Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cool photo. No shortage of packing help there.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No family. Two policemen,printer,sanitation man(garbologist),union electrician,air traffic controller,and me union Boilermaker.This was late 1980's.

Last edited by sqweeler; 12/14/19.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by sqweeler
No family. Two policemen,printer,sanitation man(garbologist),union electrician,air traffic controller,and me union Boilermaker.This was late 1980's.

I'm a retired (3 yrs) electrician, local #3. Have a couple of buddies from #638. I wonder if I ever worked on any projects in Manhattan with you or your buddy. I used to ride the 4:06 out of Ronkonkoma every morning.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/14/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Worked in every Con-ed plant,built all the Co-Gen's and Garbage plant's on the Island.Retired also,Son is now in the business.Lived in Brentwood 35-40yrs.Worked with hundred's of 638 fitter's and every other trade.Couple of year's building Shoreham. eek

Last edited by sqweeler; 12/14/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Indian Lake,Hamilton County

Do You still go? Over toward Cedar River Flow, back in toward Kings Flow, or up in the Gooley club land?

That's all big woods up there, you can walk a loooong way looking for deer tracks

Last edited by JeffG; 12/14/19.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Where the Indian meet's the Hudson.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Curious as a cat about something. In the picture at the start of this thread most are wearing a wool red/black coat. There were some comments about that style/type of coat following. Raised and living in the Midwest, not to many hunters wear them, although you see someone wearing one once in a while. I've always admired them, especially growing up in the 60's viewing them in outdoor and hunting magazines and seeing vintage gun adverts of hunters wearing them. Quite a bit of the time the hunters were carrying Savage 99's and/or Remington 8/81's /Winchester 94's. A lot of the reason for my having two 99's and two 81's besides that fact they are good quality firearms.

Anyway my question is I've searched the web and see the red/black wool coats are available from several outlets; Woolrich, Filson, LL Bean, and Johnson Woolen. Just curious, which of these different brands are the best as far as quality, durability, and originality? Maybe they're all made in the same plant or several mills. I see also that there are several different patterns, some with more bold black horizonal and vertical stripes, some with smaller stripes in-between the larger ones. Some having a brighter red, others a more subdued red. Wonder what style of those are more original? I've also seen the wool coats that were green and black wool. Are these more popular in certain area's? I wouldn't mind having one of the red/black, but as some penned after moving to Midwest areas they put em away due to weed sticking problems. I can attest to that. Here in the Midwest where I live (Iowa) pounding the brush and timber is bad enough at times wearing non wool getting cockleburs, burdock, and stick tights on ya. Cockleburs are bad, but they are one big burr, not to bad to take off. Those daxxed burdock and stick tights are the scourge of nature. The burdock spears bury themselves in deep and those stick tights are like a miniature lobster with their two claws. If I'd get a wool coat it be probably worn non hunting or just hunt areas where I wouldn't get attacked. Just wondering! Like those coats!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't know anything about the current production for these clothes brands, but I continue to wear 60 year-old Woolrich and Johnson wool hunting pants every season, and a 60-year old pair of Maine duck boots still shed water.

Deer are color-blind but can pick out your hand moving up to wipe your nose at 70 yards, so large panels of contrasting light and dark, has always been very workable woods deer camouflage

Last edited by JeffG; 12/21/19.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Curious as a cat about something. In the picture at the start of this thread most are wearing a wool red/black coat. There were some comments about that style/type of coat following. Raised and living in the Midwest, not to many hunters wear them, although you see someone wearing one once in a while. I've always admired them, especially growing up in the 60's viewing them in outdoor and hunting magazines and seeing vintage gun adverts of hunters wearing them. Quite a bit of the time the hunters were carrying Savage 99's and/or Remington 8/81's /Winchester 94's. A lot of the reason for my having two 99's and two 81's besides that fact they are good quality firearms.

