vanguard is smoother

-Better trigger

Look at the price, you can put a Timney on the Vanguard and save money

-Cerakoted finish

available on both models

-Significantly lighter

If it is a six lug then yes

-Made in USA

Because Howa makes a crap product , I'll bet Weatherby gets a whole lot more US made guns back then Jap guns Their HOWA made Mark V's were the finest they ever produced.

-22 v 24" barrel

Wrong they are both 24

Again they are both flush

So, is the heresy of my idea just because MK Vs "should be chambered in a proprietary Weatherby caliber?" Or am I missing something?

That's why manufacturers make different variations, to keep everyone happy. It's your money why do you need us to reassure you ?

IC B2

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

-Better action

-Better trigger

-Cerakoted finish

available on both models

-Significantly lighter

-Made in USA

Because Howa makes a crap product , I'll bet Weatherby gets a whole lot more US made guns back then Jap guns Their HOWA made Mark V's were the finest they ever produced.

-22 v 24" barrel

Wrong they are both 24

That's why manufacturers make different variations, to keep everyone happy. It's your money why do you need us to reassure you ?

I don't. I'm asking if there's any practical reason people keep saying "I'd only own one in a Weatherby caliber."

You are incorrect about the barrel length. For 6.5 Creed, which I originally started the thread about, the MK V Weatherguard has a 22" barrel. Feel free to check it at the following link.

You can, indeed, get a cerakoted Vanguard... which is called the backcountry, and has an MSRP over a thousand dollars. By the time I'm there, might as well just go with the MK V.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

-Better action

-Better trigger

-Cerakoted finish

available on both models

-Significantly lighter

-Made in USA

-22 v 24" barrel

Wrong they are both 24

I don't. I'm asking if there's any practical reason people keep saying "I'd only own one in a Weatherby caliber."

You are incorrect about the barrel length. For 6.5 Creed, which I originally started the thread about, the MK V Weatherguard has a 22" barrel. Feel free to check it at the following link.

You can, indeed, get a cerakoted Vanguard... which is called the backcountry, and has an MSRP over a thousand dollars. By the time I'm there, might as well just go with the MK V.

Yes I generally buy Weatherby Mark V's so I can shoot Weatherby Cartridges . So far 240,270,7mm,300 and 340 in CM and SS and no issues except one poorly made 6 lug a very long time ago..

Yes I was incorrect about the barrel length but the Vanguard has a # 2 contour vs # 1 contour on the weathermark . I bet the Vanguard outshoots it handily.

Vanguard also comes in 410 SS and is not CM coated like the weathermark. I would rather have the 410 SS any day of the week instead of overrated cerakote .

Again Buy what you want it's your money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[ would it be such an abomination to get a MK V in a mainstream caliber, such as the 6.5 Creed

Not only an abomination, but a flogging offense in that pocket T shirt of all calibers....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 2 mark 5 Weatherby rifles both have a fiber type stock,i glass bedded and floated both barrels on my rifles and both shot better.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

-Better action

-Better trigger

-Cerakoted finish

available on both models

-Significantly lighter

-Made in USA

-22 v 24" barrel

Wrong they are both 24

just personally,and i've never owned a mark 5 action, i don't see the need for the mark 5 in that they are significantly heavier that the vanguard action and i've had great luck with the vanguard line also personally. IF wby offered their cals in the vanguard line i'd buy them vs the mark 5 still. their big selling point is the mark 5's strength. well, 2 lug actions handle some mule stompers too. so i guess i just don't buy the whole strength thing. i do like wby cals and would go with one if needed vs a new fangled wizzzzm or whatever that says they can duplicate velos. its just a personal thang bud. if you want the mark 5 to say you have a mark 5 then gooooo with it man. what i'm saying is that you won't get any benefits either perceived or real from the mark 5 in the 6.5cm. you just don't need all that mass for such a mild caliber.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A 6.5 Creedmoor will come in the slimmer 6 lug MkV. Is that one much heavier than the Vanguard?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[ would it be such an abomination to get a MK V in a mainstream caliber, such as the 6.5 Creed

Not only an abomination, but a flogging offense in that pocket T shirt of all calibers....

What about a MkV with 24" #2 Brux chambered for 7RM in a McWoody Wby Express and Timney trigger?

Add a VX-6 2-12x42 in med LW Talley rings?

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jorgeI

What about a MkV with 24" #2 Brux chambered for 7RM in a McWoody Wby Express and Timney trigger?

Add a VX-6 2-12x42 in med LW Talley rings?

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And when the bolt knob bumps the trigger finger, shooting off the bench, fix it so it doesn't. And, you can't see the cut from a lateral shot with bolt closed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
A 6.5 Creedmoor will come in the slimmer 6 lug MkV. Is that one much heavier than the Vanguard?

I have a six lug accumark with a #3 barrel and it weighs less then a Vanguard 7lbs 3 oz without a scope.

My 9 lug accumark weighs 8 3/4 lbs without a scope.

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman

There appears to be some general confusion about this. The MK V I started this thread originally about is between 8 and 30 ounces lighter than the Vanguard series, depending on model. This is another reason I am considering it as a well rounded, lightweight mountain rifle... which, evidently, is one step below Mossberg creating a tactical lever action in terms of firearms heresy

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
On the lightweight 6 lug a 6.5 Creedmoor would make a nifty deer rifle, and I'd like it just to thumb my nose at the anti-Creed Luddites. grin

It would also make a nice little brother for my 80's vintage 9 lug Deluxe in 300 Wby. with the 26" heavier contour barrel.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve had several, all shot well.

this.

Their custom Shop is building me a backcountry 240 bee with their new 7.5 twist barrel as we speak. 6 lug

I have one in 6.5 bee rpm on order from their custom shop. Hope it’s a shooter!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve had several, all shot well.

this.

Their custom Shop is building me a backcountry 240 bee with their new 7.5 twist barrel as we speak. 6 lug

I have one in 6.5 bee rpm on order from their custom shop. Hope it’s a shooter!

It's gonna be interesting to see how the 6.5 RPM does in an already crowded 6.5 field. I'm thinking they need to follow the Hornady playbook regarding good brass at reasonable prices, etc. although that hasn't been their past practice. I think if they offered the RPM in the Vanguard, that would be a sales enhancing move.

Ya reckon ole Roy would roll over in his grave, with this new, non belted, non venturi, non double radiused round wearing the Wby headstamp...?

Hmmm....

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don`t think old Roy was impressed with any Vanguards either ? but old Roy would have liked the 6.5x300 Weatherby Mag. cartridge !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pete53
I don`t think old Roy was impressed with any Vanguards either ? but old Roy would have liked the 6.5x300 Weatherby Mag. cartridge !

For sure the 6.5-300. But, I think that round was already a wildcat while he was still alive. That was before the 6.5 craze, or he'd have probably rolled it out back then, IMO.

Roy would like the bottom line and I think he'd be respectful of the boys rising to the occasion, innovating, selling guns and ammo.

Roy was a businessman.

DF

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.