Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Plumbing has changed a lot since I started in 1971. We put packed oakum ( rope) in cast iron pipe, poured lead in the joint. It then went to rubber gaskets, then to no hub clamps. This is commercial work. They don’t use PVC, because it kills when it burns. We use PVC outside and underground, but cast iron above slab. Water pipe was all copper or threaded galvanize pipe. We don’t see much threaded steel now. It’s victaulic now, both steel and copper. Copper is also propressed. They have invented all of that to save labor. Years ago there would be thirty hands on a job, now fifteen. We laid our work out with a transit, tape measure, and string.
Now they use GPS on big jobs. You figured out dimensions by adding and subtracting from columns. Now you a computer will do that for you. Plumbing was once a better trade in my opinion.

Some jobs probably haven’t changed much. How has yours changed or is it the same?

Last edited by hanco; 12/23/19.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The people I work with have all gotten younger over the years.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At my job (44 years), more work expected out of fewer workers. Two guys are expected to do what 6+ guys once did.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by smokepole
The people I work with have all gotten younger over the years.

That and meskinized

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I started Plumbing and Heating in 1971 also. All the underground was cast iron. I have a very new Reed chain soil snap cutter I've been trying to sell; guys don't know what it is! Most recently before retiring I worked as a residential boiler serviceman. Had to keep taking classes and continuing education to keep up with the electronics involved. I kept a paper map in the truck to find where I had to go...the helpers would just use GPS; then look up the solution to the problems on U-Tube. Glad I could retire!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
for me the biggest change is telecommuting (working from home)

I'm still old school and go into the office every day, but 4 of the 5 people that work for me all work from home. 2 of them don't even have an office to go into even if they wanted.

I have the option to work from home, and occasionally I'll do it if I have a reason to be at the house that day, but I believe out of site, out of mind and I want people to see me contributing around the office.

The thing about people getting younger isn't just a joke though. We're losing boomers to retirement at an alarming pace and as such we're having to invest quite a bit of effort and money into recruiting young college grads. The average years of service at my company is 18 years right now.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/23/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Started out using slide rule.

Now it's Excel or Aspen or some other computer stuff.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I cover about five times the territory that I did just 12 years ago. There were seven of us salesmen in a region that now has only two.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The means for putting a crop in, making it more productive, and getting it out, have improved astronomically.

Black Cows Matter!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As muleshoe has ,said the crop farming has changed nearly altogether. Cows, not so much.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Everyone had a real telephone and a land line.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I work when and where I want to, and set my own prices. Such is the reward for spending 60 years developing the skills necessary to do my job, being in the top 1/0 of 1% of nationally certified automotive technicians, and being "retired". Now I only travel 1,000+ miles a week in 9 states, but I do it my way. Other than that, not much has changed.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cows themselves have not of course, but our means to care for them certainly have.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to work hard as I was labor. Now I am management so I pretty much just stand around. Or sit, if I want to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I started in International sales, you came in every morning to see how many fax had come in overnight. Very little phoning as international calls could cost $100+ for just a few minutes. Now, they can reach you by cell phone any time of the day or night. We occasionally get someone who did not pay attention to the time difference. After they woke me in the middle of the night a few times, I returned the favor. They caught on real quick to not call in the middle of the night here. Miss the friends I made but have not missed the travel or the work since I quit 12 years ago.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My job has really changed........I went from having to work, to now only working when I want to......because I'm retired. But, when you have a farm, you're never really "retired."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My job has really changed........I went from having to work, to now only working when I want to......because I'm retired. But, when you have a farm, you're never really "retired."

And you never really have a payday either

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell no, private work career has, and always will be the same, cows, no there too, I live in the free state of Oklahoma, hell you can burn a brushpile with tires here if you want, the eco epa pussies won't venture out this far, they have a built in survival mechanism much like the cowardice coyote.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr
when you have a farm, you're never really "retired."

A retired farmer is one that wouldn't tell a mule to "Git Up" if it sat on his lap!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffyD
At my job (44 years), more work expected out of fewer workers. Two guys are expected to do what 6+ guys once did.

And I bet you that it is the same two workers that they always rely on to do the workd of the other six.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (16gage, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.