Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Razz, I have both Gaia and onX. Gaia is better except for the fact it doesn't have ownership boundaries. Ownership boundaries is a must, but I won't be getting rid of Gaia.

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have been looking at GAIA and it looks interesting.

Have you found the private boundaries and ownership to be accurate?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like ct’ answered my question while I was typing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SLM

I don't know about Gaia, but OnX has a disclaimer for private boundaries. They get their info from county and state maps. Some counties don't have accurate records online showing the latest owners or accurate boundaries. OnX is only as good as the info available and in some areas, that's not great.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Judman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Razz, I have both Gaia and onX. Gaia is better except for the fact it doesn't have ownership boundaries. Ownership boundaries is a must, but I won't be getting rid of Gaia.

Property boundaries is a big plus Bama!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OnX has been real accurate and up to date on ownership in NM.

Except for Catron county.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by SLM

I don't know about Gaia, but OnX has a disclaimer for private boundaries. They get their info from county and state maps. Some counties don't have accurate records online showing the latest owners or accurate boundaries. OnX is only as good as the info available and in some areas, that's not great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Razz
Going to commit the 24 Hr sin here and offer another suggestion...GAIA. Have used both it and onX for a while, really like onX but find I am using Gaia more and more. Lots of features and keep adding map new overlays that are easy to turn on and off. Not limited on number of states you buy into. Able to save waypoints, routes etc in your account and use in your handheld unit or computer. Share tracks, waypoints etc via text or email. I am on the local search and rescue team and Gaia has become our go to program. $40 a year for all the bells and whistles.

I've pondered this one too so no offense taken. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CT and others. Gaia does have private land boundaries in the premium package ($40 yr). I have nott seen it to differ when I compared with Onx while in the field.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Potential OnX problem but easy fix:

When I first got OnX this summer, I opened the desktop map and had a problem. The map wouldn't go to satellite and the topo was incomplete. Not everything showed. I messed with it for quite a while and finally called OnX support. They immediately knew the problem. They had me to to the layers, then Hunt, and then to Forest Visitors Map. It was turned on. They told me to to turn it off. The layer wasn't working right and hosed the whole map. Once it was turned off, all was well. I don't know if this is a problem for all states but it is for Idaho.
I don't see that layer on my phone, only on desktop.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Razz
CT and others. Gaia does have private land boundaries in the premium package ($40 yr). I have nott seen it to differ when I compared with Onx while in the field.

Cool. I'll have to check that out. I've had it loaded for years. Boundaries were not available when I first got it and haven't followed back up.

Does Gaia have hunting specific program boundaries such as block management/walk in areas?

Does it have the Desktop feature that allows you do all the scouting and marking waypoints on the desktop and sync it with the phone app? I'm actually doing this right now.

Both of these are a must for me also.

Thanks for the info.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like Gaia is worth a try, thanks for the info.

The local wardens I’ve spoke with are accepting boundaries/tracks per OnX vs posted signs/fences in most cases. Will have to ask about Gaia.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One thing I've noticed with OnX is that the tracks don't always exactly follow the trails I've hiked. They can be as much as 10 yds off from what I can see using the satellite photos. Normally 10 yds is no big deal. If I can't find my way within 10 yds I'd better stay home. However, if I had to use an inaccurate waypoint to mark a dead elk in heavy cover it might be a different story.

Using my Garmin Montana with a HuntX chip for geocaching, I've found it accurate within 3'. I haven't yet used my phone and the Garmin side by side to check for the the phone's GPS accuracy.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One thing I've noticed with OnX is that the tracks don't always exactly follow the trails I've hiked. They can be as much as 10 yds off from what I can see using the satellite photos. Normally 10 yds is no big deal. If I can't find my way within 10 yds I'd better stay home. However, if I had to use an inaccurate waypoint to mark a dead elk in heavy cover it might be a different story.

Using my Garmin Montana with a HuntX chip for geocaching, I've found it accurate within 3'. I haven't yet used my phone and the Garmin side by side to check for the the phone's GPS accuracy.

This is a guess, but that may just be differences in the mapping data...not necessarily an error on OnX's part.
The satellite photos may have been mapped using NAD 83 and the OnX maps may have been developed using WGS 84, or vice versa. Likewise your GPS/phone settings may be set to one or the other, where the map or overhead photos you're looking at was developed using different data.

It likely doesn't matter much as you mentioned, but I have had this issue finding small cadastral survey markers that have been overgrown with brush.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

This is a guess, but that may just be differences in the mapping data...not necessarily an error on OnX's part.
The satellite photos may have been mapped using NAD 83 and the OnX maps may have been developed using WGS 84, or vice versa. Likewise your GPS/phone settings may be set to one or the other, where the map or overhead photos you're looking at was developed using different data.

It likely doesn't matter much as you mentioned, but I have had this issue finding small cadastral survey markers that have been overgrown with brush.
10yards is well within the margin of error of most handheld GPS units as well. But, if it's consistently offset it might very well be a difference in datums.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer

10yards is well within the margin of error of most handheld GPS units as well. But, if it's consistently offset it might very well be a difference in datums.

True as well. Individual, mass sold units are not as accurate they are often touted to be. Throw cloud cover and other atmospherics or terrain into the mix, and a 10 yard margin of error is pretty common I'd think.

I've used very sensitive and high dollar equipment at work that is supposed to be sub-meter accurate, and had "inaccuracy" due to the datum issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

pointer- don't get me started, I don't have it in me anymore. grin

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 12/15/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very interesting thread.

Have been using onX for three years now, on a Garmin GPS since I still don't own a smartphone (though just "upgraded" to a 4g flip-phone, since my 10-year-old TracFone would expire on January 1).

Like onX a lot, since it fits into my semi-geezerhood style of hunting, finding pockets of public land that aren't too damn far up in the mountains--and which almost all other hunters avoid, for whatever reason. The yearly $30 update also shows Montana Block Management areas, which are becoming more numerous. In fact got all our big game on BM this year. The only anomalies we've noticed are where private property fencelines are often a few hundred yards where they're supposed to be--which have so far been due to optimistic landowners.

But am interested in gaia, and would like to hear more about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was clear and sunny this afternoon. I took a 3 mile hike along a canal bank. I turned on OnX before I left just to see how my tracks compared coming and going. Going, it followed the canal bank road very well. Coming back, following the same path, for a few hundred yards it showed me in the canal about 10 yds away.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What device was that on?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Motorola phone. I don't know if it's the gps in the phone or what. It's not serious but it's not quite right, either.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,964
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.