On her birthday.
Gave her the speech and the gift.
Of course she said yes....who wouldn’t.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Otter
Never really asked her to "marry me". I was a bit more unconventional . . . I asked her if she would "darn my socks" for a long time. 44 years ago Dec 17th, 1975 this was, after dating for 3 weeks. Married less than 7 months later. We are still going.

We dated for 2 years, just seemed to happen. Dec 20, 1975.

"The Warden"s maternal grandpa asked her grandma - "Wanna come cook for me?" smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You wanna keep doing my dishes forever?

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My parents were getting assigned to a US Embassy in East Africa

I was 18, about to be homeless when Dad did the Colonel Kurtz thing with the house, the cars, the horses, the boat, the dogs.

Lived in my girlfriend's bedroom for a couple weeks. 😄

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How many months!!!!

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In a Jaguar E Type, right before she dropped me off to go brief for a flight in Pensacola where I was in flight training. Still with me 38 years this December 18.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I told my wife that there was no question WHETHER we’d get married, but only of WHEN.

We’d known one another 7 months & 2 days on our wedding day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
My parents were getting assigned to a US Embassy in East Africa

I was 18, about to be homeless when Dad did the Colonel Kurtz thing with the house, the cars, the horses, the boat, the dogs.

Lived in my girlfriend's bedroom for a couple weeks. 😄

that story deserves more than 2 sentences - the Kurtz part, not the marriage

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wrote a poem after we were married that sums it up.

We loved each other very much
And as the time went by
We were married one bright June day
And had the kid in July

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had just finished my second year at the local community college, which was a branch of the University of Kentucky. A recruiter came by and was interviewing students to come to a college in Eastern Kentucky which had a very good that had to do with the reclamation of the strip mines for coal. He said the coal companies were paying big bucks for those students to come and work for them. My wife and I were dating, and she said that if I went, I wasn't going without here.............I said, "I guess you're asking me to marry you."

That was almost 50 years ago, and I still tell everybody that she asked me, not me asking her. To be honest about it, I guess we were so much in love with each other, that both of us just assumed we were going to marry.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I really don't remember. It's been 35 years but the chill factor makes it feel like 48.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I didn't propose, she did.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had her legs pinned back on her chest deep stroking it and put a ring on her toe

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by montanabadger
I didn't propose, she did.

This^

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was working seasonally for the forest service and trapping in the winter. We had a late winter and ended up working later in the fall than planned. I still needed to get my traps out as I was long lining for coyotes and covering a lot of ranches every year. Missing the early part of the season was missing a lot of income for me so I was checking traps and skinning at night and working the days and getting very little sleep. I took Etta with me one night to check traps and ended up catching a pile of coyotes that night. I hung the first one up and was about to start skinning when she came out to the fur shed and said, "if you'll show me how, I help you skin." I figured I'd never get a better offer than that and proposed on the spot. We were married in February between the end of bobcat season and the beginning of spring beaver and muskrat season. Romantic cuss ain't I.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dragged my feet a bit.... got her to move across the state with me and leave her good job, later bought a house together.

I then got her dad to smuggle her two great grandmas diamond engagement ring that had been out together on one ring and was supposed to go to her mom but grandma didn’t like her. He came up with some kind of lie to get it out her. Like it needed to be cleaned or something.

Anyway, I kept dragging my feet and we were headed for a flight to see my family for Christmas. She took the dogs to the kennel, so I dangled the ring on fishing line from the bannister where she would have to run into it, then hid around the corner and waited for the gasp when she came back home.

Later updated the ring and band with the same two diamonds

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Mistakenly.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had been dating her about a year and a half and took her from here (North Texas) to Michigan City, Indiana for Christmas, mainly to see her Grandma. I got a pretty warm reception and at a party one night one of her uncles asked me if I intended to make an honest woman of her. I told him I was seriously considering it. Later that night on the way back to Grandma's where we were staying, I pulled off the road and asked her if she'd like to be my wife. Felt pretty weird to do that, but I did it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.