Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I understand that Cooper uses barrels from Wilson (or did), and Wilson is not spoken of highly on this forum. Anyway, every Cooper I have owned (3) has been very accurate. Others seem to have similar results with Cooper and that accuracy could be due to many things but the barrel must be a large part of their success.

Last edited by VaHunter; 12/16/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I understand that Cooper uses barrels from Wilson (or did), and Wilson is not spoken of highly on this forum. Anyway, every Cooper I have owned (3) has been very accurate. Others seem to have similar results with Cooper and that accuracy could be due to many things but the barrel must be a large part of their success.

Yes they do use Wilson barrels for good reason, they are owned by Wilson (since 2010 IRC). Ole Dan Cooper couldn’t give them things away after it was found out he supported BamBam.

Last edited by Swifty52; 12/16/19.

Swifty
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Yes they do use Wilson barrels for good reason, they are owned by Wilson (since 2010 IRC). Ole Dan Cooper couldn’t give them things away after it was found out he supported BamBam.

Old Dan Cooper has not been with Cooper for years. I think I will keep my coopers.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
tikka

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Vahunter,

Wilson, like some other barrel manufacturers, has produced different grades of barrels. Those used in Cooper rifles are indeed very good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Old Dan Cooper has not been with Cooper for years. I think I will keep my coopers.

Yep since 2008
On October 27, 2008 a USA Today article featuring executives supporting Barack Obama for president was published naming Dan Cooper as a financial supporter of the campaign.[11] Scandal soon erupted across gun-related web forums and blogs when it was made public that Dan Cooper supported a pro-gun control Presidential candidate and had donated several thousand dollars to his campaign. Gun owners and blogs reacted to the news calling for a boycott of his company.[1]
By October 28, 2008 Cooper Firearms released a message on their website, noting that the company itself had not contributed in any fashion, and clarifying Cooper's contributions.[12]
On October 29, 2008 Cooper Firearms updated the message on their website indicating the board of directors asked Dan Cooper to step down as CEO of the company.[13] In an October 30, 2008 article from USA Today Dan Cooper confirmed that he did indeed resign as CEO.[1]

Swifty
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V

Yep since 2008
On October 27, 2008 a USA Today article featuring executives supporting Barack Obama for president was published naming Dan Cooper as a financial supporter of the campaign.[11] Scandal soon erupted across gun-related web forums and blogs when it was made public that Dan Cooper supported a pro-gun control Presidential candidate and had donated several thousand dollars to his campaign. Gun owners and blogs reacted to the news calling for a boycott of his company.[1]
By October 28, 2008 Cooper Firearms released a message on their website, noting that the company itself had not contributed in any fashion, and clarifying Cooper's contributions.[12]
On October 29, 2008 Cooper Firearms updated the message on their website indicating the board of directors asked Dan Cooper to step down as CEO of the company.[13] In an October 30, 2008 article from USA Today Dan Cooper confirmed that he did indeed resign as CEO.[1]

Yep, but the hate continues for some reason.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Vahunter,

Wilson, like some other barrel manufacturers, has produced different grades of barrels. Those used in Cooper rifles are indeed very good.

Ruger used the Wilson barrels before they made their own and I think during a period when Wilson had a number of military contracts, possibly too many, that Rugers got a reputation for hit or miss accuracy. Since then Wilson has re-tooled to CNC machinery and is capable of making very fine barrels. Not sure when this took place, possibly late 1990s? Sometime in this same time frame Ruger started producing their own barrels too.

Lothar Walthars are very good and between them and SAKO account for a number of European factory suppliers. They are also a harder barrel like the SAKO.

Weatherby barrels are nothing to be ashamed of, they have had multiple producers but seem to maintain quality, They have been made in California, Germany, Japan, Maine by SACO and now ETEK in Minnesota. Probably others I left off, maybe a Weatherby historian will fill in the gaps?.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/16/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wilson may not be a popular candidate for a full custom build but I expect it's easily on the upper end of what's used on most factory rifles

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, but the hate continues for some reason.

