Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I have a friend that has elk hunted with one rifle since 1971. The same rifle since ‘71. He has killed over 40 elk with it, including 25 bulls. This is pretty impressive in this day and age of ultralight guns and newfangled latest and greatest cartridges. He reloads for one cartridge. One. He uses one bullet and powder. One. But he gets it done year after year with his 1962 (first year of production) Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag (also, first year 7mm mag introduced). It is the elk killing rifle.

You just described a rancher friend of mine. His too is a 1962 Rem 700 in 7mm RM (they had "blued" stainless barrels that first year). He got it used around 1970, and it wears a Leupold 3-9x40 on top. The 100's (1,000's) of miles that rifle has ridden in a scabbard would be hard to calculate, and it lives in his rear truck window. It has certainly accounted for nearly 100 elk in his, friends, family, and clients hands (he used to guide North of Yellowstone).

There's a lot to be said for a one-rifle hunter. Building that sort of history with a rifle is a very cool thing... me, I'm just too much of a tinkerer.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
I have a friend that has elk hunted with one rifle since 1971. The same rifle since ‘71. He has killed over 40 elk with it, including 25 bulls. This is pretty impressive in this day and age of ultralight guns and newfangled latest and greatest cartridges. He reloads for one cartridge. One. He uses one bullet and powder. One. But he gets it done year after year with his 1962 (first year of production) Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag (also, first year 7mm mag introduced). It is the elk killing rifle.

A .30-06 would have done the same thing.....

Whooooosh. Right over your head.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Whooooosh. Right over your head.

That's exactly what I thought...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Judman
Lotsa shiit will work, I’ve done it, in probably the “worst” elk hunting conditions possible, nothing hurts em right now like a big chunk of lead started out 2800 FPS or so... I’ve killed and seen several killed with 22’s, 243, 6mm, 25/06 etc... huntin dry states, ie, not western Washington, Oregon or North Idaho, I’d use about anything, the aforementioned states are a total different game...

I hunted the Oregon coast one time swore never go back lol.. but if I were to hunt the coast again be with a 325, 338 shooting a partition, a-bomb or interlock..

I believe I'd have my Kimber Talkeetna 375 H&H cut back to 20" (cripes, maybe 16") or acquire one of the short bbl'd big-bore levers. I don't even like hunting ruffed grouse in the hazelbrush tangles of an oak ridge let alone trying to scoot a single bullet through that sort of NW rain-forest mess at a big game critter.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
A M721 he bent the bbl on,

horse fall on it?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So he is not a rifle looney. smile

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My story is kind of like that. Bought a rifle decades ago and hunted elk with it every year until the blueing has worn off.
It was a couple of years before I could even afford to put a scope on mine. Eventually I got old and acquired more money and felt I should upgrade to something better suited for my experience. For a few years I bought new and more expensive rifles. They all got auditioned but none ever seemed to suit me as well as my original rifle. The old familiar gun still gets the nod each autumn. Mine is a 7mag shooting 160 partitions also.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A vintage Rem 7 RM with 160 NPT’s is a hammer. And, as you’ve proven, it’s a killer. What’s not to like.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think your friend is more of a hunter than a rifle loonie. I'm sure he has saved thousands of dollars with that good mentality. I'm still a rifle loonie though, I'm always looking for that next rifle that will outdo all the others.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool story.. My old favorite is a 700 .300 WM... Now I have lots of rifles, but for elk, I usually have this one in the truck and maybe a couple others also...

Molon Labe
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m a Loony; I like to continually perfect my ordinance. But, I understand a practical hunter who keeps a full freezer without a lot of fluff. I’m probably leaning more to the Loony side, but I like to eat, too.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Judman
Lotsa shiit will work, I’ve done it, in probably the “worst” elk hunting conditions possible, nothing hurts em right now like a big chunk of lead started out 2800 FPS or so... I’ve killed and seen several killed with 22’s, 243, 6mm, 25/06 etc... huntin dry states, ie, not western Washington, Oregon or North Idaho, I’d use about anything, the aforementioned states are a total different game...

I hunted the Oregon coast one time swore never go back lol.. but if I were to hunt the coast again be with a 325, 338 shooting a partition, a-bomb or interlock..

I believe I'd have my Kimber Talkeetna 375 H&H cut back to 20" (cripes, maybe 16") or acquire one of the short bbl'd big-bore levers. I don't even like hunting ruffed grouse in the hazelbrush tangles of an oak ridge let alone trying to scoot a single bullet through that sort of NW rain-forest mess at a big game critter.

Ya several ol gristles use the 375 around here still... Hellava elk rifle..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I’m a Loony; I like to continually perfect my ordinance. But, I understand a practical hunter who keeps a full freezer without a lot of fluff. I’m probably leaning more to the Loony side, but I like to eat, too.

DF

+1

Hunting always comes first for me, but I am a certified looney! It is what I enjoy when not hunting.

The guy in the OP may be into motorcycles, golf etc. Or he may be super practical and frugal. No issues with any of it. Your life, free time and disposable income or lack of it. It takes all sorts of people to make the world go round.

Arcus Venator
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
A M721 he bent the bbl on,

horse fall on it?

Pretty sure the horse rubbed on a tree and got the scabbard momentarily hung up enough to bend the bbl. Why the scabbard straps didn't rip out I don't know. Worst part is I was the 11 year old kid tending the horses while the men were quartering and loading the elk..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I've seen three bbls bent by horses, all of them 24" or 26". The 26" was a Mark V.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh yeah man my Uncle is the same way; been shooting an A-Bolt 7 RM for as long as I can remember and knocks stuff over like a mad man.

160 NPTs & H4831 I think?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A 1951 Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, iron sights and factory 200 gr Core-Lokts. Or Savage 99 in '06 with 180 gr Nosler partitions.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Model 700 338 win mag. Filled elk tags every year since 1978. 250 grain nosler partition handload

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I bumped into an old fella back in the late 90's when we were drop camp elk hunting in northern Colorado. Had to be in his upper 70's and pretty agile considering where I found him posted in relation to where their camp was. Of course we talked about elk and cartridges. He had a blued and walnut Ruger tanger in .338WM with a 4x weaver on it. Don't recall the bullet weight and style. He and his party came from Pennsylvania every year. He knew if he stayed in his spot long enough someone (national forest) would push at least one cow toward him. I asked him why such a large caliber - of course on purpose. He said he wasn't about to chase no elk in the mountains. He wanted them dead where he could see 'em. He was a character and I wished him well.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by efw
Oh yeah man my Uncle is the same way; been shooting an A-Bolt 7 RM for as long as I can remember and knocks stuff over like a mad man.

160 NPTs & H4831 I think?

7RM’s shooting 160 NAB/NPT’s have filled a lot of freezers.

DF
/

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.