Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No bone dust on my meat, thanks anyway.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jwall
And Jesus walked every where he went. whistle

Want to try that ? laugh
wink

Is one way Right ? Is the other way Wrong ?

What's the problem?

Jerry

The problem?

Sounds like you’re taking things personal for some reason. That’s what I’d identify as the problem.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never split the pelvis, no need. For the sternum, I just move over 1/2 inch and cut through the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. Everything else is knife work and quicker with a knife. When all the meat is off the carcass I DO use a recip saw to break down what's left to fit in the trash bin.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tzone
And Jesus walked every where he went. whistle

Want to try that ? laugh
wink

Is one way Right ? Is the other way Wrong ?

What's the problem?

The problem?
Sounds like you’re taking things personal for some reason. That’s what I’d identify as the problem.

No sorry, "sounds like" - you can't HEAR my inflection on the printed page.

I use the emoticons to indicate 'HUMOR'. whistle . laugh , wink
I was trying to keep it light. Sorry for the MISunderstanding.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
No bone dust on my meat, thanks anyway.

Same here ! I use the recip saw AFTER 'knifing' the meat off. Tenderloins 1st (inside cavity), Backstrap 2nd, Legs (4) below the meat, backbone - below the hams, THEN split pelvic bone. Most of the time because of our WX it's too warm to leave hanging SO I put the MEAT in ice & water for days. **> meat is LEFT on (4) leg bones for days past rigor mortis.

Now, do we buy commercial packaged cuts of meat ? Bet there's no bone dust there ? I don't.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by woodson
Just like the title read, anyone using a reciprocating saw for deer work? Worth pursuing? I imagine keeping it clean, internally, to be tedious.

The inside doesn't touch the deer.
Only the blade has to.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The absolute worst venison I’ve ever eaten had had a saw run through it, 3 elk and 3 deer we dropped off at the locker after they’d hung on the meat pole for a week in the cold. Anywhere that the saw had dragged bone chips, marrow, fat, and connective tissues was extremely gamey.

That forever spoiled me on using any kind of saw on game. Also put an end to my using processors.

I broke down an old bull elk on Saturday, to include removing his head and the lower legs from all 4 quarters, with my old Cammilus jumbo trapper pocket knife. I doubt I could have gotten his legs off at the knees much easier or faster if I’d had my Milwaukee Hackzall out of my work truck since each knee took less than a minute.

To each his own though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i use a saw cuzz i can not handle the hole critter to get it hanging in the cooler .water hose gets rid of bone chips .people need to do what works for them no need to bitch cuzz every body dont do it their way

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You bet I use a Sawzall on my deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
The absolute worst venison I’ve ever eaten had had a saw run through it, 3 elk and 3 deer we dropped off at the locker after they’d hung on the meat pole for a week in the cold. Anywhere that the saw had dragged bone chips, marrow, fat, and connective tissues was extremely gamey.

That forever spoiled me on using any kind of saw on game. Also put an end to my using processors.

I broke down an old bull elk on Saturday, to include removing his head and the lower legs from all 4 quarters, with my old Cammilus jumbo trapper pocket knife. I doubt I could have gotten his legs off at the knees much easier or faster if I’d had my Milwaukee Hackzall out of my work truck since each knee took less than a minute.

To each his own though.

Satisfying, isn't it?!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 44mc
i use a saw cuzz i can not handle the hole critter to get it hanging in the cooler

people need to do what works for them no need to bitch cuzz every body dont do it their way

OH !, but this is the 'Fire'.

Whatever the subject (?), the Only Way to do IT is MY WAY. Anyone who doesn't do it my/our way is wrong!

You do your way. I’ll do my way. All is good.

Jerry

That's all it takes and NO drama.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A good Buck knife works for me.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just like the title read, anyone using a reciprocating saw for deer work? Worth pursuing? I imagine keeping it clean, internally, to be tedious.

I'm not sure there is a real need to saw deer. A heavy knife will split the sternum fairly easily and you can go around, rather than through, the pelvis quite easily. On bigger critters (beef) where you might need to split the spine lengthwise I have used a chain saw with vegetable oil for bar oil. It is messy but fast. I assume it would work as well on elk or moose as it does on beef. A reciprocating blade will clog on the back stroke, a rotating blade self cleans so it works a lot better.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I'm not sure there is a real need to saw deer. A heavy knife will split the sternum fairly easily and you can go around, rather than through, the pelvis quite easily. On bigger critters (beef) where you might need to split the spine lengthwise I have used a chain saw with vegetable oil for bar oil. It is messy but fast. I assume it would work as well on elk or moose as it does on beef. A reciprocating blade will clog on the back stroke, a rotating blade self cleans so it works a lot better.

Tom

Actually a recip works great for splitting deer. I use one of the more aggressive blades on my Milwaukee.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What blade size? I was using one for PVC pipe with maybe 20 teetch per inch but it will clog easily. Is a pruning blade too aggressive? It won't be used for meat. I have also used large loppers to good advantage but for splitting down the spine the saws all is the ticket for me. I usually am knife only or knife and a hatchet but use the saw if I am splitting the animal.

That video was offensive on the amount of meat wasted. Probably could have made 50 lbs. of sausage with just what he discarded. Also he wasted the saddle roast (or top round) one of the best cuts of meat after the back strap & tenderloins.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use the 12" Milwaukee Ax blade on a cheap cordless. Works great and easy cleanup.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...g-Saw-Blades-5-Pack-48-00-5027/100058087

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
What blade size? I was using one for PVC pipe with maybe 20 teetch per inch but it will clog easily. Is a pruning blade too aggressive?

It won't be used for meat.
BINGO !!

I use the pruning blade ON/ACROSS bones not thru Meat.

It does NOT clog.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The boys on my lease would laugh their asses off. I use nothing but a knife.

I don’t gut mine, but when I did, it was no problem to split sternum with a knife. I’ve seen guys use loppers to take legs off before. My 110 lb granddaughter can quarter a deer with a Buck knife.

I never really heard of this before, learn something new once a week.

Is that a Yankee thing??? Maybe we behind the times down here in Texas???

Last edited by hanco; 12/19/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve seen guys use laupers to take legs off before.

Cindy?.....

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve seen guys use laupers to take legs off before.

Cindy?.....

Whoops. Loppers, not laupers

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 3,181 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.