Anyway my question is I've searched the web and see the red/black wool coats are available from several outlets; Woolrich, Filson, LL Bean, and Johnson Woolen. Just curious, which of these different brands are the best as far as quality, durability, and originality? Maybe they're all made in the same plant or several mills. I see also that there are several different patterns, some with more bold black horizonal and vertical stripes, some with smaller stripes in-between the larger ones. Some having a brighter red, others a more subdued red. Wonder what style of those are more original? I've also seen the wool coats that were green and black wool. Are these more popular in certain area's? I wouldn't mind having one of the red/black, but as some penned after moving to Midwest areas they put em away due to weed sticking problems. I can attest to that. Here in the Midwest where I live (Iowa) pounding the brush and timber is bad enough at times wearing non wool getting cockleburs, burdock, and stick tights on ya. Cockleburs are bad, but they are one big burr, not to bad to take off. Those daxxed burdock and stick tights are the scourge of nature. The burdock spears bury themselves in deep and those stick tights are like a miniature lobster with their two claws. If I'd get a wool coat it be probably worn non hunting or just hunt areas where I wouldn't get attacked. Just wondering! Like those coats!

If you have more money than you know what to do with, go Filson. The lifetime warranty is good with no hassle, quality is outstanding and most if not all of their jackets are made in the US unless something had changed in the last year or two.

I have some Woolrich stuff too. I'm not very impressed with the newer products. But I have an old red and black, insulated wool upland hunting jacket that is my favorite bird coat by a long ways.

Last edited by damnesia; 12/21/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
All Filson & Woolrich in the club.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Can’t speak to the Filson, but the new production Woolrich can’t hold a candle to the older stuff. Whole outfits of the old stuff regularly show up at the flea markets for $50.00-$60.00. It can also be found on eBay.
When we hunted the Adirondacks some of the natives would wear the green Buffalo plaid. Have looked for some of the green for years, but nothing in my size. Should have bought some green Beagle Wear before they went out of business.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ted,

Don't know what you're willing to spend, but it is out there. I bought from this retailer before. They carry some good quality.

https://www.hnwilliams.com/Johnson-Wool-Checkered-Green-Plaid-Hunting-Coat.html

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was at the Woolrich factory outlet in Woolrich, PA last fall looking for a superkingsize wool blanket. Was told that would need to be sewed and sewing doesn't happen in PA anymore. Apparently the clothing line is made overseas somewhere. The blankets are still made in PA. though.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most Woolrich products are made in China now and can' compare to the old Made in the USA stuff. I still wear mine from 1965.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old Woolrich was the best. Haven't bought anything from them in 20 years so can't speak to the quality now.

35 years ago, my parents bought me a green and black plaid jacket that over time I just plain wore out. My mother sewed patches on the elbows for me (who does that anymore?) and still wore it until it just finally was nothing more than a collection of wool thread. I still have a pair of their wool Malone pants. I remember when I bought them probably 20 years ago I bought size 36" because they didn't have 32" or 34" and just cinched them up with a belt and suspenders

They must have shrunk a whole lot in the past 20 years cause now I can barely get them buttoned. blush

They are still up in my closet in a garment bag full of moth balls. Bust them out every once and a while when it is really cold and I don't have to bust through briars.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the info all. I had a red/blk Woolrich wool shirt some forty years ago, was a warm one on the bow stand. Time was wearing it out and not sure what did happen to it. I looked on eBay and there is an assortment of red/blk wool coats from various manufacturers, but most are a medium size, a few large with some issues. I normally wear a large 44/46 but figured with extra clothes on I'd need a XL. None on eBay. Might have to order new, pricey, but not a whole lot different than buying a quality leather coat.. Like the green and black also.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those prices crack me up

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I finally wore out my buffalo plaid heavy wool shirt and threw it away last week. From the looks of those prices I'll have to settle for a lighter shirt that I already have. Unfortunately, none of them are buffalo plaid. I was wearing this shirt when I killed the elk on Thursday. Not only does it have a hole in the elbow but it doesn't have the class of a buffalo plaid.
[Linked Image]

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like some good eat'n, David!

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.