-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bunny hole indeed. IME unless your ammo is grossly misaligned, you will never see a benefit from concentricity checks/fixes in 99% of hunting applications. Best left to the paper punchers

Last edited by Blacktailer; 12/23/19.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Bunny hole indeed. IME unless your ammo is grossly misaligned, you will never see a benefit from concentricity checks/fixes in 99% of hunting applications. Best left to the paper punchers

True, but who said this is only about hunting? Plenty of us here are interested in accurate rifles, not just whatever it takes to kill deer at normal hunting ranges. If traditional hunting was the only consideration, we could all go back to 30/30 lever actions and surplus Mausers and Enfields and never discuss accurate rifles here.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/23/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Yondering
...True, but who said this is only about hunting? Plenty of us here are interested in accurate rifles, not just whatever it takes to kill deer at normal hunting ranges. If traditional hunting was the only consideration, we could all go back to 30/30 lever actions and surplus Mausers and Enfields and never discuss accurate rifles here.

It is about his first gauge. Did you even read his weblog? Did you wonder why he started this thread? Leave your attitude at the door, and ask Shaman about his 8x57.

Here's what Shaman said in his first post. I'll repeat: Did you even read this or his weblog? He is at the beginning of his exploration, and needs to walk before he can run. If you want to learn more about what Clark and Chris posted, start a thread and invite them to contribute. Shaman is not using this, or any other gauge, for competition, nor is he at an advanced level.

Common courtesy seems to elude you. Be nice enough to leave his thread alone. Start your own.

Originally Posted by shaman
I want to thank this forum and specifically Follically Challenged and Mule Deer for my Christmas present.

KYHillChick told me she was stuck for a gift for me, and sent me looking. I was on Natchez Shooters Supply and found a Hornady Concentricity Tool for about 40% off normal street price.

I want to thank Folically Challenged. We were discussing runout on the way back from our Georgia Hog Hunting trip (Lord knows we didn't have much to talk about re: the hogs) . He's what got me thinking about it. I also want to thank Mule Deer for the original impetus.

Yes, I know the Hornady tool isn't the best, but it's a start.

Here's my weblog entry:

Hornady Concentricity Tool

I also want to thank KYHillChick for keeping me in reloading gadgets for the last 20 years.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tag

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Leave your attitude at the door, and ask Shaman about his 8x57.

Common courtesy seems to elude you. Be nice enough to leave his thread alone. Start your own.

What attitude is that Steve, and what discourtesy are you referring to? Perhaps you are the one who should go back and read, maybe this time without your "Yondering is a jerk" filter that you've put on ever since I disagreed with you in one thread. Maybe you could lay off the attacks and try some of that courtesy yourself?

I've discussed reloading a number of times with Shaman, have always gotten along well with him, and he can probably handle the thread without your intervention, thanks.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/23/19.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...True, but who said this is only about hunting? Plenty of us here are interested in accurate rifles, not just whatever it takes to kill deer at normal hunting ranges. If traditional hunting was the only consideration, we could all go back to 30/30 lever actions and surplus Mausers and Enfields and never discuss accurate rifles here.

It is about his first gauge. Did you even read his weblog? Did you wonder why he started this thread? Leave your attitude at the door, and ask Shaman about his 8x57.

Here's what Shaman said in his first post. I'll repeat: Did you even read this or his weblog? He is at the beginning of his exploration, and needs to walk before he can run. If you want to learn more about what Clark and Chris posted, start a thread and invite them to contribute. Shaman is not using this, or any other gauge, for competition, nor is he at an advanced level.

Originally Posted by shaman
I want to thank this forum and specifically Follically Challenged and Mule Deer for my Christmas present.

KYHillChick told me she was stuck for a gift for me, and sent me looking. I was on Natchez Shooters Supply and found a Hornady Concentricity Tool for about 40% off normal street price.

I want to thank Folically Challenged. We were discussing runout on the way back from our Georgia Hog Hunting trip (Lord knows we didn't have much to talk about re: the hogs) . He's what got me thinking about it. I also want to thank Mule Deer for the original impetus.

Yes, I know the Hornady tool isn't the best, but it's a start.

Here's my weblog entry:

Hornady Concentricity Tool

I also want to thank KYHillChick for keeping me in reloading gadgets for the last 20 years.

Jesus for a Canadian you are kind of a dick..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I used to say to some of the staff when I was working, "Let me be the deliverer."

Some of the information in this thread is beyond what most of the readers here understand or can use. This is not a slight, but rather, an explanation of the audience.

You Canadians are even nice when you call us all
Idiots

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Glen's books are among the best, but there are a number of other good ones, especially RIFLE ACCURACY FACTS by Harold R. Vaughan, or even THE BENCHREST SHOOTING PRIMER, published by Precision Shooting in 1997.

White I realize these are antiques compared to Zediker, they might be more useful to hunters, rather than target shooters.

MD — I read Zedikers when I was shooting high Power... they are good books.

After working with Gordy Gritters a few years I’ve gone beyond the rabbit hole now, I’m experimenting with tight necks, measuring the actual bullet bearing areas, ....custom bullets and hydro seaters. Then again my groups now start off where my old factory rifles groups stopped tightening up so I’m not complaining.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I check run out on all my ammo. What i learned rcbs die setup right are damn good dies. Lee FL dies while a great buy gave me a bunch of run out issues. Switched to rcbs run out eliminated this was with 223 ammo I used for midrange shoots.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did all the “floating” upgrades to all my presses before I moved to a Co-Ax press, and finally an arbor press for my compeition shells.
In High Power you shoot too much to do that (feeding an AR with an Arbor press wouldn’t last long, even a single stage is too slow).. so the Dillon 650 got the node.