I didn’t say anything about hate, fact is when everybody went full retard on Cooper and they couldn’t give them away, I bought 1 in 08 and another in late 09 at a very deep discount. The one in 09 was a Montana Varminter with AAA wood and 12 twist 223, which was odd for Cooper. 1295 bucks OTD for a brand new rifle with a 1795 price tag on it.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One of the most accurate in my stable is a Gustaf 6.5 Swede sporting a chopped to 24 inch 1906 military tube. It consistently does clover leafs, but I have no idea as to exactly who did their barrels 113 years ago. It was purchased as a truck gun, but lives in the safe now.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/16/19.

1Minute
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Quak
Best factory barrels regardless of cost in order (at least imho after looking through my borescopes) 1) CZ 2) Seiko/Tikka 3)Steyr

Nothing else comes close until you get to semi custom guns like NULA etc.

Savage barrels are extremely rough in my experience. So were USRAC model 70s.

Quak,

I believe Seiko makes watches, not rifles.

MD...you should see their barrels! Even nicer than their watches.. The Japanese really know how to make em!

Auto correct will make a fool of you every time...good catch JB

Do you know if CZ makes their own barrels or are the sourced from another manufacturer. I know they are hand lapped which no doubt contributes to their quality level and reputation

Last edited by Quak; 12/16/19.

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
But James Bond uses Omega watches. Since he works for the govt, he would only have the best. Here's James now, demonstrating the awesome power and accuracy of the Omega. The living end of watches!

[Linked Image from timeentertainment.files.wordpress.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tikka even though I only have one, a CTR it lives up to their reputation.

And as mentioned Ruger. Been quite happy with their rifles the last 8 years or so. even with the cheap RAR, whatever they’re doing they seem to be dialed in.

Another one that didn’t have the best reputation but seems to be doing a lot better is Christensen Arms carbon barrels. I know they use turned down shilen select for the “liner”. In the last few months myself and friends that maintain a shooting range together have bought a total of 6 CA ridgelines , only mine required a bedding tweak to settle it down. Small sample but pleasantly surprised.. we are pleasantly surprised because we’ve owned CA’s a decade ago that were dumpster fires.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Socko/Tikka

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the things I've learned over the 15+ years I've owned and used a Gradient Lens Hawkeye borescope is that looking at the smoothness of the bore has relatively little correlation to the barrel's potential accuracy. Yes, a lapped bore is nice, but does NOT guarantee a bore of consistent diameter, which in my experience is far more important than smooth.

This is exactly why Sako/Seiko/Socko/Tikka barrels of heavier contours are lapped--NOT because of smoothness, but because the lapping results in more consistent dimensions.

Even more important than lapping is proper heat-treating, which when done right basically eliminates the stresses in the barrel introduced by the barrel-making process. This gets more complicated than mere lapping, but am not about to explain why here, because a month ago wrote a 2500 word article on the subject that will appear in another month or so. For now, let's just say that a properly heat-treated but unlapped barrel can easily outshoot a lapped but improperly heat-treated barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sako 85 or krieger

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
You mean seiko

GOD Bless America
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Interesting thing. I was playing with my bore scope last week and decided to look at most of my existing rifles. I found only TWO barrels that did NOT have any tool marks in them; a Schneider polygon and a Chanlynn barrel. Every other barrel I looked through had obvious tooling marks from the reaming process. Even hammer forged can have tool marks. I have Kriegers, Broughton, Pac nor, Shilen, Wilson, Hart, plus typical factory rifle barrels. Even makers BEST barrels had tool marks. Not sure that correlates specifically to accuracy but I think they could have lapped before rifling and removed them.
I have two Schneider barrels currently, one was flawless, the other (a 338) had very distinct tooling marks. No maker seems to be exempt.

I looked at a brand new, unfired Remington barrel in 7-08. It had deep indentations near the muzzle in the tops of the lands. I will have to be re-crowned before I can use it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 1minute, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,167
Posts18,503,094
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.