Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I plan on adding a 6mm Creedmoor to he collection. I am going to skip the 6.5 Creedmoor as I have two different 6.5 chambers and 2 different 25 caliber chamberings.

HR IC

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A stock is only good if it fits the shooter and none of the stocks that Howa has installed on its lower priced styles has ever fit me worth a damn. The best factory installed synthetic stock that I've seen come on a Howa is the current V2 stock, while the best factory installed wood stocks have been those installed on the Howa 1500s imported for sale by Mossberg and S&W. GPC still have some NOS walnut for the short action 1500 and 1700LS for sale.

I agree that stock fit is important. I’ve had a different experience than yours. Weatherby-style stocks, with their Monte Carlo cheek pieces, don’t work for me. I find they accentuate recoil. I’ve had better luck with straight combed stocks, even the Hogue.

The Vanguard S2 stocks are well done, however - along with the Tikka T3X stock, probably the best factory tupperware around in terms of quality.

While Howa’s aftermarket can’t compare with the Remington, there are several choices for aftermarket stocks, and the rifles are generally good enough to make it worth investing in a stock you like.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by douglasfir
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A stock is only good if it fits the shooter and none of the stocks that Howa has installed on its lower priced styles has ever fit me worth a damn. The best factory installed synthetic stock that I've seen come on a Howa is the current V2 stock, while the best factory installed wood stocks have been those installed on the Howa 1500s imported for sale by Mossberg and S&W. GPC still have some NOS walnut for the short action 1500 and 1700LS for sale.

I agree that stock fit is important. I’ve had a different experience than yours. Weatherby-style stocks, with their Monte Carlo cheek pieces, don’t work for me. I find they accentuate recoil. I’ve had better luck with straight combed stocks, even the Hogue.

The Vanguard S2 stocks are well done, however - along with the Tikka T3X stock, probably the best factory tupperware around in terms of quality.

While Howa’s aftermarket can’t compare with the Remington, there are several choices for aftermarket stocks, and the rifles are generally good enough to make it worth investing in a stock you like.

I've never noticed accentuated recoil being a characteristic of monte carlo style stocks.

I put McM Hunters on my V2s and a B&C Weatherby-style Medalist on my Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM. I'd probably buy another of the B&C stocks if a 6 CM ever finds its way to my home.

I've never owned a Tikka.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.