Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not gonna fault anyone who thinks they need to carry

I have a revolver hidden near the entrance of each door of my house and one in the night stand. The only time they aren't readily accessible is when family comes to visit - I put them back in the safe until they leave.

If only have 1 gun that I'd want to carry - thats my LCP as someone mentioned earlier. I think I'm going to get the 9mm just because I want one.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm 140 yards back off the road with a dog that barks at anybody that gets within 50 yards of my front door. Something is always within reach. Lately it's been my old Ruger Police Service Six,...just because I shoot revolvers better than auto loaders.

But actually, I don't worry too much about home invasions out here. No dirtbags live out here and none seem inclined to visit.

Bristol, I fully understand how you feel about the absence of dirtbags.....but, it can happen anywhere. We are in similar circumstances, and don’t carry at home. And, just like you, they are “very” close.

A few years ago a couple of “dopers” from Cody (Wyoming), saw a lady in town driving a Land Rover. It seems they took a liking to it! They followed her home, to a tiny, little town called Clark.....where they murdered her and her elderly parents for the Land Rover. They managed to have their Land Rover for most of the evening!

Obviously, she didn’t have anything within reach, such as yourself. Perhaps she didn’t think the “dirtbags” would follow her home! memtb

Herb Clutter lived in a virtually crime-free part of Kansas the day that Richard Hickock and Perry Smith slaughtered him with his entire family. The book Truman Capote wrote about it, In Cold Blood, is mandatory reading for anyone who wants to understand the criminal mind. It certainly motivated me to start carrying a pistol on my person at home at all times as soon as I could do so, and I still follow the practice. I put my pistol on when I get dressed in the morning, and take it off when I go to bed at night. In my home or on the road, it doesn't matter. Evil can and does show up without warning anywhere.

Oh, and as for dogs... I have several cases in my files where the intending murderer(s) killed the dog(s) as the first phase of the attack. Almost any dog can be lured closer with a tasty bit of raw meat, then shot in the head with a .22 or other quiet weapon. If your dog(s) are your first line of warning/defense, what's your second line?

Last edited by DocRocket; 01/21/20.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My second line is a .357 double tap center of mass to anyone who enters my home uninvited. If the situation progresses beyond that,..it's a very short trip to retrieve the FN FAL in the closet.

,...but this is rural central Kentucky,...not the outback of desolate Kansas. The entire area is an armed camp.

A home invasion out here is just a creative way to commit suicide. Hence,...you very, very rarely hear of one.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Oh, and as for dogs... I have several cases in my files where the intending murderer(s) killed the dog(s) as the first phase of the attack."

I used to work with a very pretty single lady that was always hitting on me. The problem was that she a radical union member, a Democrat and didn't believe that citizens had the right to own a firearm for any reason. I told I had a lot of firearms and would use one if someone broke into my home. She asked why wouldn't I just call 911 and I told I would after I shot the intruder. She said she didn't need a firearm because her dog would protect her. I asked if her dog had a gun and she said of course not. I told her that if somebody broke into her house they'd just shoot her dog first thing. She couldn't imagine that ever happening..

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So does anyone here have a "shower gun"? smile

We have shower dogs.

This is a picture of my wife in the shower. The little one is waiting for her to come out, the big one is hoping to get in.

Probobly not all that much for protection..... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Used to carry at all times. That was BC. Now with young children in the house, I choose the bat method. The dog gives the wife additional piece of mind when I travel for work.

Semper Fi

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
These threads always amaze that there are so many people that can predict the future.

One of the most profound statements I have heard in > 50 years of studying self defense:

"Think more about the consequences of failure than the odds of occurrence"

Don't worry you have the rest of your life to act in an emergencygrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by haverluk
Used to carry at all times. That was BC. Now with young children in the house, I choose the bat method. The dog gives the wife additional piece of mind when I travel for work.

You stopped carrying because you had kids?

LOL.

Please explain that logic.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My second line is a .357 double tap center of mass to anyone who enters my home uninvited. If the situation progresses beyond that,..it's a very short trip to retrieve the FN FAL in the closet.

,...but this is rural central Kentucky,...not the outback of desolate Kansas. The entire area is an armed camp.

A home invasion out here is just a creative way to commit suicide. Hence,...you very, very rarely hear of one.

Do you carry when you're not at home?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Do you carry when you're not at home?

Sometimes.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave

You stopped carrying because you had kids?

LOL.

Please explain that logic.

I didn’t stop carrying totally. I stopped carrying inside the house. When I get home I will park it in the safe until I leave again. We are talking first grade and preschool. They know guns are for hunting and self defense but they don’t need to see me strapped while I make tacos for dinner or play LEGOs with them...

Semper Fi

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I didn’t stop carrying totally. I stopped carrying inside the house. When I get home I will park it in the safe until I leave again. We are talking first grade and preschool. They know guns are for hunting and self defense but they don’t need to see me strapped while I make tacos for dinner or play LEGOs with them...

Roger that.

We always had loaded guns in our house when I was a kid. Everyone knew where they were.

I've done the same with my kids. Never had any issues.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.