Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In flooded timber, heck yes I want three shots. We oftentimes have to shoot a cripple on the water.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I trained pointers and hunted bobwhite I started with a 20 gauge 870. It wasn't uncommon to kill five birds on the covey rise. But you fill a limit too quickly that way and your hunt is over for the day. After I switched to a double I would concentrate on killing two birds on the covey rise and then hunting the singles. That was much more fun and extended the hunt and the training.

Without a dog to retrieve, the third shot will cause too many lost birds. It's just difficult to mark three downed birds and find all three.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just because you have 5 shots doesn't mean you have to use them!! Pretty simple..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For each his own, I have used doubles for all my life at everything from chukars to geese and turkeys too, never needed anything else. I have lots of friends with pumps and autos and they can do whatever they want...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hunt ruffed grouse and woodcock with a Franchi AL48 28ga. I do this because it's the shotgun I shoot the best in "woods" hunting conditions. MN doesn't require a plug for upland so long ago I did pull the plug, so, it holds 5 rounds, but, I can't think of any time I've shot them all.

In open ground for pheasants, Huns, or Sharptails I use a 20ga Beretta. 302, 303, 391, or often a SxS 626. In ND, we're limited to 3-shots for all bird hunting so it's either 2 or 3 shots no matter what. Once in a great while if I know I'm hunting exclusively cattails late in the season I'll switch to a semi-auto 12 to reduce the chance of a cripple. Wild late season crippled pheasants in cattails can be a real bugger to find so deader is better.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I typically use an autoloader for pheasants when hunting in Minnesote for a couple of reasons. First, typical pheasant habitat is swamp/marsh lands which often adds ducks to the options when the water is not frozen. This necessitates non-toxic shot and my autos are the only 12 ga guns I have that will handle steel shot. I guess my clays O/U is steel safe but I don't wish to subject it to the rigors of marsh hunting.

The second reason is the third shot can be helpful in finishing off a winged rooster. That third shot will spook fewer birds than a dog chasing after a cripple. When a hard day of hunting produces two to three opportunities for roosters one does all they can to keep the odds on their side.

These opportunities may come all at once as pheasants tend to flock up late in the season. One might tramp all day without seeing a bird and then have dozens of birds get up with one step. It is a very real possibility those will be the only birds you see, particularly as one is often hunting public land, so having extra rounds can be helpful. It falls much in the same vein as hunting mountain chukars as mentioned earlier.
U
And we all know the quintessential upland bird hunting experience occurs following a pointing dog...;)

+10 this is also my philosophy , I own more than a few shotguns and enjoy hunting with all of them. On sharptails and pheasant I usually use one of my Sweet 16's and there is no plug in any of them. Or any of my pump guns unless I'm waterfowling. I am getting old as well as my dog ,we both enjoy the day more if were not out all day, way it is. Usually hunt by myself and the dog just because I don't care to have to listen to someone tell me how to hunt my dog, what gun to use ,how many shells it has in it or what kind of shells they think I ought to be using. Yes, I have some o/u's and sxs types too and use them when I want too, accepting their limitations to do so. You see I'm getting old and I just get go**amn tired of any sob telling me how I need to do something I've all ready spent most of my life doing the way I want too. Magnum_Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Preach it Bob. Solidly in your camp. Love having my son and daughter join me. After that, its me and the dog(s).

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bob you said that perfectly. I almost always hunt alone. Often my wife waits in the truck while the dogs & I hunt.. But any more we never hunt all day for anything. Oftentimes I make a hunt in the morning and again later, or we just go for a pleasant ride in the evening before having supper. Great being retired.. Next day we do the same thing!!!!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well thanks guys for the vote of confidence on my thoughts and values. 30-338 if my daughter wanted to hunt I'd take her 8 days a week..... WCH in 2months 4 days 2hrs and 6 minutes I am gonna be retired also, right now I'm just tired. Lotta light in the end of my tunnel right now and it is getting brighter by the day. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very best Bob.. I have been retired for 21 years.. Best thing I ever did..

Molon Labe
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
3 shots is the only thing wrong with my Benelli ultralight ...

I’ll take 5 anyway ... I may swap it back out with a M2, which it replaced... but surprisingly my SBE 1 isn’t much heavier (7lb 3oz) than my ultralight so I guess I’m good.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This was a single flush,give me a pump or auto.

When I bird hunt I like to give me dogs the most retrieves I can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

This was a single flush,give me a pump or auto.

When I bird hunt I like to give me dogs the most retrieves I can.

*my

#humblebrag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mom always said it wasn’t bragging if you could do it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 30338
Mom always said it wasn’t bragging if you could do it.

Not sure how consistent I could do it with those little rockets.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Widrathaar, that looks like a Ithaca M37R hiding behind those birds 16 o 20? MB

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Widrathaar, that looks like a Ithaca M37R hiding behind those birds 16 o 20? MB

20 gauge ultralight 37

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Same gun with a double of huns from the day before that pic.

Last edited by widrahthaar; 03/19/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had 1 of those 40 years ago in 20 with a full choke and the Sid Bell grip cap. It swung to fast and was choked to tight for me so It went down the road. Years later made the same mistake with 20 ga M870 21" Special field it had Rem Choke but was to short. a few years later made the same mistake with a 24" barreled 12 ga Benelli Montefeltro that I got cheap. Finally I'm smart enough not to buy anything no matter how nice with less than 26" barrel length. Slow learner I guess. 1 of my field guns I do use is a 28* barreled M37R in 16 ga. It has a full choke but I can open the pattern by using older Federals without shot protection and some custom reloads. Damn good shooting on your part
. MB

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This one has a 28 inch barrel and screw in chokes.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.