Campfire Regular
R
A most excellent acquisition!

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Congrats Mart, a handy companion indeed in bear country.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. The .41 is my favorite revolver cartridge. Mine is a Blackhawk.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Did you notice the final selling price of the MG..
Just a little less than what you paid..average seems to be about $1200...

Good start on the loading process. I've never gauged my guns as they all shoot so well....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
After I saw the starting price I quit watching it for fear it would go for that and I'd be despondent over paying too much. Not really. I have been watching Mountain Gun prices and while I didn't get a steal on mine I didn't get hurt at today's prices.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I like that Mountain gun. Lots of flexibility for a roaming gun but I would have to change the grips to fit my hand.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have it’s twin and really like it. I have only shot 210 XTPs in mine over 296 but need to break out my RCBS mold and give it a go. An XTP broke a shoulder on a good whitetail buck for me and angled out behind the offside stopping in the hide. I was pretty pleased with the performance but no doubt a heavy cast would have dug deeper.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only revolver I really want is a Mountain gun in .45 Colt. I have one in .44 Mag, but don’t really care for it..

Sam......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The 41 mag is the perfect cartridge for that platform

CONGRATULATIONS!πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸΎ

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mart,

I've recently replaced my 410429 moulds for the NOE 235 Keith.

Been happy with it and a considerable difference in profile.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
That's exactly the mold I'm going to get for mine. I have the Arsenal copy of the 410459 and it has an even smaller meplat than the original Lyman version. I'll get NOE's hollow point option on mine when I order it. Makes a good bullet a little more versatile.

I did cast up about 20 pounds of some LBT WLN 280 grain and 10 pounds of LBT 265 grain WLNGC. It's interesting that I bought the molds 20+ years apart. In fact the 2 cavity 280 WLNGC mold was the first mold I ever bought from LBT. When I bought my Bisley 41 magnum I opted to get the same mold but without a gas check and a four cavity. When I got the mold the new version of the WLN is far closer to a WFN than a WLN and it has a front driving band whereas the original does not. I prefer the profile of the earlier mold, although I am not dissatisfied with the newer version. I haven't shot the new version in either 41 yet. At the same time I ordered the newer 41 mold I ordered molds in several calibers, all WLN profiles, but they all have the shorter nose and front driving band. The only thing I can think is Veral changed his designs somewhat. I know when I ordered I specified the same length nose as the first mold. I'm not too worried about the differing profile. I'm sure it will work for what I want. It also took so long to get the molds from him I can't imagine what the wait would have been if I had sent them back.

It's also interesting that while both are marked 280 grain, the 2 cavity cast a 265 from the same alloy. The four cavity drops a 282 grain with 50/50 range scrap/linotype.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mart,

The one on he left definitely is not a WLN, its a WFN. Looks like he cut the wrong profile. When you specify the nose length, its to seat as far out as possible with the WLN design, yet still function. Ruger single action cylinders in magnum cartridges are at .35. The bullet on the right obviously is designed to do that while the one on the left isn't.
I've got moulds in both profiles and no WLN I have looks like the bullet on the left.

The weight discrepancy might be due to your alloy specification. One cut for Lino is going to weigh more with wheelweight alloy thn it does for lino; I'm sure you're up on that.

Its also strange he's cutting a driving band like a bore ride design, or what the mass production moulds are cut like to make fitting multiple guns easier.

It looks like a mistake, but if your happy, that's all that matters.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Nice guns...one of the best balanced .41s S&W ever made...

Once upon a time I had a pair...IdahoShooter now has one of them...he seems to like it also...

Bob

i actually have one, courtesy of you, found in a local pawn shop.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
...in case anyone is looking for an early Christmas present for themselves...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847648835

that final bid was just a tad higher than my pawn shop buy you turned me on too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the enabler, as i like to call him, as always been spot on when i look at these current prices, vs. ones he pointed out to me some years ago.
talking almost doubles in prices.
I have cast from light to heavy bullets in 41, everybody i think has their own ideas, but for me the 230 to 250range bullet at about 1000fps covers just about every possible usage.
the other addition is doing the .41special, which opens up a little different ballgame.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
From what I have read, Elmer disapproved of the Lyman version of his bullet because the front driving band was too narrow. He did however say that it was very accurate. I believe Lyman did this because they realized that Keith's design was too wide and would often jam up against the lead into the cylinder throats. I have some "real" Keith bullets that have three driving bands of the same width and they will not go into some of my .41s unless sized to .409...

There are also two "real" Keith bullets...the early design from the 1960s with the small meplat that weights 220+- grains and the later version that was designed near the end of his life that weighs 10-15 grain more and has the wider nose like the one from NOE pictured above.

The mold I have is from MP and is of the original 220 grain design.. Very accurate and expands well when made as a HP... Also have a Group Buy Lee that has the same smaller nose design but weighs 250 grain... Have been using that bullet in the .41 Special case with 8.0 grains of Unique for little over 1000 fps... When out in Idaho I shot that round out to 400 yards with great accuracy...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny... I have 2 Lyman, 1 RCBS, and 1 Saeco Keith molds, and I have had zero problems with any of them.

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
Mart,

The one on he left definitely is not a WLN, its a WFN. Looks like he cut the wrong profile. When you specify the nose length, its to seat as far out as possible with the WLN design, yet still function. Ruger single action cylinders in magnum cartridges are at .35. The bullet on the right obviously is designed to do that while the one on the left isn't.
I've got moulds in both profiles and no WLN I have looks like the bullet on the left.

The weight discrepancy might be due to your alloy specification. One cut for Lino is going to weigh more with wheelweight alloy thn it does for lino; I'm sure you're up on that.

Its also strange he's cutting a driving band like a bore ride design, or what the mass production moulds are cut like to make fitting multiple guns easier.

It looks like a mistake, but if your happy, that's all that matters.

Hawk,

I agree it's a WFN profile. They were both cut for WW/2% tin alloy which is what puzzles me about the weight difference. Its not a big issue. The WLN 2 cavity at 265 grains from the 50/50 alloy will do fine for my purposes.

I wouldn't say I was entirely happy with the molds but they cast well and they are LBT molds and of great quality. I don't know what was going on with Veral at the time he made all those molds for me but they sure didn't come out as expected. I was looking for WLN's and specified such as well as nose lengths on my orders. It ended up taking over a year to get my molds from him and communication was nonexistent. I know he had lost his wife and cut him a lot of slack because of that. In the end I opted just to go with the molds as they came from him because I knew returning them would turn into a drawn out affair. I stressed enough over the orders and the lack of communication while he was building them. I opted to forego the stress of trying to return the molds.

I don't know if he is still making molds and I most likely would not order from him again. His molds are superb but so are molds from NOE, Mihec, Accurate Molds and Mountain Molds and they get them out right away. My last mold from Mountain Molds was less than a week. With the exception of the 410459 from Arsenal, I have been very pleased with the several I have from them. I cannot fault the 410459 for quality and it casts beautifully. I just don't like their rendition of the bullet.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You can get a stainless lanyard ring that screws right into the bottom of that Hogue grip. Looks cool. Got it on mine.

Where can one find a lanyard ring as you described?

Hogue does not have them listed in their catalog nor on their website. I emailed them and they did verify having them and suggested that I call them to order, 800-438-4747. I did so and ordered two for $8.00 and some change total including shipping ($2.50/ea.). Going out in today's mail. They said no modifications needed if using with the Hogue grips that I have on my M-69 and M-19.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,683
Posts18,513,474
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.