Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have arthritis all thru my body. About every major joint,hands ,neck and up and down the spine, and plantar faciitus in my feet. Two spinal surgeries, one replaced shoulder and many steroid injections, plus chemical and electric de-nervation of nerves in my lower back.I have come to the conclusion that these damn doctors only guess at what they think will work.They will do a ct scan and MRI and only look at one thing.

As stated the steroid injections to arthritic joints only last about three weeks and it needs to be right in the area of inflammation. It does travel thru out the body, but with limited help.

Since elk season my right knee has been swollen ans sore.Steroid injection between ML season and rifle season but it wore off in three weeks

To get thru it I have been using Sombra Cool Therapy cream mixed with CBD oil twice a day

^

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
You never mentioned which steroid. I am assuming ti is cortisone. If so, every time it is injected (to reduce swelling and increase blood flow for repair) it does damage. The site will be damaged due to the shot. They forget to tell you that. Look it up.

COrtisone shots are over prescribed and should be mainly for someone training who has to 'get in the game' or temp relief for someon who will be getting surgery at a later date.

Its a stop gap, and as many have posted, not a particularly great one.

Best of luck with the rest of your medical advice from the 'fire.

Care to share your training and practice?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You never mentioned which steroid. I am assuming ti is cortisone. If so, every time it is injected (to reduce swelling and increase blood flow for repair) it does damage. The site will be damaged due to the shot. They forget to tell you that. Look it up.

COrtisone shots are over prescribed and should be mainly for someone training who has to 'get in the game' or temp relief for someon who will be getting surgery at a later date.

Its a stop gap, and as many have posted, not a particularly great one.

Best of luck with the rest of your medical advice from the 'fire.

Care to share your training and practice?

“Best of luck with your medical advice from the fire.” Including yours? The irony....

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/05/20.
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
George- I caught that as well about his sneering comment regarding medical advice and then offering his. Rather funny. People can have experience in this area to offer. I obviously need to weigh that information myself.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good luck!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I have had a few steroid injections in various locations and they all fixed me right up. These were generally for injuries and not conditions.

The one thing I will point out is when my hands hurt and my wrists and hands would go numb, the doctor immediately went to my shoulder. I told him it didn't hurt up there it hurt down there. He knew what he was doing. I had a similar episode where I had pain between my bicep and tricep. Again the doctor went up into my shoulder area. Again he was right. Another time I had severe pain under my right shoulder blade. The doctor went to my neck. Again he was right; I fell down on my back but basically had a whiplash from the fall.

In short when you go to medical school and get a license to practice medicine, take your own advice. There are quacks out there for sure, but they are in the extreme minority. You do know what they call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class in medical school? Doctor. They all aren't the best. Choose a doctor with a good reputation and trust him.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

My doctor didn't forget to tell me that. But if that's something that most doctors "forget to tell you," then asking opinions of those who've had injections would be a smart thing to do, wouldn't you agree?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

My doctor didn't forget to tell me that. But if that's something that most doctors "forget to tell you," then asking opinions of those who've had injections would be a smart thing to do, wouldn't you agree?

Mine either!..But the point here should be, the injured person should do his own research prior to agreeing to anything..I saw two doctors for the same tear..One wanted surgery immediately without offering alternatives or a standard xray while the other ordered a standard xray prior to my visit and offered alternatives to surgery..I took the second option with a steroid shot and am glad I did.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
.I saw two doctors for the same tear..One wanted surgery immediately without offering alternatives or a standard xray while the other ordered a standard xray prior to my visit and offered alternatives to surgery.

Asking an orthopedic surgeon if you need surgery is about like asking a barber if you need a haircut.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
True that. They do like to cut on people.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.