Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can say is I have the rims with studded Nokians on for the winter and I've not had any bad issues by using them. Icy parking lots I still have grip. Snow on roads I have grip. Clear roads I have grip.

We didn't have studs on the way up in April and though we had brand new mud/snow on it was just slippery enough and going into a tough part of the highway, that we sat on the side for 3 days till the ice thawed again. Tried the chains but it wasn't so bad that the chains were the idea, IE I wasn't eager to drive that flipping slow with chains on... for hours and hours per day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Always good to read you Dwayne!

Dwayne rocks, for sure.

Re: the topic at hand, two of our vehicles have dedicated studded tires for the winter. Packed snow and ice is common on our drives in winter. No salt used in our area, so any packed snow turns into ice overnight after a warmish day. And we have 3.5 -4 hour drives a couple of times over the Cascades to my retinal doc. These kind of road conditions are not uncommon, and usually not as well cindered :

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The other vehicle, our 2004 2wd Matrix has studless winter tires on it and I left them on all summer this year. It doesn't get used much once it gets really dicey, as I prefer studs on ice. Seems to do fine if there's only a few inches of fresh snow on the roads, and it handles quite nicely during the summer too. And even with the softer, more grippy compound I'm still getting 36+ MPG. It was going to get dedicated tires on a separate set of rims but my tire guys and I didn't find a set nearby.

Dennis, good luck with your travels. A lot of good advice here.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Drive on ice and snow here from about mid-Nov into late Feb. Four wheel drive with good radials and carry chains. The chains are only used to dig out and head home. We don't do city stuff, and our locals can handle themselves. In 30 years here the school has only done one snow day and that came about because they needed to plow out about 18" of packed snow and ice in the parking lot.

1Minute
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dennis;
Good afternoon again sir.

Your decision both on the tire brand and going with larger rims is eminently logical in my view.

As you likely know since it's not your first rodeo, there's provincial websites in both Alberta and BC which give up to the minute updates on road conditions. Forecasting is way, way better than it was even 5 years ago too, so your plan to carry and install if needed should work fine.

If you ever get our way on Highway 97 either way, feel free to give me a shout and I'll do my best to get some food, beverages or both into you.

Merry Christmas to you folks once again Dennis.

Dwayne

Merry Christmas, Dwayne to you and yours. You too, Jeff.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/22/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Seafire
Gee Dwayne, if there is a class guy around here, you gotta be it!

Dennis, didn't see it mentioned elsewhere so I'll post it...

in deep snow, contrary to modern tires available.. the skinnier the tire is, the better it is in deep snow...

tires like 31 x 10.50 suck in heavy wet snow like you'll encounter...
they provide the same flotation on snow, like they would on sand...
flotation on sand is good... not so good on heavy wet snow...they will turn into a pair of skis like my brother sadly found out
when he moved to Minnesota for a couple of years....

wiped out his F 150 in about 3 weeks into snow season.... he moved there coming back to the mainland after living in Hawaii for about 10 years
so he had no winter driving experience....

This in spades!

Momma is still cussing me for replacing the tires on her Durango with new ones 1.5 inches less in width. But I know she is much safer in winter road conditions.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 30+ years of living in AK, I've never found a real need for studded tires.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The need is regional for sure.

Dennis
Another thing to complicate your plans, winter may be over by April.

3 years ago I drove to walla walla to pick up my gooseneck horse trailer in March. Very little snow and quite dry and warm conditions both ways. I still had studded tires on, but did not run into anything that warranted them.

I’ve had studded snows off all vehicles early to mid April the last three years, FWIW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have driven a lot of miles with siped tires of several varieties and am frankly unimpressed by them.
YMMV...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run studded tires. The disadvantages are a little extra cost and they are a little noisier especially at slower speeds.

If you are going to run a dedicated set of snow tires though I can’t see why you wouldn’t stud them. On ice and hard packed snow they are outstanding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing I learned long long ago,

One cannot get in a winter weather related driving accident if one is not driving in winter weather..........

It's not always an option, but when it's really nasty I tend to stay put.

Dennis, again, safe travels

Geno

PS, as someone else noted, I'm much more concerned with the other drivers that don't understand winter weather driving. Having seen them slide across intersections when they had the red light or stop sign, I'm sometimes very concerned.

Last edited by Valsdad; 12/23/19.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
The need is regional for sure.

Dennis
Another thing to complicate your plans, winter may be over by April.

3 years ago I drove to walla walla to pick up my gooseneck horse trailer in March. Very little snow and quite dry and warm conditions both ways. I still had studded tires on, but did not run into anything that warranted them.

I’ve had studded snows off all vehicles early to mid April the last three years, FWIW.

If I read the the rules correctly, BC requires snowflake rated tires until May 1st.

As an aside, I was with my buddy headed out to run some hounds this morning when we hit some ice on a bridge. We ended up slamming head on into the concrete wall and dogs went flying and we were both hurt pretty good- truck is totalled guns and bows ruined, tool box ruined. All the way around a really bad deal. I won't be taking chances with tires. I will get some dedicated winter tires to either take with me or put on before I leave. Snow doesn't bother me but ice is scary $hiit.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
It's not a really bad deal when all involved arent crippled or dead. Schit happens. PTL you are alive. It didnt have to end this good and very often doesnt.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you, your buddy, and the dogs are going to be okay. Had some pretty scary accidents in my life. I really shouldn't be alive. They sure make one think.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Recently an old couple ran a stop sign onto a major hwy. My son doesnt remember hitting them as his forehead busted the windshield. Not all survived.

You and he were blessed to not have broken necks from the sound of things.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/26/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Some states, including WA where I live, require studs to be removed between April 1 and November 1.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/studded-tires/

Last edited by OregonCoot; 12/26/19.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
After the accident yesterday, I wonder it studs on the tires, would have allowed you to stop good enough where you didn't hit the guard rails...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I run studded tires. The disadvantages are a little extra cost and they are a little noisier especially at slower speeds.

If you are going to run a dedicated set of snow tires though I can’t see why you wouldn’t stud them. On ice and hard packed snow they are outstanding.

I drive quite a bit of ice....a lot wind blown snow.....and canyon that has a lot of curves.....and dark spots..no sun hardly....

good tires....sip sp them...and don't be so gd cheap...stud them.....world of difference.....your advice is sound.....bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
After the accident yesterday, I wonder it studs on the tires, would have allowed you to stop good enough where you didn't hit the guard rails...

wouldn't hurt......studs help with braking...cornering...stopping and taking off...and they are cheap......also if you are going down the road and you feel the rear end get light...let off the gas and studs help the truck straighten out....

biggest thing though....slow down.....I see a lot of people off the road...….bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If I had lots of ice to drive on, I'd run these Kedge Grip tires in winter...

They have ground up glass and walnut shells mixed in the rubber.

https://www.treadwright.com/pages/kedge-grip

For dedicated winter/ice tires, I bring this back up.

They work. I ran nothing but these tires for years while ranching some of the roughest country in NM, and having to drive through ice/snow in the mountains.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
TTT

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,996
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.