The trick of course - if you are shooting ALOT like say pdogs... you have a issue with how many rounds - are you going to check all of them ?

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I did all the “floating” upgrades to all my presses before I moved to a Co-Ax press, and finally an arbor press for my compeition shells.
In High Power you shoot too much to do that (feeding an AR with an Arbor press wouldn’t last long, even a single stage is too slow).. so the Dillon 650 got the node.

The trick of course - if you are shooting ALOT like say pdogs... you have a issue with how many rounds - are you going to check all of them ?

I haven’t graduated to my DIllion 650 yet, my single stage working so far granted we have maybe 3 shoots a month.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yondering, you are rude, almost daily. Shaman has genuine questions and you're being a dick. Grow up.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shaman has genuine questions and you're being a dick. Grow up.

I did read his blog and on this thread, I've only seen statements from Shaman which looked like he wanted to open up a discussion about concentricity of loaded ammo. I'm sorry if you think we're making him drink from a fire hose, but I didn't know that he had appointed you to operate the spigot for him. Everything has been on topic in this thread and offered in the interest of helping him. Maybe the thread has meandered in your eyes, but many good threads do and contain value for the others following along. As in all public boards such as this, we're all free to not read if we don't like the discussion.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Like many posts on this and other web forums, the original message or question gets lost.

Shaman is looking for advice and answers. Indeed, he wanted to discuss concentricity and tell everyone that he just got a Hornady gauge. It would be nice if posters would help, and stay on topic.

He is at the beginning of his voyage of discovery. I'll repeat what I said to Yondering. If you want to learn more about what Clark and Chris posted, start a thread and invite them to contribute. What Clark posted was far beyond what most here understand, and not what Shaman was looking for.

JB tried to communicate that message. He posted that concentrating on one aspect of reloading was only part of the puzzle, and that he writes primarily for hunters.

As often happens around here, no good deed goes unpunished.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You seem to view the topic as the Hornady tool...most here seem to be viewing it a little broader as concentricity of loaded rounds. Who's right? No less than JB pointed him toward Harold Vaughn's book which is no less deep than Clark's Abatiello article. I also posted that the concentricity question posed is only a part of the ammo part of what I view as a system (the other three being rifle, sighting and shooter). We're all trying to help him along. Let him stretch his brain a bit. That's where the progress happens.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/24/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Who appointed you hall monitor Steve Redgwell? It is pretty clear who is being a dick, and lacks common courtesy here, and it isn't Yondering.

There's some interesting information being posted here, and all you are doing is getting in the way of that, patronising those of us reading it and insulting those posting it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr Barsness,
I like the old stuff too...there's still stuff to be relearnt!
I remember being in the reference section of the library and running across Phil Sharpe's book with references to colloidal graphite. This was just as the Moly thing was getting started. I chased all over trying to find that stuff without success. At the risk of incurring more of Mr Redgwell's wrath...has anyone played with Colloidal Graphite coated bullets?

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/24/19.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys! Guys! Guys!

Let's all back up a bit. As the OP, I can truthfully state, that I'm finding this thread quite insightful and compelling. Y'all have gotten my juices flowing-- that's all of you.

Steve: I appreciate your defense of the original premise. He's right you know: Canadians have this innate capacity to be pleasant even when they are disparaging us. You've been doing it to the whole world for generations. I happen to think it's one of y'all's better qualities- that and the maple syrup.

Yondering: As ever, I appreciate your point of view

ChrisF: You're right. I am trying to get a discussion started on concentricity and other aspects of accurate reloading.

Let's all settle down, go take a pi$$, grab another beer. If you all need some time, go grab a look at the Youtube thread I just posted. I think it's sublime.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...4400120/gonew/1/deer-feeding-before-snow

This is opening up all kind of interesting ideas. Is this mostly about hunting cartridges? Yes and no. I'm just starting to pick at this scab. If this were the personals section, you could label me as "accuracy-curious."

This is a minor hijack, and seeing as though I'm the OP, I guess it's okay. Do any of you know anything about this gimcrack?

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-0412...EC7K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

It's an add-on to the Hornady LNL Concentricity Gauge.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

True, but who said this is only about hunting? Plenty of us here are interested in accurate rifles, not just whatever it takes to kill deer at normal hunting ranges. If traditional hunting was the only consideration, we could all go back to 30/30 lever actions and surplus Mausers and Enfields and never discuss accurate rifles here.

As Steve pointed out, I was just addressing the OP's question. There are all kinds of things that the BR or other precision oriented crowd does that have very little benefit to the average shooter. How about weight sorting? Tell me the last time that made a difference with the hunting crowd. You are guilty of the typical internet lurker, you think that your experience is everyone's experience. There is a big world out there.
Merry Christmas.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chris,

I've never been able to find any colloidal graphite either! (Never did find any Mobilubricant, either, the stuff that Townsend Whelen and others of his era used on bullets to keep cupronickel fouling down....)

Eventually decided a while back decided that, for my purposes (and that of most readers) it was preferable to coat the bore rather than every bullet!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.